Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
For women with PCOS, PMS, anxiety, autoimmune disorders, persistent fat...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

For women with PCOS, PMS, anxiety, autoimmune disorders, persistent fatigue or brown menstrual bleeding

Hi, I know that many women on this site are looking for alternative answers or therapies, as well as trying to take control of their own health/bodies!  After my failed IVF, I needed other answers and through a series of occurences, I have found myself starting a protocol of low-dose naltrexone (4.5 mg at night)!  I believe that this medicine will not only help my fertility issues, but also other health issues that I have (fibromyalgia; low bbt and other hypothyroid symptoms, despite "normal" tsh levels; suspected IBS, etc.)  I found the following information and thought that it explains it best, in laymen terms, and just wanted to share!  I hope to be posting my long-awaited BFP in the next few months! :)  Good luck to all and thanks for reading!!

"Infertility is one of the endorphin deficiency states. LDN increases endorphin levels and helps the immune system heal, factors that increase and enhance fertility.
Low dose naltrexone (LDN) has been used off label for the treatment of infertility and recurrent miscarriage by Dr. Thomas Hilgers, founder of the Pope Paul VI Institute for the Study of Human Reproduction, at Creighton University in Omaha Nebraska since the early1990s. Used as part of a treatment protocol known as NaPro Technology, LDN has been used as a treatment for infertility since 2004. The goal of NaPro Technology is to increase endorphin levels near the time of ovulation.

Patients who benefit from LDN treatment include:

Patients with premenstrual symptoms lasting for 4 or more days each cycle
Patients with endometriosis or polycystic ovarian disease (PCOS)
Patients with persistent brown menstrual bleeding
Patients with persistent fatigue or sleep disturbances
Patients with low mood or excessive anxiety
Patients with a personal or family history of autoimmune disease, including autoimmune infertility"
Hi Wanting4#1.  I was searching LDN and PMS and I found your post.  My doc started me on LDN last week for unexplained infertility.  I am looking to find out other people's experiences with LDN.  
Did the LDN help you with sypmtoms of PMS or anxiety (if this was an issue for you to begin with)?  I started right before I ovulated and so far my PMS is just as bad as ever, but I am hoping that it just takes some time to work (I started on 1.5mg, I will increase to 3mg after 7 days, then to the full dose of 4.5mg after 7 more days).
Were you generally happy with the LDN?
Hi luckypenny -
Unfortunately, LDN didn't work for me for any of my conditions!! I had increased vividity in my dreams and was very irritable and anxious on it!  I do think that you are on a better protocol...my doctor started my on the full dose from the get-go.  When I asked to go to a lower dose (after reading MULTIPLE sites that indicated that LDN should be started low and built up), he said that he had never heard of it, but would do it for me and reduced my level to, I think, 2.0 mg.  It still didn't help and I was too uncomfortable on it to continue using it!

There is an entire Yahoo group dedicated to people who use LDN for 'off-label' purposes. You might find better resources there!