Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HSG vs. SHG - do one or both?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

HSG vs. SHG - do one or both?

I'm 30, married for 2 years and have been trying to have a child. Last Oct 2008 I had an endometric (chocolate) cyst removed through laparascopy, following which my dr gave me 3 injections or Depo Provera one for each month, which is where all my problems began!

First I wasnt getting a period, and once I got periods in Jun09 and Jul09, it stopped again. And during periods I wasnt ovulating. Even had complications with my liver SGOT SGPT and skin break-outs. Changed my dr and consulted about 2-3 specialists- all of them of the opinion Depo Provera BAD for anybody who would like to conceive.

Anyway right now I am on Meprate to induce periods and am expecting my cycle anytime in the next week. My Dr suggested that I get a Sonohysterogram done on the 5/6/7th day of my cycle, while another dr suggested I get a HSG done between 7-10th day.

Could you please advise about the two procedures, is one enough or is it better I get both done. And if I get both, is it alright to get them done during the same cycle, that is, go for SHG on day 5, and then go for HSG on day 7 or 8- PLEASE ADVISE. Thanks
Tags: HSG, SHG
I've had both procedures done and I was terrified because of the thought of all of these treatments... If your doctor suggests that you have these tests done then I would definitely get them done just so your doctor can better advise you on your treatment options. Neither procedure is a big deal or really painful. The SHG is a dye test and the HSG is just a saline test just to check for polyps in the uterus. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!
Hey hun, I'm getting both tests next week!  Even thoufh I'm not excited aout DOING them, I AM excited to rule out or FIX any issues I may be having!  Get them done, I don't THINK either are that bad, like Nicki said.  (I hope not anyway!!!)
Thanks so much nickieb85 and ita17, your responses have been very helpful. I was getting a little worried about getting both and was leaning towards just a HSG, but feel better now.

ita17 please let me know how the tests went, mine too should be sometime next week to 10 days will keep you posted... thanks guys..