Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HSG test?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

HSG test?

Hello All,

Here is the update from y'day. I went for review with my doctor and she said that she wld prefer continuing with Clomid, since she said that injection often tend to overstimulate the ovaries(especially for women with PCOS.

Secondly she said that she wld perform the HSG test on me, to make sure that fallopian tubes were open.

Can please someone tell me what this test is? And is it painful?

This time also she wants me to use the HCG(0vidruel) injection.

So, in short back to using Clomid 100mg, continuing with Metmorphin(150mg)...and then HCG injection and IUI and then the two week wait period.

This is so emotionally draining. But I still want to keep my emotions in check(which is very hard right now)

Also, she suggested the accupenture. Do you guys think that accupenture helps/aids in getting pregnant?

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks.
I had a HSG a little over a year ago after my ectopic. It's pretty uncomfortable, but tolerable. A cathedar is inserted into the uterus, and then they inject dye through that. They take pictures during this time and look to see if the dye flows through both tubes. When I had mine, I had to roll onto my left side, because the dye didn't whoosh through like it did with my right tube. I got the "all clear" to TTC again, only to find out recently that I had adhesions on the outside of my tubes, mainly on the left side. That's probably why the dye didn't travel through the left side as easily.

Some women get pg soon after having HSG, because the dye cleans out the cilia that line the fallopian tubes.
Hi I had the HSG dye done about 3 months ago. I don't mean to scare you but it was very painful to me. I felt lots of pressure in my tail for some reason and that was the worst part. I don't know what your dr. plan is but mine gave me nothing for pain, so if I were you to be safe I would insist that I have something. I hate to tell this story to others who are having the procedure b/c I don't want to scare them but some say it is nothing and others say it is very painful. By the way my tubes were open and everything normal. Good luck to u and keep us posted. If you have any other questions I will be glad to answer what I can.
I took an Aleve and a Xanax beforehand, which probably helped.
That is probably it. I sure do wish my dr. would have given me something. I don't understand why u would not. I think every dr. should do it just incase and if nothing else you would be relaxed.
i also thought it was very painful,it was like very very bad period cramps,almost like contractions when the die was going through,it made my toes clinch,but i did not take a pain killer eigther,they should warn us about it.
My HSG was also extremly painful, it was more than period cramps, my cervix had to be dialated.  Good Luck!
To be quite honest, HSG tests are not that pleasant. It seemed to be like razor sharp pain when the dye was doing its thing, and OMG the cramping after was a lot worse than the procedure. It is a day release test, and you are free to go shortly after the test. I cramped for about 8 hours post treatment, but my current specialist recommended that you take 2 Extra strength Migraine gel pills 1 hour prior to the procedure ( I too get the joy of having this done...AGAIN!). Hope this helps, don't mean to scare you, and wish you luck
My doctor knows me very well :) that I don't like these internal exams and I get very nervous. So, she prescribed like 3 medicines for me. One for pain, one for the infection prevention, and third one is relaxing medication. I forgot those names, but I will post them t'rrow after looking at the prescription.
Hey Everyone - FYI this is 'shanfowler.' I changed my screenname after doing a random search on google on a clomid question and my post came up as a link on the first page!!  Anyway...

I just had my HSG this month. From what I read and my experience, it seems everyone is different. It depends on whether you have had kids before (supposed to be less 'uncomfortable') and your anatomy among other things.

I had a rough experience with mine because the first two attempts the doctor at the radiology clinic could not get the catheter in my uterus. So the third time I had to get my doctor to dilate my cervix (OMG) he put the catheter in and I had to go down the street to radiology. The radiology place treated me like **** because they couldn't understand why I already had the catheter in and left me hanging for over an hour. I hurt for 3-4 days after because of the dilation. Especially when I sat down.

On the brighter side, I felt relieved when it was done and happy to know my tubes are clear. Hopefully the cleaning of the plumbing will help me get preggers. So for me, despite it all... it was worth it for the piece of mind.

Take the ibuprofen or alleve. Best of luck to you :)
Gosh Golly - I forgot we can't say c**p!

I got an HSG done a month ago. It felt little cramping for 30 seconds after the procedure, after then I went back to normal. I went home and took a 2 hour nap as recommended by the doctor. Had little bit spotting the same day which stopped in an hour or 2. Then next morning I had periods and my doctor said that is normal after an HSG. It lasted 5 days but they were heavy.
I just had my HSG yesterday and it was horrible.  I was expecting it hurt, but this was beyond anything I imagined and I have a high pain threshold.  I would definatley ask for a shot of pain medication, such as Tordal before hand.  I had taken 800mg of Motrin an hour prior and it did not touch the pain.  I will say that the pain is short lived, maybe only 30 seconds, but it seems like an eternity on an x-ray table.  
Good luck, I hope it all turns out OK.  My tubes and uterus are clear.
I am having the HSG test tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m., I am also on Clomid 200mg (today is day 5)so I am wondering if anyone else has been on clomid while having the HSG or is this routine?

Hopefully it is ok. Has anyone been ttc more then 10 years like me and gotten pregnant after the HSG while on Clomid?

Naturally im praying for a miracle and a positive outcome from the HSG but im just looking for some answers.

Thanks, for your help.

i had my hsg last thursday and while quite frightend, i foundit tolerable. i justkept in mind the end result/my goal.  and if i can't do this i definitely can't have a baby. it felt like extremely strong period cramps (but my period would NEVER be that strong) so once it started i was extremely eager for it to end. i too was cramped all day and went home to rest. i took two advil pm before it.  the doc gave me xanax and valium both of which i tested inidividually beforehand to make sure they'd work and neither made me loopy enough to want to rely on either. i knwo when i take advil pm when i have my period it makes me very sleepy and helps my cramps too.  all in all, it is bearable and over soon enough
Well, I had an HSG done in March, and I had heard that it could be very painful. But to my surprise, it didn't really hurt much at all. Just some very mild cramps. I guess everyone's different :-)  I did spot for a few days after, though. Good luck!
HI I am getting a HSG done and I am also on Clomid. I am a little worried though bc im supposed to have my hsg scan done on day 12 and arent you supposed to ovulate on day 14? Wont the ink affect the sperm if i am ttc? plus I think the pain will ruin my hubby of any chances of getting lucky. Will having this test ruin my chances of falling pregnant this month?

After reading the pain everyone has gone through I really am freaking out a bit! I have to wait for AF to arrive before I can book my exam though (I have just finished a course of provera to induce my period) so i should get af in the next week or so.

