Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HCG Trigger Shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

HCG Trigger Shot

Hello ladies, I have researched on the web and through this forum but don't have much info on the HCG Trigger shot.  I had 4 follies today at my ultrasound, 17, 21, 23 & 27 MM so they gave me a HCG.  It was mostly because my DH is going out of town this weekend.  Anyway, what are your experiences with the HCG?  How long after receiving the shot do you ovulate?  Any and all other info is welcome!
You should O about 36 hours after the trigger.  So, if you have IUI it would be scheduled exactly 36 hours after HCG.  If you just bd then you can start right after the trigger!!

4 follies is a good #.  I think you really have a good chance this cycle.  Good luck!!!
Yep, 36 hours!  I have had three....I think I O later than that though......like at 40-41 hours.  Good luck!  Those are nice size follies!  Anything over 18....especially in the 20's!

Heather
Thanks ladies, I had two 26 MM last month one resulted in a cyst.  Regardless, I was thinking/praying for twins but ended up with nothing.  I didn't have the trigger but this is my first shot.  Perhaps that can control the timing a bit better.  Then again after 20 failed attempts (I have never tried anything and failed at it 20 times) I know it isn't a timing thing.  I can see my charts, it isn't a timing thing.  I pray it is that my body needed that hormone to do what it needed to do.  Thanks for your support.  I will let you know in 16 days!
I just had my IUI today too! so we should be around the same timing!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!   i typically O 36 -37 hours later i think (well when they actually rupture!) good luck and keep us updated! : )
I had my 2  IUI"s on the 15th and 16th  as well.  GOOD LUCK to you as well, the hardest thing is this 2WW, it goes by so slowly and we are so intuned to our body with everything that we feel, down to every wipe of the toilet paper, checking for that darn AF!  You ladies all know what i mean!!!    Best of luck hoping for BFP    fit4fun
What are the side effects of the shot?
There aren't any side effects really.  Just like a flu shot I was sore on the one side.  The other thing is that I can't use OPK or HPT anylonger because they will be positive until the hormone leaves my body.  

babyhope1's Cyclebuddies:
bny807 - IUI May 16th
fit4fun - 2  IUI"s on the 15th and 16th  

We are all in the exact cycle, IUI on the 16th!!!!   We wil need each other so ladies, if you have any symptoms or are down...keep in touch!!!
I did ov after both of my trigger shots.  The first time I did chart my bbt about two days before I knew I would trigger.  Since I was on hormone shots before the trigger, I didn't bother to chart before that. This cycle, I didn't chart.  I also, for the first time, in about a year, had af arrive without taking provera. A sure sign that I did ov as well.

Good luck!

hi cyclebuddy!!! Best of luck to you this month, have you been testing with OPK,s?  I am wondering how accurate they are since I took clomid and an HCG shot.  fit4fun
While my RE said that I ovulated on my own (based on 61.1 LH) even though I was on Clomid and told to take my trigger that night and IUI the next day, I'm still swearing that it was the trigger that pushed that egg out. I literally felt it push out--never, ever felt that before. And it worked. Before it was just unmonitored Clomid and BFN.

Good luck. The trigger wasn't bad at all (Ovidrel). Just burned afterwards but no big woop.
I couldn't resist taking a HPT today because I knew it would be positive (due to the shot) but to my sruprise it was negative!!!  Hummm!?!?!  My theme this month was "stay positive" because I thought the test would be positive due to the shot then I would pray for it to stay that way secretly hpoing for internal motivation and happiness to see a test actually turn positive.  However, no such luck,  I am just wondering what my body did with all the hormone! Strange?
I took aHPT ($ tree one) the morning after my trigger (i took the trigger at night) and it was BARELY a positive. I just wanted to see the line :) I think it can take a bit to get into your system.

Now, it took my stupid body 4 days to O after my trigger shot. So, just baby dance alot before DH leaves. Just in case. I did get preggo the first time I took shots, trigger and used clomid together. Do you temp? Watch for a significant shift before you assume you O'ed (that is - IF you chart). So, go BD and start getting those guys in there.

PS: Anybody else feel bad for the sperm that pick the wrong tube? I mean, that has got to suck - I can almost hear them talking to each other - "Dude, we went the wrong way, I knew we should have took that right at the bend. That's what I get for listening to you". Here's hoping your dudes have Mapquest or GPS :)

Good luck sweetie!
OK Phew!  I am glad I am not alone with the HPT on CD 19 (WAY too early) curiosity.  I am glad to hear that others have also taken a HPT just to get a smile out of seeing a faint positive line.  Even if it isn't real, it is a spark of inspiration and calms the nerves just knowing I CAN turn that stick positive.  Well, its like all the HPT tests I buy are broken and they automatically turn negative, unbelievable.  I had the shot on CD 13 so I guess the hormone has left the building!!  :)  

What are you talking about with the sperm that picked the wrong tube?  Fallopian tube?  When you said that I was thinking the sperm bank that picked the wrong test tube.  Phew!  That is a way worse situation!  Too many IUIs for me, they always show me the sperm in the tube (test tube) so I can justify that it says my DH name.  Just because it says his name doesn't mean it is actually his!!!  No matter what, I will love a child that results and so will he.  Who knows, we may not even know the difference anyway if that were to happen.  
Amazing we all try the same thing!! We are taught to not take a HPT early and we still do, I took a HPT on cd 19 as well and was sad with the negative line, hoping the trigger shot may show a postitive still.  I am with you anxiously waiting for AF to show its face on cd 29 or not.  Good luck and hope we will turn positve, unsure of ovulation time this cycle.  I was using OPK's this time and it was difficult to track the lines, not sure how accurate these are with the clomid and HCG shot,  who knows.  How are you feeling?  My boobs are sore and I feel "swollen" soft all over, I can get this way premenstrual as well, time will tell, hopefully!!   fit4fun
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers