Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
For those who use baby aspirin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

For those who use baby aspirin

Ladies, those of you who use baby aspirin i have a question. I started taking it last cycle before i got my period and when my period come it was thick blood and more darker, not natural red flow as other times. Do you have that or the period is the same? I'm afraid that the baby aspirin thickens my blood.
Baby aspirin is actually a blood thinner.  It's meant to help prevent clots.  This is my second IVF cycle on baby aspirin, and the first cycle I had a miscarriage, so I really can't speak to whether my period was the same or not, sorry.
Hi Jenny....I took baby aspirin too and I had a healthy baby girl....  I know that the aspirin increases blood flow to the uterus, so maybe that's why it seemed heavier...  the aspirin will not thicken your blood.....I noticed when I first started taking it, I actually had a small nose bleed around that time...  Your blood flow is just increased....

I wouldn't worry about it.  I'd keep taking it.
That's right...Baby asprin is a blood thinner used to prevent clots. I was put on it in one clomid cycle ...from CD 1 though the day of ovulation. Was asked to stop it after ovulation. Dont know the reason.
But what i know is that it is used to prevent blood clotting. Maybe I was asked to have it because in the same cycle I was on E2 patches...not sure it that causes clots.
Women who have had three or more recurrent miscarriages are given baby aspirin as a part of their protocol, usually through the first trimester, some through the whole pregnancy.  Most women I know that take it are going to wait until that point, so RE's will recommend it as a 'just to be safe' protocol, since, according to my RE, there is no evidence that it does any harm, so take it.

I have not experienced any changes in my period because of the aspirin...are there other medications that you are also taking?  Those can have an affect.
I have a major change in my periods when taking baby aspirin and BCP. The blood seems very dark. But for me my periods would be very light. I thought it was odd that my periods were like that but my nurse says everyone is diffferent. Its true but a general statement. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck
In testing done this summer (after two miscarriages and a break down in my regular doctor's office that spawned a referral to a specialist...) it was found I have a blood clotting issue - and baby aspirin is the treatment.  It was our third round on baby aspirin and prometrium that worked - I'm not at 17 weeks and doing just fine.  

The two cycles that I didn't get pregnant when I was on the aspirin - my periods were normal from what I can remember.  The first one I cramped a ton - not sure why...

Good luck!
I have had two miscarriages and am wondering about aspirin therapy.  When do you start taking the aspirin?  Immediately, as in before you begin trying to get pregnant?  Are there any risks to the pregnancy?  Do you take it for the whole pregnancy?  For some reason my Dr did not recommend aspirin, just recommends the progesterone supplement at ovulation.  Any advice would help!  Thanks!
I take it while TTC. It was recommended by my RE. There shouldn't be any risks as long as you take the baby aspirin (81 mg), and not regular-strength aspirin. And you would just take one a day.

Good luck to you!
Thank you for the info.  Do you continue to take the baby aspirin throughout the pregnancy?  Is RE a reproductive specialist doctor?

Thanks for the good wishes, and same to you!
My RE recommends baby ASA until week 20. I started it right after embryo transfer. It is to prevent miscarriage and increase blood flow.
Thanks, Sunny! Yes, an RE is a Reproductive Endocrinologist (or fertility specialist). In my case, I think I would be taking it throughout pregnancy, but you can always ask you doctor about that when you do get pregnant :-)
I had dark blood and it was thick when I was on clomid. I take a baby aspirin a day b/c I have MTHFR.  It actually thins your blood.  Are you on clomid?
Hi i have sticky blood syndrom (syndrome) firdt month of takeing asprin daily i was due on my period today but yssterday i had brown blood when i whiped today i have a light pink blood which i assumed is my period i put on towl n theres only spotting but wen i wipe this pale pink blood is there. My periods normally for three days n its normally red blood for two days third lightens has anyone had this problerm i cant find info on it