My doc did advise me to take some pain killers before hand bc there will be some slight cramping. He also told me to take it 4hourly over the next 24 hours as this is how long the cramping usually lasts for.
My doctore told me to go for this hsg test.  I am 42 but never tried to get pregnant before so I don't know of any problems othere than my age.    I am going to use a donor.   Is this test a necessary first step before trying IUI?  If anyone can please answer me because I don't want to take it If I don't have to.  Thanks.
Well, it will tell you whether your tubes are blocked, so for an IUI, it's a good idea to have it done. If you're doing IVF with donor eggs, on the other hand, blocked tubes won't have much of an effect, but an HSG can still give you information on the shape of your uterus and whether or not there are any abnormalities. Considering the costs involved with IVF, I would probably follow your doctor's advice and have one done. Good luck to you!
I had this done last week and it was suprisingly painful- short lived, but intense, a friend of mine had this test done and didn't think it was bad at all, so different for everyone I guess!  I took midol 2 hours prior, and it didn't touch the pain.  I was crampy for a few days after the test as well.  I am STILL waiting for my doctor to call me back to discuss the results, this wait is more painful than the test, drives me nuts!
I know my left tube is fine, but the radiologist told my doc 'nothing on the right side' which i take to mean the dye didn't go through my right tube.  You are only slightly less fertile if you have one 'good' tube, good news!  Can't wait to hear from doc...good luck everyone!
I am getting one on Mon and I'm petrified. I hope to go somewhat prepared for it. Can my husband be in the room at the time of the proceudre? We'll keep you posted.
Dear Akapoor-

After trying for awhile and still not pregnant, the HSG test is worthwhile. It can be uncomfortable, but this is greatly lessened if you take some advil, motrin, naproxen, or aspirin 1-2 hours before the test. Occasionally the test is very uncomfortable - for most women it is uncomfortable but bearable.
I'm also scheduled to have an HSG test done in one week - I have to admit, I'm terrified as well, especcially after reading what everyone has gone through! I'm glad to be prepared though... I'm having mine done in the morning, but I have to drive two hours. I planned on going to my sister's apartment afterwards and resting... but then she wanted me to go with her to try on bridesmaid dresses - do you think I will feel up to it? I was wondering, too, if anyone had their hubby in the room with them...
I had the HSG test done today.  I took 800 mg of Advil an hour before the test and I did not feel a thing.  It was like getting a PAP smear.  I went there terrified after reading about others  experiences!!!!!  I gues that everyone is different.  I did not have my husband in there with me...I didn't want him to get upset if he saw me in pain.
iam too have pco,iwas on clomid then shifted to inj. anyway i already did the hsg,it is kind of x-ray test,it depends on filling uterus with pigment like subistance to b able to take shot of uterus&fallopian tubes,it is v.benifiting as if there is any minor obstruction in the fallopian tubes,it 'll b removing it,it is painful alittle but still bearable,by the way it is better to take analgesic after it as u may feel abdominal pain 2 hours later but with analgesic u feel nothing,don't worry it is bearable,good luck.
I had my HSG test done on thurs - and OMG it was the worst pain i've ever felt. Beads of sweat poured off me - unfortunatly my gyno did not advise me to take any pain killers before having it done.
I would advise anyone due to have one to take something. After reading other peoples comments the pain is obviously different for each of us - but it really is not worth the risk of not taking anything,because if your one who will feel it, it is bad.
My tubes were thankfully all fine & no blockages - so i just hope that maybe the ink may have pushed out any cobwebs and i will finally fall pregnant.
The doctor said for some, having this done can be all thats needed!
Has anyone else who has been trying for some time fallen quicky after having the HSG done?
My husband and I have been trying for 21 months.
Has anyone else who has had a HCG test done found they didn't ovulate that month??
I had mine done 2 1/2 wks ago and was due to ov at begining of the week but unless i've completly missed it while doing my tests i don't think i have this month :o( not happy!!
I had read all the posts about the HSG being very painful and was a little scared.  I just got home from completing mine and I have to say it was nothing.  I didn't feel anything.  There was minimal pressure when he pushed the dye through but other than that .... nothing.  I may have been lucky I don't know but try not to get worked up about it because I think that's what helped me... I had to go by myself too!!  I took 800mg Motrin 30 minutes before. Good Luck!
JUST had an HSG test today!!  It truly was not so bad!  Felt like a pap smear but a little longer.  I was so scared and built it up so much, but was not a big deal at all.  A little cramping while i was there, like period cramping.  Just be sure to tell the dr to insert the dye slowly and it will not be painful!
Yeah i had one 3 months ago,,after which i had lots of pain and Bleeding,,i can t even get up from that place ,,asked for water,,,after dinking i wanted more water,,,u may laugh,,i did one mor thing,,u may laugh at that,,,
First the instrument was a repair one,,the assistant dr followed everything,,they then looked for the reslt and found the process was not right,,then Sr Dr was called,she repeted with the same in`t,,and failed ,,what happened inbetween,,,after the first attempt the nurse asked if am alright as i came down smiling,,,but whent the procedure was done,,i just fainted (very painful dear,,but we have to bear to get a sweet little darling.....:)
And then i asek dfor water,,,she gave me ,,asked one more,,,then:)i asked for a pillow,,,,OMG the nurse realised and called for a wheel chair and i then went on them,,,
as i had already eaten before the procedure,,,and due to the twice injected Dye`s i fainted again and just vomitted after with that pain,,,,so dont eat before the process,,have some solid glucose,,,,
Hope ur Dr undertands u,,,and handle the process safely,,,
I thought it as a normal xray and went,,,,
Relax by saying it is for the sweet little one,,,good luckkk..........
I had one done in early May. The procedure was fine, but the afterwards was bad. If felt like someone let a rabid monkey loose in my uterus. . On the way home I got the runs so bad. . . I think I should buy dinner from the Wendy's DH stopped at just as a thanks for letting me violate your restroom.

After that everything was A+ okay!
I had one done a few weeks ago and felt no pain.  Like someone else said, it was like getting a pap smear.  I have given birth before, maybe that influenced it?  I also took 500mg of Advil half an hour before, as advised by my doctor.  Also took antibiotics two days before and three days after to prevent infection.

