Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
FSH estradiol

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

FSH estradiol

I had bloodwork done today (cd4 - but it shiould have been cd3)   I had my FSH and estradiol tested, they said that the results were "great" . I didn't have a pen when they called with them, but i think one was 46 and the other was 6 or 9. Anyhow what does that mean? Also If they are concerned that I not only have severe endo, but maybe mild PCOS, does having normal lab values on the FSH and estradiol mean that I dont' have PCOS?  (I have normal periods every month! and no other symptoms of PCOS!)   Thanks so much for any help! its greatly appreciated!
46 would be your estradiol(E2) and 6 or 9 would be your FSH.  FSH should be under 10 and E2 should besomewhere between 20 to 80 (this will vary a little bit b/w lab and Dr preference).  The FSH is a measure used to determine egg quality/reserve-under 10 is good.  For that number to be considered accurate the E2 has to be within the range above.  I don't know anything about PCOS so I can't help with that.  
With PCOS, I would think they would also test Lh. Actually, most day 3 panels include it anyway. One sign of PCOS is chronically high levels of Lh. I'm no expert, I just read way too much, lol.

Confirm the FSH # with your dr, too. While 9 is still considered in the normal range, 6 would be a lot better #. I bet it is 6 and not 9. CD4 is just fine for the b/w, sometimes CD3 is not possible, especially if it falls on a weekend. I did CD4, too.

Even if estrogen levels are in range, thyroid can still be low(sign of pcos). Did he mention anything about a thyroid panel? I found a site that is packed full of good info on pcos. I am still surprised your dr hasn't done an u/s to look at your ovaries to see if they are cystic. HTH

http://www.advancedfertility.com/pcos.htm
Thanks so much for the helpful info ladies!!!! Yea my RE has done LOTS Of ultrasound, but this is my second month with him, and last mnoth I had a dominant follie, so i guess we couldnt' see all those little ones.. yesterday they did it and thats when i had 15-20 small follies on my ovary..and thats what made them suspcious..
  SO i just called their office ( this morning i thought ok its cd5 i'm going to take an OPK and see if its positive - it was!!! : (       )   So i called them and had them add an LH to the panel too, to get a better feeling if this is really another diagnosis of mine!  
   In the past I have had negative OPK's  until around O day... but i have tested (out of boredom or stupidity) later in my cycle and had positive opks..   so we'll see.
   No mentio nof a thyroid panel - are people hypothyroid that have pcos? or hyperthyroid?   I have a super fast metabolism, and none of the signs of hypothyroid (or pcos or endo! ha!)  

Thanks for the info and I'll look at that website!