Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
HSG

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

HSG

I am having a hsg done friday morning to see if my tubes are blocked, i had a tubal pregnancy 5 years ago and havent been able to get pregnant, i still have both of my tubes but i am really scared my tubes are blocked, does a hsg hurt? and can it help clear my tubes? someone please help me here.
It can help clear your tubes.  I found the HSG to be quite uncomfortable...but it is temporary.  It was a fairly quick and very easy procedure.  
Everyone is different when it comes to HSG and pain.  Some woman say it is very painful, some say mildly uncomfortable,  some feel nothing.   So, it all depends.  I would take a couple of ibuprofen before hand.  It'll help with any discomfort.  I'm having one in a week or so.  Let me know how it goes.

Good luck!

HSG is more unpleasant than painful but it's really quick.  You will know results right away since you can see on the screen the dye going through your tubes; it's kind of cool.  After HSG you will need a pad since the dye will be leaking out for a few hours.  Please don't be afraid.  It will be over before you know it.

If your tubes are blocked you may need a laparoscopy (a surgery) to clear them up.  
Good luck!
i had the hsg a couple months ago...it was kinda unpleasant...but everyone body responds differently. during the hsg test...if your tubes are blocked...the dye wont clear out the tubes. most likely if only one is blocked they will do nothing...(thats what happened to me)...otherwise if both are blocked you may need a surgery to clear them up. Good luck!!!
my RE saidthe dye didnt spill out in one of my tubes...so he was pretty sure i had one blocked...but i got pregnant that month...so you can have great luck with one tube!!!
Glad you asked this - I am having one done on dec 31st. Been worried about it too. Update us to let us know how it went! Good luck!
I had the HSG in Oct and for me it hurt bad..but that was because both my tubes were blocked..but the pain didnt last long..and the more your tubes are blocked the more pain you will have..take some ibuprofen like an hour or 2 before..The only good thing is that you will know your results right away..my next step was to have Lap, which I did in November and was able to have one of my tubes unblocked and now Im in my 2ww...Good luck to you !!
I had it done and it was very uncomfortable for me.  All I can say is take a muscle relaxer before you go which they should tell you to take something any way.  I cramped a little afterwards but it wasn't too bad!
I thought the pain was horrible.  I had one done back in August and I need to have another one done in January.  This time around they gave me a prescription for Valium and 2 percocets.  I could not take the pain and ruined some of the pictures.  I went throught with the IVF anyway and had a tubal so now they want to double check my left side.  Everything was fine on the right, but because I grabbed my stomach towards the end, they did not get a good look at the left side.
I think the pain is very subjective.  It depends upon your level of tolerance, as well as whether or not their is blockage in your tubes.  On a positive note, statistics do show an increased number of pregnancies in the months following HSG - so even if there is no blockage, it can be well worth it.  I have heard that some people take extra strength tylenol or even valium before and HSG.  Talk to your RE if you are nervous
thanks to everyone for there input,it really helped me and i will keep everyone updated.i go tomorrow at 9am, i am so scared its going to hurt really bad i dont do good with pain.
so if both of my tubes are blocked, its going to hurt really bad?
I don't think having both tubes blocked will make the intensity of the pain any worse.  Try not to worry about it.  Even though it is uncomfortable, it is over pretty quickly.
my dr told me to take something for cramping, and she said its over quickly.
I found it a little painful. The upside is you could get pregnant right away. I had one done in 2000 for a fertility work-up. I got pregnant the next month. Good Luck.
that would be so awesome, my dr told me that if its mucus blocking it, the dye will clear it.
how long were you trying to get pregnant before you got the hsg done.
update- i got my hsg done friday and it wasnt as bad as i thought, it was alot like a pap. it casued a little cramping and it was over in like 5 minutes. and i got to watch everything on a monitor.
I was only trying for 3 months before I went to a fertility specialist. I was 40 years old and didn't want to waste anytime. They put me on clomid and I had insemination. This time, because I'm older, they went straight to IVF.

I'm glad your procedure is over and was not too painful. I be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I found it somewhat painful but I have a blocked tube and my dr. said that it was a little painful for me because of the pressure of trying to get thru that tube.  My friend on the other hand said it was just uncomfortable for her (probably because she doesn't have a blocked tube) so it just depends.  Good luck!
thanks to all of you for your support.
hi...just wanna ask about the HSG cause i had 1 done last march not doc was not able to complete the procedure since he said that my cervix is close and needs to be dilated so OB prescribed me to use cytotec night before my procedure...and i'm schedule to have my second HSG this coming monday... anybody here with the same experience or any idea on this....please please i need help with this, kinda anxious about using the medication...
Ohh, I have mine to do tomorrow. I hope mine goes well and my tubes are not blocked and my uterus shape is fine. I'm 23, been ttc for over 7 months. My partner is 34.
Hi, We are in the same boat!  It was really really uncomfortable for me. They couldn't get that little tube thing they use OR the dye in me the first time. He said I have "Cervical Stenosis" and said my cervix was really really narrow. That's part of the reason I'm unable to conceive on top of a really good possiblity of having endometriosos. I'm having a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy done on the 25th of this month and they are also giving me the "Cytotec" to soften my cervix before they do the hysteroscopy.   I'm really nervous considering I've never had to have surgery for anything nor have I ever been sick really. Well until my periods started getting unbearable on top of not being able to conceive for about 6 years. Anyways, instead of me rambling on please let me know if you don't care..how that medicine works for you. I wish you the best and hope that everything else is ok. Take Care!
one person mentioned percaset before ther test...that is the first time I heard that...usually only tylenol or something similar. Think 1 or 2 percs would cover the pain? I plan on having this test done soon (just found out I have a tubal pregnancy - ending it tomorrow morning) and my insurance will cover a good part of the test, depending on the diagnostic code. I went to the er a few nights ago with pain (learned of pg then) and they gave me percs - have only used two and I've got a bunch since I have been able to mostly control the pain with tylenol so I would like to take them before the HSG test, if it is safe. Anyone else use them?
So I went and did my HSG today and I got back the results today. I think I should have carried it to the doc first but I opened it.

The results:
Indication:- Primary infertility

HSG - Endometrial cavity appears normal, both fallopian tubes identifies and appear normal. There is bilateral peritoneal spill.

Pelvic Ultrasound - Uterus is normal in size and homogeneous in echopattern. Endometrial strip is normal. No fibroid is seen. the uterus measures 7.3cm long by 3.7cm in diameter.

Both ovaries are normal

No adnexal mass or free fluid is seen,

Normal HSG

Negative study
My doc prescribed Ibuproden-APO 400 mg...I took one 45 mins before the test and I was fine. I was a bit scared because I was anticipating it to be HOT!, but it just felt like light period cramp and it left after 10 mins or less.
I just started feeling cramps. Is it normal to have mild period like craps a day after HSG?
It is very normal to have the cramps. It would be over soon... i had cramps just for 5 mins.... maybe yours is a little longer.... good luck to you for your baby.... hope we all get a baby soon.... it's a real pain without it...
Yes it is. Have you gotten your bfp as yet?

I haven't, Im still trying.
I hd been seeing ur post in diff forums ... got ur BFP ???
I am having HSG at 2:30 in the afternoon and doc told me to take (along with some valium and pain meds-my cervix is not very easy to open)misoprostol(cytotec) on the morning of the procedure.  "Early on day of procedure" is pretty vague....does anyone have any advice on exactly what early means??? 6 am? 8 am? 9 am???  I want to be sure I give the drug plenty of time to soften my stubborn cervix!  

Thanks to anyone with an answer