Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Folicle size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Folicle size

Hi, I am 29 years, On day 10 my follicle size on the left was 9 mm and right was 8 mm. How do i increase the size of the follicle desired for conceiving. I am a thyroid patient and my thyroid levels are under control.

What is the optimum size required?
I am also a thyroid patient.  Are you using follicle stimulating hormone?  I used menopur + clomid, and my day 10, I had four follicles, size 21, 20, 17 and 13.  My doctor likes them to be at least 20.

Allison
I think the follicles grow about 2 mm a day, so assuming everything is on track, yours should be around 20 mm in about 6 days or so. Will you be getting another ultrasound?
Heather, you're EVERYWHERE!  :)  These are great questions: what IS the minimum size a folli can be in order to maintain a healthy pregnancy?  If it is at a low number when conception occurs, can it still mature and be healthy AND continue to mature?  
I feel like my questions might be a bit ridiculous....but I'm really just trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!
The minimus size is 18mm,and recently i made a post on the size and found that the rapid growing follicle may even grow witout an egg,,so thats why the DR look for rupture,,3 days after the trigger shot,, even i am in the same trouble,,slow growing follilce,,,tomorrow 12thday,,iam going forU/S,,,
u know one more thing,,,the folicle should be of good quality and mature between 13-17days,and read there are 40percent chance of miscarriage if we conceive with the egg that is matuirng after 20,,,,u find there are still good chances of good conception on 18,19,20.
If the egg mature after day20,,,we get pregnant, as we are already aware of miscarriage we take precaution like bedrest an ask our DR for more,,,,to carry healthy way upto delivery,,,,,,
There are many positives dear,,,hope this helps,,,,goodluck  ,,, r u going on IUI or natural trying?
sorry tha message was for you too,,,i jsut forgot to mention ur name dear,,take care,,hope my reply helps,,,,
Hi again BabyLessinSeattle :-) I agree with Sri! A follicle is considered mature once it reaches 18 mm, and in general, I don't think it ruptures until it reaches at least that size. So, if the follicle ruptured, the egg should be mature.
Why did my doctor not tell me that? Are you reading a book I'm not reading?!  :) (seriously, is there a better book out there? I've devoured Taking Charge of Your Fertility already!). Thank you so much!
Extremely helpful information, Sri! Thank you so much!  This cycle is Letrizole with (not so timed?!) intercourse. Next cycle we'll try Letrizole with IUI if it all works out. We'll see.
Good luck to you! Are you on a fert.drug, too?!

No book....just been TTC for too long, with two miscarriages and still no baby. So I've probably spent too much time researching all this. LOL! I'm sure there are some exceptions to the rule, but when you have a natural LH surge and ovulation, chances are the follicle was mature, since this process normally won't start unless it's mature.
good luck to everyone,,
Hi! My doctor diagnosed that my folicles ruptured at an very early stage, she calls it pre-mature rupture, the size of follicles was just 11mm and 12 mm. Can I still be pregnant this month?

Regards