Are_you_there_god - I had my HSG done CD10 this month, it is now CD21 and I still haven't o'ed either!  I usually o late (CD17-19ish) but I'm getting a little worried.  I'd never heard of it affecting ovulation.  Keeping my fingers crossed for us both!
i had an ectopic pregnancy.8/5/08 i had MTX injections. As of 9/15/08 my hcg level is at 28. Docs are expecting me to be at zero/negatives by the 25th. i know i must wait until zero to get a HSG test done, but i was wondering how long after zero?? and how long after the HSG test must you wait to TTC again? Im hoping to TTC again after my November AF.
I don't know how long after zero for an HSG, but I do know you are encouraged to have "relations" that night & then after, b/c your chances of concieving are good.  Hope that helps.
I had an HSG test about 1 and a half weeks ago.  I had to have it done after my first ectopic to check and see if I had any scar tissue that would prevent me from getting pregnant.  I am a 26 years old with no kids yet.  My experience with an ectopic was horrendous.  I should've taken Tylenol or something for pain.  The radiologist had a very difficult time finding the opening of my uterous.  My uterous is more to my left side and that's why it was painful because he was inserting the straw like figure straight up and that's what was causing me so much pain.  I even cried because it was that painful.  In textbooks, the nurse said, everything is symmetrical but in reality nothing is.  It hurt bad and I have a  high tolerance to pain.  As the die (iodine) was going in my tubes it did feel like a very strong cramp.  You can feel it go up your tubes and uterus.  Afterwards, I came home and laid on the couch and the cramp like feeling got worse.  It left after like an hour and a half then I felf better.  My tubes were both thankfully open and there was no narrowing.  I spotted blood for like 3 days and gunk like stuff came out when I would go to the restroom.  Maybe that's what caused my ectopic; all the stuff that was backed-up in my tubes I'm guessing.  Anyways, thought I'd let other concerned women know my experience, as I also researched the test before I had it done.  

Oh yeah, my husband went with me but he wasn't allowed in the room I had the procedure done, due to the x-ray and radiation in the room.  But it helped to have him help me get in and out of the truck afterwards because it did hurt me.  
I can't believe they didn't let your husband in (that's what the lead aprons are for.)  Where I work at, we know how stressful, & sometimes painful this procedure can be, so we always makes sure someone comes in if the pt would like.  Also, usually, your ob/gyn dr should have inserted the speculum & other device (i can't remember the name off hand) b/c they know your insides more.  The radiologists just usually fluoros & let's u know how everything is.  I am sorry you had such a terrible experience.
I had a HSG test done last week. It was not painful. But one of my friend who did this test 2 months back said she took a pain killer 30 minute before the test.So I also had a tylenol just 5 minutes before the test. The level of uncomfortable feeling is similar to the one I get during a normal pap smear test. I had a slight bleeding( I think it was the dye used during the test) for half a day and everything was fine. I was doing all my normal works after the test.My gynocologist was not with me during the test. The radiologist did the complete procedure and they dint allow my husband to be with me during the test. The nurse said the radiologist feels uneasy if lots of people are in the room and they made my husband to wait outside. After the test the radiologist said everything looks good. Its been a week and I have not yet got my reports from the doctor.  

From my personal experience, its just a simple procedure and only thing is pray God that the test results should be good.

Good luck .

Ksen
I just had my first HSG today.  I read this thread due to "mixed messages" I was hearing from friends and my doctor's staff.  To be honest, I was terrified going into the test and after reading the comments here and figured about 75% of women experienced significant pain.  I wanted to add my story because my experience was practically painless.  My dr. prescribed a 3 day course of antibiotics.  I took 2 advil before bed the night before, 2 advil at 7:00am and then 2 more at 9:30.  My procedure was at 11:00.  The dr. numbed my cervix with a shot (which I didn't feel).  They went thru 5 different catheters b/c my cervix opening was too small and I didn't feel a thing except some pulling when they got one to fit.  Felt a little pressure when they inserted the dye but no pain.  My dr. told me to let him know if I felt any cramping b/c he could give me a break or slow down the insertion of the dye.  I didn't feel a thing.  It was neat watching the dye go through my uterus and fallopian tubes.  Everything was clear, which may have been the reason I didn't feel any pain.  Had a mild dull ache on the right side of my pelvis this afternoon and some spotting, but other than that it the procedure and aftermath has been unremarkable and it was life as normal this afternoon.  Everyone is different, but I wanted to make sure people reading hear the "good" stories as well.  I would not have any hesitation or anxiety doing it again.

I had my HSG done today. After reading through all of these post, I was horrified. I immeditaley called my OB and asked that she prescribe me some meds (pain killers) to take before hand. I took two Tylenol 3 one hour before my proceedure. I was so worked up about it that I couldn't even get a good nights rest the night before. However, I am back here to state that it absolutely wasn't bad at all. It was much like douching and a paps put together. No discomfort, no pain, no pressure, and no cramps. I'd do it again and I was so upset with myself for not doing it much sooner. I put this proceedure off for five years and in the end, they found nothing. My tubes was wide open and all was clear!
I had the test today.I was very much scared before the test.My doctor told me to take 600mg-800mg ibuprofen 1 hr before the test.When i reached there they told me that my partner can't accompany me in the diagnostic room this scared me more.But believe me it was not painful at all. I felt 10 times more pain in pap smear.There was little bit cramping but no pain at all.The procedure was pretty quick.It took only 5 min to do the whole procedure.Doctor told me that everything is fine.I was happy after the test.

Reading everyone I wish I was subscribed to this site before I strongly believe that everyone is different. I did HSG back in January and was tense  and didn't know what to expect. Let me tell you it was painful when that dye went thru. I wish my doctor just told me to take any pain killer tyenol. I had the cramps for 3 days. Fortunately I got to know that both my tubes were close managed to open one by radiology. I am glad that I did it to know and fix the problem
I had an hsg about a year ago and apparently I am lucky. My doc done a laproscopy surgery to actually look at my stuff and done the hsg at the same time so I was completely out for the whole thing. When I woke up I was in alot of pain but that was from the surgery and the cuts(1 belly and 1 at the hair line). I didn't cramp or anything. But she did give my xanax to take he night before surgery to relax and get a good nights sleep but I chickened out on taking it. Medicine like that scares me for some reason.
Hello! I was told that I have PCOS in Jan. of this year...My doc ran some blood work and found that I was not ovulating like I should be....So he put me on metformin and clomid...Now after 5 months of clomid rounds he had me go in to get the hsg test...Which by the way I just had done Wednesday, July 8, 2009...

I guess I would also have to say that I was lucky...I read all kinds of horror stories about this hsg test and was so scared going in to do the proceedure....I took a lortab that my dad gave me about an hour beforehand...It was a breeze for me...It was alot like a pap smear to me...The only discomfort I had was when they inserted the catheter, it didn't really hurt just uncomfortable...And also a little discomfort when they were pulling everything out....I cramped for about an hour...But nothing like my period cramps....I have really bad menstral cramps due to having PCOS.....So yes everyone will experince it differently...

