Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Feeling down, found out I have low Progesterone

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hello everyone,

I just found out I have low progesterone, 6.8 or something.  I am really upset because my doc is telling me I don't ovulate when my BBT shows clear shifts every month and my OPK's are positive around the same time, including CM.  I hate when they make you think you're crazy and don't believe you.  Can't you still ovulate and just have low progesterone?  I know with low progesterone you might miscarry but that doesn't mean you don't ovulate, right? I don't want to take Clomid if I don't need to.

She only did the results of the Day 22 bloodwork and will compare it to the Day 3 I took today.  She said either way we have to work on the low progesterone. But I just want to know if anybody has a progesterone level that low and still got pregnant?  

And does the vitamin B6 help with progesterone or just make the luteal phase longer?  I'm so lost right now.
Theory says anything above 4 indicates ovulation...but docs usually say above 10 is needed to be very sure whether ovulation has occurred or not. My 4 dpo progestrone was 11.4...but since i was using clomid that was considered a low number....but it did mean that i ovulated...as my u/s showed it..

why don't you ask your dr. if you can take pometrium right after you ovulate? then if you do get pregnant is will help your levels. i don't have a problem with progesterone levels and my dr. had me take it the past 3 months. as soon as i got my period i would stop taking it. i did not get pregnant until this past month on 100mg clomid- i took the progesterone (200 mg orally every night)the day after i ovulated... at 7dpo my prog. level was 69.1- it really shot my number up!
Thanks for the comments.  I feel a little better now.  The funny thing is, my luteal phase seems to be around 12-13 days but the temps do seem to fall during the last 3-4 days of the cycle.  

So if I were blessed to get pregnant without Clomid, I'd just have to hurry and get progesterone?  

Yesterday I started reading about balancing Estrogen and Progesterone and it seems Estrogen is taking over?  I did put on about 10 extra pounds lately and they say it hides in fat cells.  So I'm working on my diet & exercise too along with the supplements.  I'm sooooo trying to keep from having to have the HSG next month.
I have to go for my progesterone test in a couple of days, I am not looking forward to it because I am afraid it will be low.  I had a m/c on 1/18 when I had my blood test on 1/15 my progesterone was only 2.5 my doc put me on prometrium supp. but I guess it was a little to late for that so we are trying to catch it before it becomes a problem again.
I believe that you can still ovulate with low progesterone levels.  I just found out that I have a luteal phase defect due to my third miscarraige (miscarriage) because of low progesterone.  My progesterone levels are around 8 and I have been able to get pregnant.  Hope that helps.
Hopeful, I will definitely ask for the prometrium for right after I ovulate. Is Prometrium the same as progesterone? and can my regular GYN prescribe this? I haven't been to a specialist yet.  She wants me to do the HSG and did a final infertility blood workup on me before she recommends me to a specialist.

April, sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I didn't realize you could have a level that low and get pregnant but now I see it's possible but just not healthy to sustain a pregnancy.  So if your progesterone is still low, I'm sure you're going to ask for the Prometrium to take after you O too?

Thanks to you both for the responses.

Yes, that is the plan I still have the prometrium left over from m/c (yes prometrium is progesterone just a brand of it.  And your gyn can prescribe it)I am hoping all will be well, even if not atleast I know that my progesterone could have been what has kept me from conceiving for the past 2 years.
"In women, progesterone levels are relatively low during the preovulatory phase of the menstrual cycle, rise after ovulation, and are elevated during the luteal phase. In women progesterone levels tend to be < 2 ng/ml prior to ovulation, and > 5 ng/ml after ovulation." That is what I got off of wikipedia.  So I would think that yours would be okay!!
Dream away!!  It helps sometimes.  I wish you luck.  I know how hard it is waiting on a phone call =o)
Thanks for that info!  I was thinking I was waaay off but I'm not too far from the norm.  I'm just dying to hear back after my day 3 results.  I think they also test HCG in that one???  I was hoping she would call back saying surprise, you're pregnant and your HCG levels are like 5,000.  WOW, that would make my day!  Oh well, let me wake up from dreaming.  :-)
I was in exactly the same situation you are in. I have been ttc for 5 months; have gotten a positive on my ovulation predictor test every single time, in addition to the other telltale signs of ovulation.  however, when I was tested, my progesterone was low (8.9).  Doctor wanted to put me on Clomid right away, but my gut instinct told me I didn't need it, that I was ovulating. I went back and forth, whether to take Clomid or Prometrium. I finally decided to go with Clomid (I see it as maybe treating the cause, not just the symptom, of the low progesterone?). This is my first cycle taking it, and I'll go in for another progesterone test on 3-13.  From what I understand, you need higher levels of Progesterone to maintain a pregnancy, so whatever you decide to do, I think you need to do something to get the levels up.  Best wishes!
Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm dreading the Clomid because they say it dries you out and your ovulation might become unpredictable with that too, I think.  But I will do whatever it takes and I'm going to try the Prometrium first.  Next cycle I will consider the Clomid.  I'm scheduled for an HSG the end of the month so we'll see what happens then.

Thanks!
I am 25 and my husband and i have been trying to concieve (conceive) now for about 15mo to no avail. i went for a progesterone test on 5/3 and found out it was extreamly low 2.4 even though the ov kit showed i had ovulated. im very disheartend by this news. i have no idea what happens next and we are very ready to start our family. any help at all would be great. thnx
Your doc will probably prescribe a treatment, like clomid pills, that will help you ovulate.  Now that you know what's wrong you can fix the problem and get prego!!  Good luck!
I used to get 1.2 for my progesterone levels.  Since I started clomid,  they became 45 and then 64 and this month 120.  I am not sure why the H*** I am not pregnant yet.  Like you I am just wondering why this things are weird.  This was our fourth month and I don't think I want to know my progesterone level anymore.  teehee since I think high level does not mean you have a great chance anyway.  I hope prometrium works for you. :)

My temps also drop 3to 4 days before my period.  I think it drops when the egg was released but did not get fertilized. Because fertilization did not occur your body stops producing high levels of progesterone and the lining sheds.. Well at least this is what I have read.  
experts? what do you think of my comment.  Correct me if I am wrong.  I just read that form the internet.
So I was able to get pregnant and unfortunately had a m/c but I insisted that my midwife check my progesterone levels and sure enough they were ULTRA low. It took us 8 months to get pregnant and then to lose the baby was beyond devastating. I am going on my 4th month now post m/c and am just taking natural progesterone cream but I am considering going to something stronger. What is the difference between Clomid and Prometruim? I will be calling my doctor this week to discuss details. I would love some advice. Almost every night I dream of holding my baby in my arms ... I cannot wait for my dreams to become my reality!