Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Frustrated with insurance company!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Frustrated with insurance company!

Ok, so I just need to vent a little bit. I had to call my stupid insurance company because I'm going to a different fertility clinic next week and since I have a new insurance company I needed some info on what they would cover if anything. So this is the part that doesn't make any sense to me. They cover all testing and consults to TEST for infertility but they do NOT cover any treatment FOR infertility? Now what the heck is the point of finding out you are infertile but then not being able to do anything about it?! That makes me mad. Ugh. I hate insurance companies.
Yeah, I know...I think they should all cover infertility treatment. If it makes you feel any better, my insurance company doesn't even cover consultations or testing. It's all out of pocket. It just sucks!
I understand how you feel.  I have to spend money out of my pocket for all the injection med (repronex, follistim) and they only cover some and you have to pay some.  that's sucks.  I hate it.
how much does the injection meds cost? I'm really worried that's it's going to be extremely expensive. The sperm donor already costs $450 a month plus two IUI's is $500..so I'm not looking forward to the costs of the meds and the u/s!
last time i bought Repronex cost me about $300 for 4 vial.  This cycle I bought Follistim from one of the pharmacy that's my dr gave me and it's cost me $250 for 4 vial.  

The doctor charge me $350 for IUI.

Last month alone, I spent almost $1000 for meds, IUI, sonogram, etc....

This month I do expect about the same.

Scary huh?.......  that's why i said financially i am burn.  
Most insurance are like yours - they test to TELL you that you are infertile (hate that word!) but then you are on your own. Talk to the doc - sometimes they can "fix" things when they file insurance to get some stuff covered. Talk to them about it.... I am extremely lucky - my insurance pays for 70% of fertility stuff (drugs, scans,etc). It is still expensive - I am not going to lie to ya. With insurance I paid about $250 for my meds (6 menopurs, ovidrel shot(HCG), and needles and stuff). With the U/Sounds - that part hurt me. Everytime my RE sticks that DAMN probe up my crotch and glances around and takes my estrodial (spelling?) levels - it costs me $94 dollars with insurance! The total charge is like $335 or something - that is what they bill my insurance company. They only saw me two times for the blood and U/S but that was in 3 days (I paid $200 in 3 days!!). So if you count the gas I have to use to drive 45 mins each way to the clinic, the blood tests, shots, clomid, everything - I spent about $600 out of pocket (remember this was not using an IUI and I had a 70/30 split with my insurance) for one month. Frankly I have no idea how people pay for it out of pocket. I am a teacher tho - so I am pretty poor :)

Without insurance I would guess the menopur, clomid, ovidrel was about $775 before my insurance kicked in. So, it is a pretty penny. I don't mean to get you dwn but I would hate for someone to lie to me. This stuff is expensive. Is there anyway you can get a cheaper donor? I know that sounds stupid but I would try to cut corners all I could. I would also ask the clinic if there is a discount they can give to you since you don't have insurance. You never know!! HUGS and GL with everything!
thanks for all the info. It will be challenging this month for sure but me and my DH always seem to come up with money to pay for it. We'll be in debt until we're 50 if we have to! The closest sperm bank to me is in IL and they are $200/vial plus $50 for shipping. In order to increase our chances we have been doing back to back IUI's so that's even more. I've had a total of 12 IUI's in 6 cycles..it's pretty crazy that we are able to pay for that many already! I am a college student and don't graduate until May so I know what you mean about being poor..my DH supports us on his own as of right now. He tells me I HAVE to get a job ASAP..haha.