Now just waiting to hear from the doc on my test results and to see what our next step is in our fertility journey is....Good Luck To All...Baby Dust To All....Hopefully One Day We Will All Have Our Own Little Miracle....
Hi all

I had my HSG testing on the 13th of July, this would be the third time going back to try and have this procedure done. The first two times the DR could not find my cervix and had explained that my cervix was narrow. NOW that hurt...Anyways, I had to wait another month to get my AF, after getting my AF I was schedule on the 13th to come in. However I went to see my OB first to have my cervix dilated. OMG..it hurt but only lasted like a minute or two. Went it to the imaging center and I was in and out. I didn't even know that the procedure was being done. LOL.. have to say the dilation was the worse part. Good luck to you all and much baby dust..Hoping this is our month (crossing my fingers)...=)
After reading the comments on here, I was PETRIFIED of my HSG today.  I've been nervous about it for weeks, and had a hard time sleeping last night.  I am posting this in hopes that someone like myself will read this and sleep easier knowing that this was NOT a horrifying experience.  Yes, there are better ways to spend an afternoon, but it was FAR less than the worst pain I've ever experienced.  It hurt for around 30 seconds like a severe menstrual cramp, but that was about it.  Also, the insertion of the tube caused me to cramp a bit, a little longer but less severe.  

The hospital staff was wonderful, and the doctor told me I had a "gorgeous uterus" (I laughed and told him I was married).  My tubes were both completely unblocked, though the dye had a bit of a hard time getting through one, so that one hurt a little worse.

Afterwards I felt a little crampy for about 10 minutes, but haven't felt a single pain since then.  That was 12 hours ago, so I'm crossing my fingers that the worst is over.  

I'm sure there are some people who have an awful time with this, but I wasn't one of them.  I'm guessing many of you won't, either, and hope no one else freaks out ahead of time about this like I did!!
Hi all,

I took a HSG test in Feb 2010. After reading all the posts here, I was really scared about the test. I couldn't even get a good night's sleep. I took 2 aleve (220mg) 2 hrs before the test. Believe me it was not as painful at all. My dr asked me to relax and said the more I relax themore easie it will be for me. When they inserted the speculum it did pinch me a bit and then they inserted a catheter of the size of a ball point. Once the catheter was inside he took out the speculum and then injected the dye. I saw the dye fill up my tubes and that was it ..no pain and all done in just 5 mins. My tubes were all clear and open and I saw them on the screen. After it was done I got some slight cramps and there was slight bleeding the rest of the day along with the dye trickling down. It hurt me the whole of the evening a lilltle bit and I was just fine the next day.
I just had one yesterday. After reading all of these posts, I was nervous, but going in expecting the worse. Being very honest, it wasnt pleasant. The initial part of the exam is very much like a pap, however, once they had me put my legs flat and started with the catheter and the dye, the tears began. I do NOT cry, and the tears didnt stop until they told me sit up. I think the tears were 20% from the pain and 80% from the trauma of it all. Its just alot going on, and when your in the middle of infertility appointments, and trying, etc, I for one was way more prone to tears, all the time. I took 2 aleve an hour before, and still have a bit of cramping on my left side, as that is where they found some blockage.  The dr. had to insert a "balloon" and inflate it, inside, to get the left side to coorperate. I too had to roll to each side, which was difficult, as you are under a huge metal machine. Go in with a friend, if you can, have them waiting for you when you get out. If for nothing more than someone to talk to and decompress with on the way home. Its alot to go thru, but its over in about 10 minutes. Good luck!
Hi everybody!  Just wanted to say that i was reading this forum last night and having anxiety about having the HSG.  I am the type of person that hates getting pap smears....they are very uncomfortable for me and i have a very low pain tolerance.  Anyway, i took 3 200 mg advil and 1 xanex an hour before the test.  My test came back normal and only took a few minutes....it was not more uncomfortable than a pap smear.  Afterwards, i felt so great all day ....had a little bit of spotting but that's about it.  I've had constant abdominal pain for almost 2 years and today after the test i felt so much better!!  it is unbelievable!  i think im the only person that actually felt better after this test....i think something is actually wrong with me.  anyway, i hope i feel this great in the future...dont stress cause its not worth it....trust me!!!
i think it is the worst procedure done at all. Everything else done whether it is taking shots or even ivf embryo transfer are much easier and pain free. HSG is very painful and I had cramping long after the procedure also. Defi ask to take a muscle relaxant and or heavy duty pain killer. Cuz if u cramp during the procedure it can cause an uneven spill, and give u an unrealist result, or worse cause the need for greater pressure and that makes it worse. Good Luck.
i just had my hsg yesterday and the dr.gave me 2 options whether to sedate me and have an anesthesia so i couldn't feel the pain or just rely on the 4 meds.that they asked me to take an hour before the procedure.i just chose the 2nd option coz i thought i could bear the pain but when the dr.inserted something OMG it was the most painful i've ever felt in my entire life, I started screaming and asked the dr.to stop what she was doing and just call the anesthesiologist to give me a shot. that was my regret, should have asked for the 1st option for me not to feel the pain.luckily i was surprised when the anesthesiologist woke me up and told me it's done..i didn't feel any pain since i was in a deep slumber the whole procedure. and thank God my tubes and uterus are clear.
I recently had mines on the 20th of apirl and found out that my tubes was blocked and I don't know y..but once it can back out it was tissue coming out that I saw..I was wondering if anyone had that and if some one who had jus one tube blocked had the inside of their leg if you felt swell up aswell? Please I would like to know!!!
I just had my HSG done this morning and it honestly was nothing!! I was so scared it was going to hurt terribly bad because I came online and looked information up regarding the HSG procedure and a lot of people said it was the worst pain ever, but I did not think so at all. I worked myself up so bad for this test I was physically sick all night last night worrying about it. My RE did my HSG and he is very gentle and kind so that helped a lot. The worst part was when he inserted the catheter thru my cervix to my uterus. It wasn’t even pain it was just uncomfortable. I felt a little cramping but not bad at all. It was over with in less than 5 minutes! My tubes are not blocked and my uterus looked good!! Woo hooo!!!  He told me my results immediately after and showed me the x-ray. I had to take Prednisone and Benadryl before my HSG because I am allergic to the dye they use and I still felt fine after. I also took 4 ibuprofen 1 hour before my HSG. I think that may have helped as well. I do have a little bit of cramping right now but not bad at all.
I think this test really all depends on the Physician doing the procedure and if your tubes are blocked or not. My RE did tell me that if my tubes where blocked it may hurt more than usual.  Everyone is different so even though one person had a horrible experience does not mean that you will. This is a test that really varies from person to person.
I was freaking out today before the HSG test. I guess being anxious makes it even worse. But I took Motrin 800 mg 2 hours prior and took some Kava Kava natural relaxer. The doctor who performed it had a great sense of humor. Explained every step and checked on me the whole time. I felt a bit of pressure but nothing bad at all. I guess it depends on the person who performs it and your state of mind.
I tried to have a HSG done today and the radiologist couldn't get the catheter into my cervix because it was too small/narrow/closed.  After poking around for a half an hour at my cervix, I was definitely having some cramping, but just some intense period like cramping.  So now I am wondering if my cervix is too closed/tight and if this has anything to do with my infertility. We have been trying for 2 years, hubby is fine and they can't find any reason for me not being able to get pregnant.  I was hoping the HSG would give me some more answers, but now I have to go and get my cervix dilated and have more procedures done! It was kind of a bummer!
How long have u been ttc? And watwas your diagnosis? And why do you have ti do a hsg test over? I hope u get your bfp soon and I hope for twins for u. Thank you baby dust.
Hi! I will be having my HSG done in a few hours. Eish after reading alll those comments i am terrified. by the way is okey for me to eat before the procedure? Wish me luck
I just found out I will be undergoing a HSG test soon and after reading all this idk if I should be scared or not. I do have to admitt I am terrified of any pain. I was advice to have breakfast early that morning because the test dye is strong and might cause me nausea or vomit. is this true? I was also told I will be given some antibiotics the day of the test prior of taking it, would that be enough or should i just take some pain killer ahead of time to avoid the pain?
thanks for your replies.
I had my hsg done last year, and the only thing I felt was the tube(or whatever you call it) going in just as a pap smear. Other than that I felt nothing. I didn't get any antibiotics from the doctor. I took ibuprofen 6 hours before procedure and ibuprofen 30mins before the procedure. I'm not sure if that really helped, but I didnt feel a thing. By time I asked, " have you started inserting the dye yet?" She said its already in there. I was able to relax after that. The bad part of my HSG is I have a blocked left tube...ugh!!!
But I was shaking when I went it because I had read all of these bad experiences on the net and I ended up feeling nothing, so now when I have a procedure, the most I do is look it up to see what type of procedure it is and that's it. No more reading reviews. hope this helps...

