Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HCG shot

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

HCG shot

I have a mature follicle per US and I got a HCG shot today.  How does this work?  When should we have intercourse?  Does it always make the egg ovulate? The RE told me my OPK would be positive after getting this shot and I just took a test and it was negative... should I be concerned?
Thanks!!
If you have a mature follicle you should ovulate about 36 hours after shot.  Twice I have had an u/s about 32 hours after the shot, and the follicle was all jagged around the edges which meant I was just about to ovulated.  Both times I got pregnant.  

I only took an opk once after a shot, and I did get a positive, but I don't think it was the same day.  Try again tomorrow.  Or honestly, I wouldn't even worry about that.  The drug is in your system.. there is no question about that.  

If you aren't charting your basal body temp this cycle and you don't get pg this cycle, I would chart your temps next cycle.  It helps you know that you did o.  

If you got your shot on the 9/7, you should probably have intercourse (or bd) on 9/8 and 9/9.

Best of luck to you.  
Back in April I got and HCG trigger shot at 10am, we BD'ed that evening and the next evening.  Got a positive that cycle and am over 20 weeks pregnant right now.  I agree don't worry about the opk coming up negative - it doesn't even matter at this point.  You will ovulate regardless if you are having an LH surge or not right now.  But don't test for pregnancy too soon - I can't remember exactly but I think the nurse said to wait for 15 (or was it 17?) days past ovulation to test since the hcg stays in your system that long and can give you a false positive pregnancy test if you test too early.  Good luck!
Hi everyone...I'm not sure if you've heard of Kevin Trudeau's weight loss cure book... But I did that, and so was on the hcg shots for a continuous period of up to 40 days with doses of 200 IU. I understand that hcg is a fertility drug too. I got off of the shots on July 31 and had unprotected sexual intercourse on Aug 08, later that day I had my period which ended earlier than usual. I didn't think much of it until later that I was just on hcg and got a little worried. I then didn't think much of it AGAIN and had unprotected sex on the 24th and 27th of Aug. I am due for my period today but have not even had any signs of it coming on any time soon. I did notice however that I have been discharging this week. A thick yellowish/whitish creamy mucus, I feel wet and have to go to the bathroom and wipe off the discharge. Am I worrying over nothing or may I be pregnant? If so, do you think its too soon to have symptoms like this early on after just having sex on the 24th and the 27th? Or could this be the result of the 08th? Any information or advice given would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!!
I just had the HCG trigger shot on 8/28 but this was done in combination with US and a positive OPK.  I wasn't told I would still get a positive OPK after the injection but I was told I would get a positive HPT so don't rely on one until AF is due.  And that time isn't coming fast enough!!!

Good luck!
If you were given 10 units of hcg, it should be out of your system in about 10 days.  If you don't mind waiting until missed AF than it doesn't really matter, but if you are a chronic poas'er like so many around here, I recommend taking a hpt 10 days after hcg trigger shot.  If it is negative, than you will know any positive hpt after that is legitimate.  

Best of luck to you.  

Oh, I was thinking.. a hcg trigger shot does register on a opk... so maybe the reason you didn't get a poitive opk was because it had made it into your sytem, but it had not made its way out yet through your urine.  But I really wouldn't worry about that, because you know you got the shot.  All the opk would be doing is confirming the hcg was in your system.  
I am going to get the trigger shot tomorrow.  Can I bd 12 am or 1 am that night then the next nights around that time also.  Will I ruin my chances.  My husband loves 12 am and 1 am for some reason.