Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
High Estrogen Cause Bad Eggs for IVF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

High Estrogen Cause Bad Eggs for IVF?

I have read that high estrogen levels can cause "bad" eggs.  We recently completed our first IVF cycle that resulted in a pregnancy but I m/c between 6-7 weeks.  My RE did not have much info on why it happened.  My Estrogen was 7800 at the time of retrieval, which I know is high.  Can high estrogen levels cause my eggs to be bad and in turn result in the m/c?  
Hi there,
First of all, I'm very sorry for your loss :( :(  
Honestly I have never heard of that.  I'm on clomid and my estrogen levels can be as low as 1500 at ovulation and this cycle as high as 3500 at ovulation.  I was just told it's indicative of the amount of eggs / follicles
sorry don't know
where did you hear this?  from your RE?
Sorry to hear about your m/c.

Ive had 2 IVFs this year. My estradiol was above 3800 the day before ER for both my IVFs and my docs were very happy. I was told that the more mature eggs you have, the higher the estrogen so its a good sign that the follicles are not empty and they'll get good sized eggs. Also estrogen is supposed to help develop the uterus lining better for implantation.

As for your concern about "bad eggs", when they retrieved the eggs and examined them in the lab they should know regarding quality so that would be a better indicator than estrogen levels i think. Did they mention something about egg quality to you when they did the transfer?
My RE did tell us at our follow up visit from the m/c that my level was high. My estradiol was 7815 the day before retrieval, not sure the day of retrieval, they didn't test. He said the problem with high levels is you get more eggs but they are not as good quality and the lower the level the less eggs but better quality.  

I am trying to figure out where to go next.  The idea of another IVF cycle is frightening to me.  We did not have any embryos make it to freezing and it makes me wonder why, was it me and my "bad eggs" or my husband?  Crazy things we think during this process.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers