Ferning Before
Have any of you experienced mass ferning right before and during your period.  Since I started using my ovulation microscope and "searching for ferns", I ferned only on 1 day (day 13) until right before and during my period.  I know that hormonal changes (an increase in estogen I think) can cause ferns, but several days in a row?  And, by only having ferns on 1 day, I am assuming that this was NOT ovulation.  I also chart my BBT, but have also had NO luck with it either.  There is no pattern to it, so again, I am assuming that I did NOT ovulate.  I also know that pregnancy cause cause days of ferning, but I am having a period AND I also tested and was negetive.  Any explainations?  Also, a different question:  Have any of you had reoccuring yeast and bacterial infections?  I have had 5 since my miscarriage on 8-5-06.  Again, I know that hormonal changes can cause you to have these, but 5 different episodes since August?  I have never had any indications of diabetis. Any help would be appreciated.
What is ferning???
When you use a ovulation microscope, if you are fertile or about to be fertile, you will see a pattern that resemembles the leaves of a fern- sort of like frost on a windshield or something.  You spit on these microscopis lens and your saliva will tell you.  The increase in estrogen is what causes it.  It's pretty cool and it is supposed to tell you 2 or 3 days before ovulating whereas BBT only tells you afterwards and over a period of several months.
I use an ovulation microscope and I noticed the same thing. Maybe that's normal? I'm not really sure but I also notice it before, during, and after my period. I think I'm just going to quit using it during that time and just use it when I think I might be ovulating - although I've had it show ferning on more than one day during my cycle too, but at least it gives me an idea. I also read somewhere to make sure that you don't eat or drink anything beforehand...
Don't know if anyone will see this but I use the microscope and after this question did some research of my own. Here is what I found:

What kind of ferning pattern "schedule" or result timeline can I expect?
For most women, results patterns will conform to the following general schedule, though variables
like cycle length and intensity/duration of estrogen surge may influence results. As a general guideline, this is what you can expect to see. Notice how the timeline matches the graph below!

Hi there,

I too am using the lens to check for ferning, and am completely confused about when I ovulate. I know that one typically ovulates around day 14 or so, but I'm hardly seeing any ferning around that time - yet, I'm seeing tons at the end of my period, and just after. I'm also taking ovulation (pee) tests, and haven't yet found a surge. Oye. Has anyone had any luck/ have suggestions?? Thanks!

-Jamie