Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
FSH really fluctuating..and accuracy of test

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I am in my late 30s and have been trying to conceive for about 7 months. I have a history of ovarian cysts and recently had a laproscopy done to remove minor endo and a couple of ovarian cysts. WHen I had my first Day 3 FSH test done in Oct it was 10- not an issue according to my RE. I had the test re-done in Feb when I was also having issues with some small cysts on my ovaries, and it came back 1.6!! Very low, but both gyn and RE said that was "very good". Now, question-don't ovarian cysts raise estrogen, therefore lowering FSH and giving a misleading result?? I mentioned this to my RE and he didnt seem concerned. My AMH is very low too, oddly. I had a laproscopy done in March to remove the minor endo and a big cyst was removed from my ovary. I also found out I am responding well to injections, and had my first IUI in April, produced lots of big follicles, and became pregnant but had an early miscarriage. So I started bleeding and cramping and figured, period was here so I went back and had my FSH re-done, along with the test for anti-sperm antibodies which I am on prednisone for. My FSH now is 12.8 and Im wondering if I had it done at the right time (though it was day 3).. I am trying not to obsess over the FSH. I cannot afford IVF right now , I am single, and can only continue trying naturally, and do another IUI in July. I am thinking since I am a good responder to meds, that maybe I am making a bigger deal out of this than I need to. I left a message for my RE's nurse to let her know of my lab results that my GYN did. Opinions please- thanks.
  • Very High FSH (74 replies):
    I turn 35 next month. TTC for 3 years. My RE called with...[more]
  • fsh high (5 replies):
    My fsh level was 14.4 in 2006 and now at 44 years old, I...[more]
  • FSH level 10 (2 replies):
    I am 33 this month, and I had my first FSH test 2 weeks ...[more]
  • fsh lavel (1 replies):
    i m of 22 n married since 2010. my fsh level is 7.90 and...[more]
  • High FSH Levels (181 replies):
    I just found out that I have an abnormally high FSH leve...[more]
You are correct, cyst raise estrogen which suppress FSH.  I just had a big cyst, my estrogen was 200 and my fsh was 8 which it is normally around 18.  Day 2 or Day 3 is the right time to do FSH.  Mine is elevated, most cycles so I know how you feel.  Many women get prego with higher FSH than me, so I keep ttc and I hope you do too! You might want to ask your dr about taking progesterone after you ovulate, since you just had a mc.  

Good luck,
Risa
thanks..and my doc did have me take progesterone lozenges. I did speak to his nurse about my fsh results. She says the good thing is I am responding well to meds..and had alot of eggs for my last IUI. So she thinks we should stick to what were doing. SSBD.