Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Graves diease and wanting to become pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I’ve just been diagnosed with graves disease and started taking  Neomercazole. Thing is I’ll be 42 soon and have been trying to get pregnant the last 6months.I’m supposed to be having RAI but I’m reluctant as then I’ll have to wait a year before I can start trying again .
My big fear is not been able to get pregnant after as that will throw me into 43 to 44 bracket and the fear of become infertile all together. My gut feeling is to put of the RAI and just see if the meds get me up to speed to help me fall pregnant and then just put the RAI on hold altogether. So I’m just wondering
1.Has anyone found it easier or is it possible to fall pregga’s whilst on meds with graves disease!!!
2.Or does RAI increase my chances of been able to conceive and I’m better of putting bubba on hold!!!
Please some advice anyone=)
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
1. In women with Graves’s disease the disease should be well controlled before pregnancy is planned. Poorly treated or uncontrolled Graves can lead to problems like preeclampsia, placental abruption, and miscarriage in the mother. It can cause problems for the baby like prematurity, stillbirth, low birth weight etc. During pregnancy, you will need to see both your obstetrician and an endocrinologist.
2. Radioactive thyroid is used to treat an over-active thyroid gland, to reduce thyroid activity caused by nodules and as an alternative to surgery. A woman should avoid conceiving for six months, after radioactive iodine treatment. A woman who had radioactive iodine to treat Graves' disease in the past should tell her  doctor since your baby will need careful watch for thyroid-related problems which may occur in the later stages of pregnancy.
It is best to discuss all your doubts with your doctor before taking any decision. Do keep me posted with more queries. Best luck and regards!