had my hsg test done 11/2210 ttc for 16 months found out left tube is blocked right was clear..Im 26 have a 6 yr old..What are the chances of me getting pregnant?
I read many of these posts before having my HSG done today. I braced myself for the worst, but it wasn't painful. It was uncomfortable as they put tubes, etc inside, but it is no more uncomfortable than going to the OB-GYN for check-ups. It was also uncomfortable because while everything is inside, they have you role on your sides so they can take pictures in those positions as well. All in all, it was nothing. My tubes were open, so I am happy for that.
I had a HSG test 3 months or so ago. I took Ibuprofen before I went in. The procedure was painless for me. Both my tubes were clear or cleared from the dye. I have been trying to conceive for 5 years. I haven't had a child in 12 years. My second infertility was labeled unexplained. I have taken clomid in the past and never got pregnant. The first two months after the test, nothing. So, the third month I took another dose of clomid and I'm now 6 weeks pregnant!! I believe that this test was the answer to my prayers!! One more thing please call around if you don't have insurance I was quoted 1200. at one place and ended up getting it done for 400 after I called around. Good Luck to everyone I know how tough infertility is.
I had my HSG done this morning.  When they opened my cervix, it felt like period cramps.  Mild cramps.  As soon as they put the catheter in, it was like the worst cramps ever in my life and once the injected the dye - I was in excruitiating pain.  I had tears in my eyes, grasping the table and back arched.  It didnt last long, maybe 1 minute to 2, then cramping and now just sore a few hours later.  That is not something I ever want to have to do awake again.  Left tube blocked, right tube fine.
I to had an hsg done yesterday actually and the insertion of the tube was the most painful part of the process ,my doc did tell me to take painkillers an hour b4 but that did not help much,i had abdominal cramps for the entire day and slight bleeding. But today which is the day after I feel almost back to normal. My advice its a painful but short procedure. Good luck
I had my HSG 2 days ago and I thought I would die of pain. I did not feel much when whatever was inserted  LOL. Then the end of the uterus pained like hell for some sec and once the die was shot it was like lightning. And then the real PAIN started a few minutes after the test. I think it was like labour pain. I could feel severe contraction pains that radiated all over m back and front. I did get all clear though.

BOY! It was hell for 3 hours and I was given a painkiller and TT beforehand. Again I took a painkiller tab and asked for an inj. I ended up at home with ahot water bag and in tears. If labour is going to be so horrible then no way I was going for it without Epiduril.
I had an HSG test today and it did not hurt NOT one bit...... i was soo afraid after reading post, but it didnt hurt at all i didnt even know the dye was goin n.... She said my tubes were clear, but i have to call my doc  on monday for further results..... i cant wait for my baby to arrive..... best of luck to all
I had the HSG exam performed this morning.  I took 2 Advil pills one hour prior to the HSG exam, and it wasn't too bad.  Minor cramping began when the dye was being injected, but stopped about a minute afterwards.  The procedure lasts less than 5 minutes, and I think the fear of the exam was far worse than the actual procedure.  Afterwards, I went out to eat and went back to work.
I am supposed to have the hsg this morning, but the doctor decided to stop the procedure. I was totally in pain. It was beyond compare to the cramps. :( i was looking forward for the procedure to end and then i have to do it again next month. Anybody can give me a tip how to make this procedure bearable. I really really want to be a mom
I just had an HSG test today and I took an Aleve one hour before so I didn't feel anything during the injection of the dye however the insertion of the catheter causes a sharp pain. Also the past five hours have literally involved me laying in fetal position crying from awful pain through my entire abdomen and I have had three major surgeries so I have a high tolerance for pain. My advice take Aleve continuously for the 12 hours following the procedure!
I just had the HSG done yesterday and had done my research... I was a little nervous but felt prepared. Well, even though the doctor was able to get through after trying twice...it unfortunately was very painful for me. First, my cervix was so tight and had scar tissue from previous cryo (freezing of precancerous cervical cells) procedures I had done. Then after the catheter was put in and they began injecting the dye, it slipped out. :/ Finally, when everything was in place and they injected the dye again... I felt like I was going to explode inside because apparently I had some more scar tissue...however, they were able to push it through the tubes....just in the neck of time too cause I couldn't take it anymore. :( It is good to find this out but I really hope that I don't have to go through this test again. Hopefully, the next pains I feel will be labor pains. :) Good luck and God bless all of you!
Thanks for your post. I just got my period and will now have to schedule my HSG for sometime this week once my period ends. I've had cryo done before too, did they say anything about going in and removing any of your scar tissue? Also, how many days after your period did you end up scheduling your HSG? I think my doc said to schedule it within 2 days after my period.

