Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Fertilization Results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Fertilization Results

Hi all, I had an egg retrieval yesterday and was super excited when I was told the Dr. retrieved 18 eggs.  I just got the call and of those 18, only 6 were mature.  2 of which had abnormalities so we are left with 4 embryos for ET on Wednesday.  I feel disappointed we dont have more to work with given the amount of eggs retrieved.  Am I looking at this the wrong way?  Based on only 4 fertiliized, it looks like we'll be doing a day three transfer versus a 5 day...does this also seem right?

help, I am confused and don't know whether to be excited or disappointed.
So sorry about your embryo #'s.  4 out of 6 mature eggs is a pretty good fertilization rate.  Depending on how many you want to transfer you probably are looking at a day 3 transfer.  I was so disappointed when I got a call about having only 3 half decent embryos on day 3 but one of those embryos came with me from the hospital last week and she is perfect!

Good luck to you!!
I can totally relate to how you are feeling....but, first, you should definitely be excited that you have 4 fertilized eggs, as you know, it only takes one.  I do understand how you feel when you think those #'s are going to be bigger than they end up being.  Our last cycle they saw about 16+ follicles, but only ended up with 7 eggs and only 3 fertilized.  I was devastated when they told me that news.  We did a day 3 transfer and they transferred 2 back (5 cell and 7 cell).  Unfortunately, that cycle was not successful, but again, after the initial shock of the low #, I really tried to stay positive about the fact that I only needed one.  Our last couple of cycles, we were able to get 14 eggs with 11 fertilizing and 5 to transfer back, so I was expecting the same thing on our last cycle, which didn't happen.  Try to stay positive and pray that those 4 little embryos stay strong and keep dividing and will be ready to stick when you do your transfer!  Good luck and I'll keep you in my prayers.  Keep us posted!
Thanks Ladies,
I guess I just expected more mature eggs.  To top it alll of the nurse was rude to me when I asked questions and when we are in an emotional state, this doesn't help.  I guess I just pray those four little guys hang in there until wednesday.  Honestly, I thought I was handeling this all so well until just now.  Ugghhhhhh.
Hang in there my dear.  I now sometimes we get news we do not want to hear as we had hopes and expectations up much higher.  All will work out in the end.  Remember, it only takes one.  Take it one day at a time and remain positive and faith-filled.

xo,
marline
Hey Andrea

This happened to me a few weeks ago.

I woke up to find I had 12 eggs collected (10 mature). I was so excited!

BUT out of my ten, only 4 fertilised and 3 made it to blast and I had one transferred and the others werent good enough to freeze.

So its all random and horrible but I did have 3 that made it to blasto. However there have been so many girls who have had successes with 3 day transfers. I hope this is the case for you.