Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Estrogen and Follicles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Estrogen and Follicles

What is the correlation of estrogen and follicles? What should the estrogen number be before ovulation. Can this number be affected if you are taking Femara. On CD11, I had  5 follis - 20, 15, 18, 17, 16, 12 but my estrogen was only 23, is it possible? My lining was so think 4 mm only.
not sure what the numbers should be! but I sure should ask next time! I feel like they are checking my estrogen weekly! and all they say is it correlates with having x amount of follies! hopefully someone can give you a better answer! : )
That doesn't seem possible.  Estrogen should be 200mg per mature follicle.  You have one at 20, so it should be at least 200mg.  But, you have several close to mature.  So, I would expect it to be more like 600mg.  23, sounds very suspect.  Do you have PCOS?

Don't know how it affects E2 levels, but I know it messes with your hormones.  What is your dr. saying about your estrogen?

From what I've understood, Femara is an estrogen inhibitor, so levels will be lower than normal right after you take the pills, but unlike clomid, it doesn't stay in your system, so your levels should go back to normal pretty quickly after. Since I'm also on Femara this cycle, I'm very curious to hear what your levels are at your next appointment. Best of luck,  G_S, and keep us posted!!!
I agree with Lisa.. that sounds like a weird number.  I just had an IUI and my level was over 200 at day 8.  And I only produced 2 mature follicles.  Ask them again what the number is.
Yes. I do have mild PCOS. My doc did a US and bloodwork again on CD13...the follis had not grown futher infact some were shrinking. The blood work showed progesterone at 1.18, which they said meant I had not ovulated. The FSH was 7.9...which I have no clue what should be in CD13 or what does it signify. The esterogen had moved up from 23 to 44 now. Lining was better ...close to 6. (Wondert if it can grow2-3 mm in a day).
This cycle is very wierd....infact I am thinking it is almost busted.
My doc said not to worry...according to him I was doing very well for just Femara and this cycle I was apparently having a delayed response to Femara.
I would think that even though the follis were blown up, they were not mature enough and thus the estrogen was low...and maybe that's why I have not had a surge until now. My doc has asked me to do OPK kit until CD17 and if I do not get a surge I will go again for US on CD17. Depending on that he will see if I need a trigger or IUI this cycle or not.
My husband left for an international trip for 3 day and am praying that I do not ovulate until he comes back on CD17.
So that's where I am...hopes are low on this cycle now even though they were very high when I saw so many follis.
Any inputs are appreciated
Also the doc said that Femara can skew the estrogen numbers...but they will come back up soon
any inputs anyone?