Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Hashimoto's - Permanent Infertility?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hashimoto's - Permanent Infertility?

Do the anti-thyroid antibodies prevent fertility?

Here's my background info.   DH and I began TTC in 1996.  In 2000 I was official diagnosed with "Unexplained Infertility."  In 2004 I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Sydrome and began Synthroid.  (Antibodies > 70)  My Hypothyroid was managed well until 2007 when my Hashimoto's progressed faster than management of it.  (Antibodies > 1000 - now getting blood work every 6 weeks and upping dosage until get to right levels).  

I have never been able to achieve a pregnancy despite many methods of medical assistance.  I was told if my hypothyroid is managed I could still get pregnant, but that has not been the case.  I have always ovulated, my cycle is as regular as the moon, I do not have any other hormones that are off.  Are the antibodies sufficient to cause infertility and if so, how?

Thanks for any and all info!

Tutta

I can tell you that from personal family experience that if your Hashimotos is controlled then you should not have any trouble getting pregnant from that side.  My sister has Hashimotos and has 3 boys.  Her levels have been controlled before after and during pregnancy.  I myself have had my Thyroid removed and am pregnant nor for the second time.  I have a 3 year old and am now 16 weeks with my second.  My levels have always been controlled and followed even more closely with each pregnancy.  Have you seen a specialist to have other fertility tests done.  Sometimes it could be something else.  I believe that once you have your levels to where they need to be then your chances of conception are like anyone else.  Good luck!
When you say "her levels have been controlled" do you mean her TSH levels?  How controlled?  Are they kept under 3?  2? What are her antibody levels?  

I have been to a fertility specialist and remain diagnosed as "unexplained infertility."  There is nothing wrong with me except Hashi's.  

In 2004-2005 my TSH levels were around 2 (nice and low) and still no pregnancy.  I am really curious to know about antibody levels and their effect on fertility directly.  
I am not sure what her levels are.  I do mean TSH levels.  I also had secondary unexplained infertility.  My Thyroid levels are fine and everything else is ok.  I had a baby with no assistance 3 years ago and then we tried for 2 years and nothing.  We finally went through IVF and am now 16 weeks pregnant.  Sometimes it is unexplained.  I asked my sister about her levels and she said she does not remember what they were her boys are 9,7 and 3.  Her levels are different now because of weight loss.  So I hope that helps.  
i have hashimoto's and have been pregnant 4x (2 m/c).  it is currently controlled and no dr. has ever told me it would keep me from getting pregnant.  by controlled, my dr. likes my levels to be right around 1, definitely under 2. over 2 is too high for me.  
Interesting!  Great feedback everybody!  Thank you!  

Now we will see if we can get me and keep me under 2 for TSH.  
I too am diagnosed with "unexplained fertility" and was diagnosed with Hashi's three years ago, however my thyroid levels have always been normal, so I have never been treated. My RE ran a test last month for antithyroglobulin antibodies and it came back elevated, twice. I've been doing research and there IS a correlation between antithyroglobulin antibodies and unexplained fertility and recurrent miscarriages.

The treatment is steroids during infertility treatments. I had a successful IVF cycle that ended in miscarriage before the antithyroglobulin test was run.

Everyone's bodies are different... keep searching for your answer! Best of luck!!
I was diagnosed with Hoshimoto's in 1985 and had a goiter.  I have been taking Synthroid since then, which initially took care of the goiter.  I tried for years to conceive and my levels were considered normal: jumping between 1 - 5. I never conceived, and my first marriage ended.

I was recently tested for perimenopause because I've had menopausal symptoms (night sweats, etc.).  I was taking Cytomel, but my endocrinologist said I didn't need to take it anymore and told me to stop taking it right away.

The numbers to test my FSH came back low, meaning that I'm not perimenopausal.  They also tested my TSH, which I didn't know was included in the test.  My level was 33.55.  I thought it must be a mistake so I requested a re-test the next day.  The numbers were higher: 39.95.  I am now on day 37 of my cycle and just today spotted.  My doctor is unconcerned.  I am beside myself.  I have been miserable.  I didn't even know the levels could go that high.  Anyone ever experienced this?  

Could I just be bottoming out because I stopped the Cytomel?  

Any advice is welcome.