Good luck to you!
i had a HSG yesterday and it's really feel so bad.its really hurt,so painful..but i know its helped me to see my fallopian tubes. I thank the LORD because everything was good ! I Praise the LORD!
I had my HSG yesterday. It was much more painful than I expected. I took 800mg Advil a couple of hours before the test but it didn't help at all. I had a cervix issue as some other have noted and it took 3 tries and a different style catheter to get in. When the dye was injected it moved very slow at first and took forever to start moving. With each dye injection the pain became more and more unbearable! Once through though everything was clear so good news at least. I wasn't allowed to have my partner with me during the test (I am guessing because it is done by x-ray). It would have helped if he was so if you have the option I would take it.
Hi everyone,
I get to experience an HSG today at 4:00pm - 2 more hours to go.  I've been stressing about it all week & going through every emotion in the book.  I'm going to take 800mg of Motrin an hour before and maybe a Benadryl to relax me a bit.  My palms are sweaty, & I've lost 3 pounds this week...ridiculous, I know.  It'll probably be no big deal, but I'm just not a fan of invasive procedures.  Luckily my husband will be there to hold my hand...or squeeze his hand if I need to.  ;)   I know this test is really a positive thing to find out what's going on down under, so I'm going to keep that in mind, say a little prayer & try to be strong...wish me luck!!
Jen
*UPDATE ON HSG TEST*

I am happy to report that the HSG test was pain free!  Of course, it was uncomfortable having instruments & gadgets down under, but it's basically like a pap.  I took 400mg of Motrin at 7:00am and 800mg of Motrin 1.5 hours before my test at 4:00pm. I also took a Benadryl to calm my nerves.  

These boards really helped me prepare...or over prepare in my case.  I was sooooo scared and nervous from all of the stories I read!  My husband was there and tried to calm me as I sat and waited for the doctor.  I couldn't stop shaking.  When I got on the table (which was quite comfortable actually), I broke down and started crying.  I just envisioned the most horrific pain was about to be experienced.  Then I just got strength from somewhere, started praying inside my head, stopped crying, started my controlled breathing (but I must have been breathing really fast because the doctor said, "too fast...too fast...!"  lol!) and got through it.  My whole body was rigid, and the doctor said "relax...too tense!"   My husband was rubbing my leg trying to relax me, & he said I could have crushed a bowling ball with my thighs - they were that rigid!

I kept waiting for the horrible pain that I've read about so often.  Then when he said "Here comes the dye", I thought "Oh it's going to happen here..." and I waited...and waited...nothing.  He had me turn on my left and right side...still nothing.  Then he said, "You're done...good job."  I thanked the doctor and asked if having pain-free HSG tests are common, and he said no.  He said some girls have even passed out on the table from the pain!!!  

After the test was done, I felt like a ton of bricks was lifted off my shoulders...and I got my appetite back!  Del Taco has never tasted so good!!!  I did have slight cramping and spotting over the weekend, but it was no big deal!

The worst part was the worrying I put myself through...my emotions were all over the place the week before.  My advice is to not worry about it so much - know that it's like a roll of the dice...it may or may not be pain free...but just be prepared - take some medication beforehand just in case.

Best of luck to all of you!
I think it's really interesting that so many people have such different reactions to this test...I wonder why that is??? I was one of those people who honestly felt like the HSG was the very worst pain I have ever experienced in my life to date (I'm assuming child birth will be way worse!) That test totally traumatized me and I dry heaved in the parking lot. But then for so many others it seems to be no big deal...maybe it has to do with how the test is performed...some docs may be better/more compassionate/careful than others. I remember my doctor seemed like she was in a total rush to get it done and definitely seemed annoyed with me for sobbing on the table...I guess it's a different experience for everyone, so readers should just keep this in mind, I suppose.
hello everyone! i & my hubby are doctors and are ttc for 25 months now. dont know where's the problem... everything's normal and fine. my RE advised me HSG and i really want to share some pointers with u all. i had my HSG on 3rd January. i knew it would be painful so i took 3 analgesics about 2 hours before the test. now here is an impotant thing.. must take or ask your doctor to advise you a smooth muscle relaxant, like hyosine or drotaverine atleast an hour before your test. it will prevent any chances of your tubes etc going into spasm during the test. if you usually have menstrual cramps and if it's your first time ttc then it's very likely that you'll experience pain and cramping. For me the pain was greater than any period cramps i have ever had! despite taking 3 analgesics. But imagine the severity without the analgesics.. ! The uterus and cevix respond to the presence of any foreign body and they try to expel it. that's what causes the cramping, also the dye kind of irritates the lining of the uterus. another thing.. take plenty of water before the test, but empty your bladder and rectum especially before the test. that was a mistake i had made. i was feeling the urge to defecate but didn't and i paid the price. there was a sharp stabbing pain everytime the nurse injected more dye. take deep breaths and relax. i know it's easier said than done but it really helps. taking a glass of water after the procedure also helps with the cramping. Spotting after the procedure can vary person to person, for me it lasted about 3 hours, but the dye continued to come out bit by bit till next morning. your RE will tell you about the antibiotics. Thanks God it went well though for me. An experienced nurse is better than any Gynaecologist in my opinion, especially if they are nice and comforting. It would be better if you have had an ultrasound anytime before the test to rule out any abnormality in the structure of the uterus. it can prevent problems during the procedure.
please do pray for me . Wish u all the best of Luck!!!
hi everyone, Im having the HSG test on the 23rd, really nervous about it but hoping its like a smear as i didn't find that so bad. My doctor hasnt told me much regarding the procedure especially regarding painrelief and antibiotics?? also what time of the month should u have the procedure done? Im v confused, Any answers would be great, thanx
I had an HSG on 01/19/2012 and it was very painful to me. I was almost at my pain threshold and was ready to tell him to stop but then thankfully he was finished meaning the pain was so intense at one point I almost had to say I was finished, regardless if the test was complete are not. Both my tubes were blocked so the Radiologist shot more dye up there trying to unblock my tubes and I could feel every part of it. I have a high pain tolerance too and I was not expecting it to hurt as bad as it did. Good news my tubes came unblocked!! YAY!

Some women say it was just mild discomfort. So I don't want to scare anyone because even though it was painful it was worth it to me. TTC is hard enough, without knowing if all of your parts are working.
I had my HSG today and did not know what to expect in advance. I took total 800mg Advil 1 hour prior, I was not at all nervous. When the procedure began I felt the worst pain ever, and the nurse was holding my hand just telling me to breathe. I felt that pain on and off during the procedure with the last sharp pain felt when the liquid went through my tubes. On a scale of 1-10 my pain to me was easily a 10. Everyone is different, and while many may not experience such high level of pain, I wish I would have known in advance that some people do and doctors should give you the option to take something stronger. On a happy note my tubes were clear, and I look forward to my ultrasound on CD13.
I had my HSG today. I have very high pain tolerance, and everyone kept telling me it would be mild discomfort. Well, as soon as it started (i think from the balloon bit) I bursted into tears and was in so much pain. He saw i wasn't blocked and hurried it up. The pain was so sharp, and intense and horrible. I wanted to keep grabbing my stomach, and a few times i did, and after that the nurse calmly held my hands behind my head. I really hope i never need another one! It's been around 12 hours later and i am having the worst pains too. I didn't get given anything afterwards so i am worried for infection. I'm making my mind up as to whether i drive myself to the hospital and jsut enquire!!!!!!!
the dr should have given you some antibiotics to take after.  I know I had to take them when i had mine.  
For anyone nervous or anxious, get an anxiety/relaxant for your HSG. I was prescribed Ativan (took 2) and took 2 Advil beforehand as well. I have developed basal vegal reactions (dizziness, fainting, vomitting, increased heart rate, profuse sweating) during medical procedures since starting my infertility journey. I was shocked since I am otherwise not an anxious person and barely even sweat when I'm working out at the gym. It had been awful and dangerous for both me and those performing the procedures I'm sure!

I was way panicked to have the HSG. I got the prescription and took the day off work following too. Shockingly, I got through it fairly well. It was uncomfortable and a bit 'icky', but nothing near what I was expecting. I'm sure had I not taken the drugs, it would have been far worse. I was cramping for about 20 mins afterwards, and a little bit the rest of the day. To be honest, since I've always suffered from awful period cramps, the post HSG-cramps didn't even compare to what I've gone through if I haven't taken Advil early enough when AF arrives. All the years of awful cramps have I guess assisted me post-procedures when I cramp since it's much milder in comparison for me.

If I can get through it (with drugs), you can... it won't be pleasant, but be brave and you can do it and will get through it. My DH was ther with me holding my hand and alongside the jokes of the doctor and sonographer, and having taken a relaxant, that made it much better. My heart goes out to those who were so upset and in pain - this journey is an unfair one and from a painful HSG to heartbreaks along the way TTC, I wish I could take away the pain for all of us. Hang in there, remember drugs are your friend, and good luck :)
I am new to this webiste, but I had my second HSG procedure done yesterday. The first experience was terrible because they had to clamp or pinch my cervix b/c it is positioned to the left and is real low. I was in tears, but I kept thinking about the results of a child. The test was unsuccessful because my cervix was clogged with too thick of cervical mucous. So, I was prescribed some Robitussein to thin out my mucous. I did not bleed afterwards. Same results form yesterday. Although this time, I was told that my cervix is too small b/c they could not dialate it and could not get the catherdar through my OS. The radiologists informed me that I would have to have surgery in order to make me dialate.  I did not tke amy medications prior to both visits. I just kept trying to relax and not tense up. I don't know what else to do BUT to keep leaning on God.
I'm new here! I want to say congratulations to everyone the got that BFP and gave birth! So today I went and had a HSG done. I'm on CD7. It was a tad bit painful. I just thought of it being like giving birth would feel. I love my Dr. An she was very informative during the entire procedure. I was so excited when it was over tho. LOL. I felt like I had to do #2. At first the RD thought it wasn't passing on the right but it was. I did have to lean to my left though. I'm very glad to say it passed on both side an my tubes are clear. She said go get cleaned up and keep using the prenatal pills and to start doing the BD. She also referred my fiance to a place where he can get a sperm analysis. I really hope all this pays off so I can get that BFP! I will keep everyone posted on my progress.** baby dust to all**
Hi There everybody. I had my first HSG yesterday. I felt like sharing my experience I had. I went to the hospital with my husband. The nurse took me to the change room. I changed myself and she  then took me into the radiology room. I was asked to laydown as usual and the doctor inserted something inside my cervix. I was just relaxing by breathing but I had little bit of pain. Not more at all. He then said I am cleaning the outside just no to cause infection, I had no idea what he was doing as i didnt feel pain at all. He then asked me to look at the screen and he asked the nurse to take three pictures. I didn't understand anything when I saw the pictues though. I could just see a metallic triangle in between. I didn't feel the flow of any liquid however, the doctor cleaned off little bit after he took out the thing. The doctor said perfect after he was done. I didn't understand what he meant. Did he say perfect to the radiologist who took the pictures or did he mean that everything was ok. Later I was asked to wake up and I wa able to walk as usual. I had mild pain for about five minutes but I was completey alright. I am still awaiting results from the doctor. Not sure when he is gonna call me back. I need soem suggestions as to what might be the results. I had no pain, does it mean my tubes were all ok? Or does it mean I didn't have pain as both the tubes were blocked and nothing went in? Please help.
Well Im glad you hada good experience with your HSG. Just b/c he didnt say anything doesnt mean anything. Sometime the doc says no response is a good thing. So lets stay hopeful that everything went well. My Dr. and RD. both gave me the results right then. Im sure you are fine or else they would have had something to say at that point. **baby dust**
hi everyone,
i had an hsg done yesterday and thats the worst procedure i have ever done in my life! i was told to lie down at the radiology dept and the specullum the radiologist inserted was really rough and painful,afterwards he inserted a needle like object inside my uterus and i was practically screaming.....thw worst part of it was that i didnt know it was a painful procedure and i was not prapared for the pain i felt,and the radiologist was not empatic at all,i think every woman should be told what to expect during the procedure....just to share my experince with you all
I'm here to show support to all those whose been TTC.  I know it's very hard and tough.  My DH n I tried for two years, until I decided to seek for help.  I was refered to a infertility specialist due to my medical condition.  I was diagnosed with a didelphic uterus at 16.  I had one horn removed because it had caused internal bleeding and was life threatening.  When that was removed, they also removed the left Fallopian tube n left ovary that was attached to it.  At 26 I was trying desperately to conceive.  The specialist told me my chances were slim n if I did get pregnant the baby wouldn't survive.  He wanted to start me on clomid or try IF.  I refused, I jus believed in faith.  My primary order an HSG back in feb 2011, I came across this forum n had so much high hopes.  I read a lot of ppl got pregnant right away but the odds were really against me!  I would have to say it was the most horrific procedure I had ever done in my life.  The radiologist kept apologizing becuz I was squirming in tears, when the procedure was done I couldnt even talk or get up.  I nearly passed out becuz the pain was excruciating.  I had a list of questions to ask her but I could Barely breathe to let out a sound.  I jus remember her saying everything was good.  7 weeks later I was very sick, I was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection but I knew it had to be something else.  I had never felt so weak and sick.  It came to a point where my mother in law had to bring soup into the room for me to eat and clean up after me.  I couldn't get out of bed.  I knew something was wrong, at the same time I dreamt about my father whom passed away in 2009 from cancer.  He came to me and told me I was pregnant with a boy.  I really thought I was delusional.  My husband thought maybe because I was so depressed about what the specialist had said that it affected me deeply.  TTC is the most horrifying feeling.  Checking every month and getting a negative pregnancy test for two years was so heartbreaking.  Long n behold right after having this procedure done I was immediately pregnant.  Today I am a mother to a healthy 6 month old whos 20 lbs big.  He's the joy of my life, I can't believe he's really mine.  I can't believe I am so blessed to have him in my life.  The odds were so against me, this forum gave me hope, so I'm trying to give someone out there the same hope!  This procedure have done miracles.  I had so many negative feedbacks but I never gave up.  I was told my uterus was half the size of a normal uterus and also they found me to have numerous cysts and a 9cm cysts on my left side.  All disappeared after pregnancy.  I didn't need any surgery to have it removed.  The drs kept inssisting on removing the cysts before TTC but I refused becuz that would jus bring more scar tissues which isn't good for the reproductive system. Good luck everyone.  Don't give up.
I read your comment and I felt very encourage. I had a hsg done, while at the the place she said that she could see the dye going thru my right tube, but my left tube was block...When I went to my doctor for the results, she said that both tubes were blocked. Only when I began to cry she suggested to retake the test right before she handed me a number to and expensive fertility doctor. I have my test reschedule in two weeks. I notice you mention scar tissue. The doctor mention it, but was really vague about were the blockage was. Reading your stories gives me hope!!!!!!!! Thank YOu! Lots of Baby dust!
Hi, Im 26 years old Ive had one miscarriage and 3 EP, my recent one was last year and had to get my left tube removed.My right tube might be a little damaged due to another ep from the year before.Your story has touched my heart and gave me tears. all I want to say is that it gave me a little more faith and not to give up. I hope when I go for my hsg test things will start to look up
After reading a lot of these posts, I wanted to share my experience and what my re told me about the procedure. It was a little painful, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. With AF I normally get very very bad cramping, so this is what I was expecting, but the cramping and pain was mild compared to what I normally go thru each month. I had some spasming so it wasn't clear if my tubes were blocked or just spasming, and as we knew no mater what we would be doing ivf, due to male factor, I didn't have my RE try to run it again, she did offered. The worst part was getting the catheter in and positioned. Over all it was uncomfortable, but as I said no worse than my normal cramping with AF.

