Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Femara and Ovidrel. Need help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Femara and Ovidrel. Need help

Hi All,

Baby Dust to Everyone.

After my HSG was normal, I had a review with my Doctor. The doctor prescribed me Femara from the 3rd day of my cycle for 5 days and has asked me to take an Ovidrel shot. They are monitoring me on Blood work and Ultrasound to make sure I ovulate and then have the Inter on time. Please help I am very anxious and I have started thinking more about this. I want to be relaxed adn just not worry about this but the moment I am free, I think of it. I am spending hours together on the internet to find out answers. I will be relaxed if I get some encouragement from you. Is there anyone who has success of Femara and Ovidrel in the first cycle or how many cycles does it usually require?

Please help. Baby dust to all again!!!
Hi Mylilone,

I'm on my second cycle with Femara and Ovidrel, and we actually just did IUI today. What is it that you are so worried about specifically? I haven't had any bad side effects so far from either drug, although I have to admit I had a tough time giving myself the needle. I ended out having hubby do it for me. As for how long it takes to get your bfp, it really differs from person to person. Some people will get lucky on the first round and other have to keep moving up the ladder.

I got pregnant with my son when we weren't even ttc but now that we're trying for another, it's been over a yr and a half. So we're being a bit more aggressive with treatment, if this month is bfn, we're moving on to ivf.

Good luck!
I'm sure everything will work out fine for you. Especially since your tubes are open (which I found out today through a HSG that mine are open too) you'll just need the medicine to help you ovulate and release the egg. I do have a question for you though. What is difference between Femara and Clomid? After having my progesterone checked on cycle day 21 she mentioned to me that I may need that because the levels were low. I wondered if Femara was a different drug that gave similar results. Good luck to you!
Thanks so much!! Glad to know that you tubes are open too.. Femara is similar to clomoid. I have heard clomoid has few side effects and it takes long for one to conceive. I would suggest talk to your doctor and get Femara if possible. But again it depends upon ones body and that is how the doc decides what you go for. I have irregular cycles and I don't ovulate on my own. That is why I was asked to take it. Do you also have irregualr cycles?

Good luck to you!! Hope things work out well soon!!!
Great to hear that you are already a mommy and trying for second child.. My doctor has just asked me to take the Femara and ovidrel.. I am not going for IUI. Not sure why.. I really feel good after reading your response. Yes, I have a plan of asking my hubby to do the needle for me. I am scared as well. I hope we hear the good news soon. I had one question, How many days after Femara did you take the needle? Did you go for a Blood work and ultrasound to make sure you are not ovulating on your own? Good luck to you!!
Thanks for that information. I'll ask my OB about femara versus clomid. My OB mentioned clomid but honestly, I don't understand why. I get the impression that people who have irregular cycles and don't ovulate use clomid. My cycles are very normal and have been for quite sometime. I go pretty much every 28-30 days in between cycles. However, I did have a progestrone test done and my count was very low so she assumed that I might not be ovulating. I've used OPKs three times and have gotten positive surges each time but still no baby. I know it's not my husband because he's had a sperm analysis and everything came back normal. I'm waiting to hear back from my OB as to what she suggest I do next. I'm definitely going to ask her! Thanks again!
I took clomid even though I have very regular cycles but after checking my progesterone and estrogen levels my estrogen was to high which for me it meant my eggs were not maturing took first cycle of clomid 5-9 hcg shot on Wednesday ultrasound say to good follicles estrogen level after hcg was 1400 I am told for rash mature follicle 200-300 of estrogen so maybe I have around 3-4 eggs for iui in the morning.i am 36 years old also.
Thanks for the info. Trying to get a better understanding of all this information!
I actually asked my Dr about Clomid when she prescribed Femara, and she said Femara basically does the exact same thing as Clomid but with fewer side effects. And I have to say, my worst side effect has been a few hot flashes. Hubby says that the birth control pill made me more moody than Femara :-)

As for the Ovidrel shot, I took Femara from day 3-8 and went back for an u/s on day 10. Follicles were still too small so back again on day 12. This time they were good size so hubby gave me the shot (belly hurts less than leg!) that night and then we did IUI on day14.

I can't believe it hasn't even been a week yet. The 2 ww is the WORST!
Femara alone never did it for me. I ended up doing combo cycles of Femara cd3-7 and menopur injections cd8-10ish with a trigger shot when my follicles were mature. This gave me more eggs in each go. This particular cocktail gave me healthy singleton pregnancies twice. Both on the first cycle. I think it all comes down to finding out what works best with your body. Good luck and hope this method brings you that bfp.
I went to the doctor on CD9 and I had 15 follicles on each side and they were 5mm. I went back for an u/s today CD 11, the follicles were 8mm. She asked me to come back on thursday. Are my follicles going t be grow by then? I am just hoping i dont lose this cycle. How many days do they monitor and when should I ovulate ideally? Any hlp would be appreciated.
I had a 20mm follicle on Tuesday and the doctor asked me to take my shot in the night and BD for 3 days continously. The day I took the shot was little tiring as the day was very busy and was very tired. Next day I was normal and I didnt have any side effects except mood swings. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have a pregnancy test scheduled on may 8th.. Hope it works magic for us..

How is it going with you?