Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
High FSH Level

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

High FSH Level

I'm 35.5 yrs old and was having a irregular period for last 6 months. I was not geeting my pd so went to see an RE. He suggested me to take the medicine "Duoloton L" for 20 days and go for the blood test for FSH/TSH/PRL on 3rd cycle day. My FSH level has came gone up as 47 and doc told me that it will be difficult to conceive with my own eggs but i'll have to go for donor egg option. Even though, my doc has suggested to go for another round test of FSH in next cycle, which is due next month.
I very sad now and want a help from anybody, what I can do to lower down my High FSH level.....how it affects a normal pregnancy? how much is my chance of getting pregnent with IUI or donor egg?
Well, firstly I'm so sorry!!!  It's never easy I'm sure to be told your only viable option is an egg donor, especially at your age.  

I'm not expert on these things, but I have heard that FSH can be affected by fertility drugs, and give a false reading.  What is duoloton l?  I haven't heard of it.  My FSH was 6 when I conceived my son, and around 8 when I conceived my daughter.  It's now 10, and has shot up in only a matter of months, however, I'm suspicious of it's authenticity as I was on fertility drugs immediately prior to the test being done.

There is advice on how to lower your FSH on the internet, but what I've also been told is that your FSH level is only as good as your worst ever reading.  However, I had definitely read of women who have had babies despite having very high FSH levels, and FSH alone shouldn't be used as an indicator.  FSH is only an indication of your ovarian reserve, but doesn't necessarily mean your egg quality is 'bad'.    And once you have concieved, the elevated FSH has no affect on the pregnancy, so don't worry about that.  It is just a measure of how many eggs you have left in your ovaries.  Some REs swear by it, whilst others don't give much credence to it.  Is your RE open to letting you do an IVF cycle?  Often, the only real test to measure your ovarian reserve or egg quality is to go ahead and do one IVF.  I would talk it over with your RE, and also go seek a second opinion from an FSH 'friendly' clinic or RE.  If your FSH really is that high, then I would probably skip the IUI.  Also, about using an egg donor, I should think your chances of a baby would be very high!!  And if you're happy to go down this track, it's also a very valid way to become a mum!!!  Remember, the egg is the donors, but from conception, you are the one nurturing that embryo, and making it grow, so there's an amazing and strong connection from that day!!

All the best to you!!  Seek out more answers, and don't stop until you've exhausted all avenues!!!  Having children is the best thing in the world :0)
Hi Marietta,

Thanks for ur suggestions and advice. you have given me hope of becoming a mom, even with DE. I'll talk to my RE, whether he is considering for an IVF or IUI ? I'm also looking for some help as how DE happens and the process of conception happens with a DE?
I'll really try my best to reduce the FSH level in one month time by doing some yoga and increasing blood supply to pelvic region...these are the suggested ways to reduce FSH level in the body found on net.
Thanks for ur support. God bless you!
I also have a high FSH, so I know how you feel.  I am in another forum and one member suggested Vitex in liquid form and Macca Root ( called Feminessence MacaHarmony on Natural Health International website.)  I am going to try them both and see what happens.

You are young, so that does help you.  How long have you been trying? I am going to be 41 in June and I am going to keep trying a little longer before I consider donor eggs.
Risa  
Hi! I also have high FSH levels... And i am now in the middle of a Donor egg ivf cycle. I had my transfer 3 days ago... just waiting to see if i'm positive or negative.. *SIGH*
But anyways... they told me that i needed to use donor eggs because they gave me a clomid challenge test... you take clomid for 5 days in the beginning of your cycle and then they test your blood on days 3 and days 10. My FSH levels on day 3 were 10..(not bad)...but on day 10, my FSH level was 19... (not good..it almost doubled.).. so... they told me that my eggs would not be viable, that i had diminished ovarian reserve due to my genetic disease. Its a very hard thing to accept..to lose your genetic link to your child.
My thoughts are with you...