My RE told me a lot of the pain is caused by the placement of the catheter, higher up, rather than lower. And the speed at which they push the dye thru. The faster they push the dye thru the more it hurts. So there are reasons why some people may experience more pain than others.
I just had an HSG test done today and it was pretty much what I expected. I had heard from my doctor and from friends that it was an uncomfortable test and very much like getting a pap smear. The radiologist and nurse were wonderful with explaining everything step by step to me during the procedure. I did have some cramping when they inserted the dye but nothing that I couldn't handle. The cramping continued off and on throughout the day but I just took an advil and that helped. The radiologist said my tubes looked clear, thank goodness.Cross one potential problem off my list. Now my husband and I will meet with a fertility specialist. and hopefully get some answers.
Hello I had the hcg xray this afternoon after undergoing surgery last year for an ectopic pregnancy.  Last year I had one of my fallopian tubes removed due to it being ruptured.  After failing to get pregnant I went to my Dr. who informed I needed to have this test performed.my doctors office didnt prepare me much for the test I was told to take Motrin and they gave me two antibiotics to take.  I depended on forums like this for information..well Im here to tell you nothing I read prepared me for what I went through! They inserted the biggest speculum ive ever seen (im a nurse by the way) I was told that the speculum was so big to accomidate all the instruments they needed to insert..after that my cervix was clipped and the dye was inserted the ENTIRE process was very painful!! Even more than my tube rupturing from the ectopic pregnancy..it only lasted 10 minutes but I am telling you I felt as though I would pass out from the pain ..and I have given birth before nothing compares..I was told that sometimes this will clear everything in the tubes out and increase chances of pregnancy Im sure hoping so because Id hate to have gone through that pain for nothing!! Good luck to all :)
I was absolutely terrified to have this procedure after reading all the posts. I get anxious just going in for a blood draw or a pap, so just thinking about this test made feel like passing out.  I took 4 Ibuprofen and one Avitan (.5mg). It was uncomfortable but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. The speculum seemed larger and was more uncomfortable than the one typically used for a pap. It wasn’t painful, but it took me off guard a bit and made me think, “if I’m already uncomfortable with just this, there’s no way I can handle the rest of it.” I mention this because it caused me more anxiety than warranted/necessary about what was coming next. I think my Dr. might have had some trouble getting the catheter through my cervix, so that was the worst part for me, but it still wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I felt cramping that was a bit different than regular menstrual cramps and a little pinch. I should also note that I wasn’t feeling good that day and already had some gastrointestinal cramping going into the procedure, so I suspect that might have increased my discomfort.  I hardly noticed the dye, and that part was over in seconds (normal results). I didn’t have to turn from side to side. It wasn’t even close to being excruciating or the “worst pain ever” as some of the commenters have mentioned. I know everyone’s different, but I wanted put a more “positive” comment out there because I know how anxiety producing all the horror stories can be. I’ve asked a couple friends who have also had it and both said it wasn’t that bad for them either.
Hello !!! I had hsg test last week.. Infact I read couple of articles and was very scared..  Luckily both the tubes were open... There is slight cramping when the doc is performing it.. but it lasted for a minute or so... After the test I was total normal...
Hi. I had an HSG about 2 weeks ago. It was uncomfortable but tolerable. I did take 800mg of Motrin an hour before my scheduled procedure and 200mg about an hour after.
Hope that helps.
I must comment to all women out there terrified about the HSG test.  I am just waking up from mine since  I was on valium and 800 mg of ibuprophen.  I read other wonens comments and i wanted to just die rather than get this test done.  Please dont believe all you read. Do your homework about the test ask the staff performing questions. Make sure you have a plan ahead of time, i made sure my husband could drive me and support me.  No one knows how they will react but every case is different dont let fear deter you like i almost did. Remember if you cant take the pain make them stop but at least give yourself the benefit of trying.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers