HSG Test
Well, AF showed this morning.  My doctor now wants me to have an HSG test, the dye test, I guess.  Has anyone had this before?  I heard it is painful.

I also asked if I could start the clomid regularly now.  I took it last month as part of a clomid challenge test.  They said no because they didn't want there to be any chance of an early egg for next week's test.  The HSG test has to be done by day 11.  They did say we could try this month at least which is good.

I'm just trying to keep my spirits up, but any info about that test would be appreciated!!
i have had 3. once when they found fibroids, then again after surgery. then one more to make sure tube was blockedThey were not painful just a little uncomfortable.They advise taking a ibuprofen. Good Luck
My advice, take 800mg. of Motrin 45 min. prior to your appt.  That may help.  Some doc. will perscribe valium to help calm you.  I was so nervous about this test that I was in the bathroom for 1/2 hour while all of the techs. were waiting!  It is really quick but sorry to say, it is painful.  It should take all of 3 min. to complete if they see no problems.  This is an important test to determine if there are any intrusions in your uterus and if your fallopian tubes are clear.  I know a few gals who got pregnant from BDing the same night as the dye test since the tubes are cleared out from the test.  It was easier for the sperm to travel into I guess.  Lastly, you will probably need a mini pad, there is some bleeding afterwards. It can last a few days (spotting).  Hope this info was helpful.
i had one and i took nothing prior to the test i forgot. it was very painful for me!! it was because my tubes were perfectly normal and thats why the pain it took 5 minutes but it hurt!! i hate to scare u but prepare yourself. good luck!
I took Ibuprofin before mine.....the pain takes your breath away but by the time I thought I might CRY it was over (it only hurt whenthey put the catheter in)  I had more pain when I suffered a LEG CRAMP when I tried to turn for a better view LOL...my advice .stretchout first LOL...it ios not that bad and definately worth knowing what is going on....I started clomid the next cycle and got BFP...good luck and SSBD
I had the test; I did not find it painful.  some slight cramping when the catheter went in, and some slight cramping after, but I definitely would not say painful.  Both of my tubes were open, so maybe that has something to do with it.   Good luck
Both of my tubes were open so it wasnt bad at all...just a bit of cramping...over and done with quick.
Thank you for all the info.  I'd rather be prepared for the worst and then maybe suprised if it doesn't hurt so bad.
The Doctor that did mine said it is good if you have pain...that means your tubes are open.  As soon as it was finished, there was no lingering pain...something to look forward to I guess?!?!?!?!?!  HA!
I would like to add that I just had one done this afternoon and was in sooo much pain I had to stop the test 3/4 of the way through.  
I had one back in February.  I know it affects everyone different, but it was really not that bad for me.  It did cause some cramping, but only for 1 or 2 seconds and then it was over.  Just take 3 or 4 advil an hour ahead of time, and don't worry about it.  It is over before you know it.  The worst part for me was all the unnecessary worrying I did beforehand.    
I had an HSG done 2 months ago and was almost in tears by the pain, we almos had to stop. I did take the advil but it didn't help. My doc found that the tubes were clear though. I know everyones different and hopefully for you it's not as painful. Good luck.
I just had the HSG test done today.  My docotor told me to take 800mg of Ibuprofen 1-2 hours prior to the procedure.  I must say I think that really helped.  I was very nervous and have to admit it was not a comfortable test but the pain is short lived.  If the radiologist inserts the dye slowly it hurts less.  The whole test did not take very long at all.  I also enjoyed being able to watch the whole the thing on the monitor.
I wish someone told me about the advil.  I will have to try that next month.  I really need to know if the tubes are blocked or just a bad FSH
HELLO!!  IM GOING TO HAVE A HSG TEST 01/19/2011 AN IM REALLY WORRIED ABOUT HAVING IT DONE IV HAD A BIOPSY DONE AN THAT WAS VERY PAIN FULL .PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS IF ITS THAT BAD PLEASE GIVE ME THE HEADS UP ..... THANKS
Hi, just had mine done yesterday, docs suspected blockage. I would like to mention that some docs will put u on antibiotics which you need to start 2 days prior to the procedure to prevent infection after the test. ( I forgot & started right after the test, which was fine). Then the day of u should take upto 600mg of advil, motrin or advil etc about 45mins prior to procedure (which I also forgot, but then I am on another pain med, which I took). For me it was a very very painful experience, was very queasy and thought was about to through up, but I got through it right before the tears came. It seems that if u do have blockage you will experience more pain as the dye has no where to go & just builds up. In my case the result was a bit unclear, they saw blockage on both tunes but also saw proximal portion filled with dye. They said that sometimes cramping(which was extreme in my case may have caused the blockage, so now I have to go foranother test, I think it's called Fallopian tube Catherization & canalization- apparently this can help to unblock the blockages. I am nervous about pain but my doc says they do not inject the dye forcefully & are much more gentle as the anticipate blockage. My last thought, it is definitely worth doing pain or no pain, keep breathing deep & u will get through it. Good luck & pls pray for me, I want this to Work  out, don't want have to go though IVF's.

Hi.. I'm goin to hv the HSG test next week.. i am so nervous to hv it.. any tips or how is it feel during the procedure?? huhu... :( :( how painful is that? Does it take long...?