Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
High FSH Levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Viewing 201-205 comments:
I cannot thank you all enough for your posts. Thanks to all your comments I now see that I don't have to resign myself to what my doctor told me. I can take control of the situation and at least try to make things better.

I'm 37 and my husband and I have been trying for 1.5 years with no joy.
He's 35 and was diagnosed with poor sperm morphology earlier this year.
I got my FSH levels on Monday: 15! I really didn't see this coming! See I work out regularly, have regular periods, eat healthy and I don't smoke or drink coffee. I have a healthy lifestyle and I look a lot younger than people my age. And yet my ovaries were telling a different story!!!!

According to our doctor we might not be favorable candidates for IVF due to the high FSH and my age, and that we should seriously consider egg donors.

So now while we are waiting for our hospital appointment with the IVF specialists, I have ordered the books recommended from amazon as well as looking for acupuncturists in my region.

Thank you so much for sharing your stories and making me realize that even though the doctors have given up hope, it doesn't mean that I have to!
I want to thank you all for your inspirational stories.  I'm 38 years old.  My FSH was 10.4 cd2 in March, 16.5 cd2 in September then went down to 11.4 cd8 that same month, and now the latest 17.5 cd2 in November.  My fertility doctor started off by giving me false hope of how he was going to help me at 10.4 then flat out told me at my next visit when I tested 16.5 that I have POF and referred me to another Fertility Clinic for IVF.  He requested one last FSH, which I waited a couple of months to take, that came back 17.5 and he left a message for the nurse to call me and tell me that IVF will not work on me and that I will need a donor egg.  I'm waiting for the results of my AMH test and wondering if I even want to know.  I had a chemical pregnancy in October, which was devastating emotionally, then the roller coaster of irregular cycles and symptoms the last few months.  I have two very close family members that are pregnant right now and my best friend just had an abortion, so it's nice to be able to read your posts and feel like someone understands.  I read something recently about making a lifestyle change and going on a fertility diet.  The doctor said if you were pregnant wouldn't you do everything possible to ensure your baby's health and well-being?  Well, you are preparing a home for your baby so why wouldn't you do whatever possible to prepare your body for pregnancy.  That really touched me because there's nothing I want more than a baby.  So...  I have been taking DHEA, prenatals, and other supplementation, and currently have gone on a fertility diet, eliminating caffeine, alcohol, sugar, wheat, dairy, non-organic meat, processed foods, and cold foods.  I drink grapefruit juice before O and green tea daily, and drink fresh wheatgrass whenever possible.  I also started acupuncture this week and will start on the herbs after Christmas when I can afford it.  I have also started exercising and I just bought some progesterone cream as I have had positive OPK's for the last 36 hours.  I am going to buy the Inconceivable book this weekend.  Thank you for all of your support.  I'm not giving up no matter what the doctors say.  My prayers are with all of you for a BFP!
I was reading your omment.  May I ask what is a RE and who was your doctor that helped you to conceive.

Thanks Jackie
Could you please tell me what kind of Chinese medicine did you try? Mushrooms?
What kind of Chinese medicine did you try? Mushrooms?
Hi, I had FSH of 16 and got pregnant in 2010. I mc at 9 weeks, now i think because of it. The pr.l did not go up. Probably poor quality egg. Have been trying since, nothing is happening...
Hi Vicki, don't be discouraged! I had mc too, hard time for me and my husband. Today, I went to new fertility doctor to start all over. I am 37 and my husband 39, we want just one child, preying every day for it. Hopefully this year it will happen for you and for me...
It's 3 months later and I've been going for acupuncture regularly as well as having wheat grass supplements. We've still not been able to conceive but my FSH dropped from 15 to 8!!!! The hospital says they will treat us as my numbers have gone down which is great news as it's very expensive to go private. I'm still hoping to conceive naturally but I'm grateful that IVF is an option too.

These 3 months have been tough as I found out that both my sister-in-law and a work colleague are pregnant and now that they are showing it's hard to ignore. I'm happy for them but it just makes me feel more inadequate and impatient.

Not sure if anyone reads this forum anymore but I just needed a safe place to vent.

Wishing you all much happiness :)
have you had any luck on your ttc journey?
I have exactly the same issues as you.
Just wondering if you were successful.
I am 25 and my fsh is 143 , just today my gp told me that and i'm gutted only crying all time dont Know What to do, he told me that he will send me to specialist but dont want to give me hope,  Have problem with irregural period over a year and just now he send me for test, do you think i Could get pregnant if he would send and Find It sooner
I'm 39 with high FHS, we went to see Dr in Feb for freezing eggs. My 3rd Day FHS in Feb was 10.3, he said it will be very hard to get pregnant. He gave me Diane 35 for 39 day and today 2nd Day FHS is 17.1, Ultrasound shown no follicle at all. I'm not qualify for IVF.
I have a lovely and healthy girl, 3 years and 5 months now, my second child a boy pass away over a year, my third pregnant was still born (after amniocentesis) last May, my 4st pregnant was miscarriage last October. I can't sleep and eat properly for over a year. We want another child ( children) so we tried to conceive but no luck. I decided to see the Dr as soon as I came to my country, Thailand.
The test result today make me feel liket this is the end of everything until I read your stories.
Thank you all of you and I will try again, for the one who has problem I wish you all the best and please don't give up hope.
PS sorry for my English.
Hi Zoe

I went through you experienced about high FSH , age factor and getting pregnent. Sister, I am also 43 and going through high FSH, 17.5  for  20 mlu.
Doctor is suggesting to go for egg donor as my eggs cannot be able to give good result. I am little worried. Please can you explain what is Accupuncture , and herbs. I am interested to follow the same procedure what you did.I am staying in India
So let me know about your child. Please reply soon to my husbands email id.
***@**** as early as possible. Good Day.
Hi, everyone,
I have just learned that I have FSH of 27, I am 35. I am soooo devastated, I am hapily married and ttc for 2 years. The only option I was given by expensive IVF clinics is egg donor- something I am not familiar with at all. I have asked my doctor to put me on a clomid  test( just so I try something((((), I have just finished the first cycle, going for ultrasound, but I do not think it worked... My doctor would not even prescribe me for the second cycle... I am confused and devastated- should consider to take a very expensive loan for egg donor IVF? Should I try weatgrass maybe? Any advice, please!
I'm a 44yo and I just found out my fsh level is 23. A year and a half ago it was 11 and my doc was optimistic...so was I.  Unfortunately with my BF in the military and us not seeing each other often I thought our timing was just off but now I'm worried that we wont conceive because I wasn't aggressive at level 11.  I'm really upset about the news today and feel like its the end of the road.  We really want our own bio baby but I worry there's nothing we can do.  It really suck cause I found the love of my life so late in the game and now I feel like we wont be able to share in the joy of creating a life.  All the stories are encouraging.  I just pray that one day I can reply to this with good news.
I am to in a situation like yours...just a little older though and I too need to find options.  I'm so scared that we wont be able to afford IVF or donor eggs if it doesnt happen naturally.  let me know if you find out any alternatives and I will do the same.  Im waiting to hear back from my doc.  I'm hoping she will have some encouraging alternatives.

I am 46 years old suffer from this hormone fsh and reached to 105 and I felt thehot flashes and night sweats and the absence of menstruation for more than three months and the doctor said to me impossible to come down Hrmonak andthe cycle come again until I got to know one of the sisters from one of the Forums Arabic has experience in alternative medicine by , i email her and gave  me mixture of herbs and some of the names for vitamins and method of use
Used the mixture of these herbs only  15 days to hormonal 44 and a week later I got a normal period

My FSH has come back at 13.2. I am 39 and de I have had 2 miscarriages in the last 6 months. We already had decided if i dont get pregnant naturally then we will give up with the knowledge that at least we tried and it wasnt meant to be.  My acupunturist says although 13.2 is high its not abnormally so and i am still far away from Menopause. I will continue the way i am going until i reach 40 then stop. I never realised the volume of couples who are affected by infertility. Its an awful place to be and can literally take over your life.
Its pretty heart wrenching reading some of the stories on here and also heart lifting to read the success stories.
goodluck to you all xxx
hello,

Which clinic did you go to and what doctor did see?
I have a high fsh of 9.12 my RE was talking about donor egg and said there is no Medicine to help. After I have re search found the DHEA helps.
Please let me know what Medicine will help to take before ovluation to have a good qaulity eggs and to do an IUI or IVF?

hI happenss.
Do you mind sharing that lady's email or the type of herbs she recommende.
Am 46yrs old trying to conceive but have high fsh at 25.5 cycle day 3 and my E 2 was less than 5pg! Doc has just put me on clomiphene citrate 50mg for five days then take another test to check responsiveness to drug.
Hi ZOE2B
THANK you ...thank you for such words of incouragement. I am 42 been thru 2 disappointing fertility treatments no pregnancies. I been so depress for a while. I given up on having a baby of my own. But today you gave me hope" I lost. can you please provide me with what natural treatment you did? Thank you.

***@****
I'm 36 and my levels were in the 30s. I was told I was well on my way to menopause and that my chances were less than 5%. I was told my only options were adoption or use an egg donor. This was 6 months ago.......last week I found out that I'm 8 weeks pregnant.  Less that 5% is not 0! It ain't over till the pregnant lady sings!
Hi, i am 37 and was tested to have fsh of over 20. Tested 2 times and it was the same results. Was told by insensitive doctor to get egg donor else there's no way to conceive and no hope also even if i try IVF. However i refused to believe him. Went to another doctor who was much more positive and pro-natural and when tested was still on the high side of about 7ish but doctor told me it is alright. True enough, i conceived naturally this Jan. I feel sometimes its all in the mind! Do not worry about fsh levels. i believe being happy and thinking positively can enhance one's health and even turn back the clock! Of course praying and believing in God helps a lot too! So get positive and do not believe that FSH levels is a true indicator at all for pregnancy to happen. Cos I conceived at a time when I was feeling least stressed up with work and most happy with life. If it can happen to me, it can happen to you too! Be happy and live life enthusiastically! Make love with passion too and the miracle will come. :)
HI, I too am 39 and found out today that my fsh is 13, it was the first appointment with the fertility clinic and found it a bit emotional. My partner is ok with sperm count etc.. so I guess this lies with me.  It is reassuring to hear the stories of others and feel alot better now that I know that I am not alone.  I guess we have to strike a balance between doing things to increase our chances while not causing it to take over our lives causing stress which lessons the chances of conceiving... kia kaha
I was 41 when I had my FSH tested....it was also 13.   I got pregnant twice at 42 and both ended in m/c...however.....the GOOD news is....at 43, I got pg on my own with my own eggs and have a beautiful healthy little boy.   Don't worry too much about your numbers...who knows how high mine were 2 years later when I got pg, but whatever they were, we found a good egg.   Now with that being said....I've tried twice since then and had a m/c each time.    Our eggs age and nothing will turn back the clock to make them healthier, however....using medications to bring more eggs up each cycle may help to increase your chances, you just have to find that one good egg and the more you bring up each cycle...the better your odds.  I took femara and Gonal-F and produced about 3 - 5 follies each cycle.   I havent' used anything for the 2 recent m/c's I had because those pregnancies were unexpected.   We haven't really been trying since we had our now 16 month old son.   Good luck to you, I'm hoping you find your good egg :)
From what I have read, FSH levels can change through out the month.  It depends on when your brain is telling your body to put out the hormone.  Had mine checked for different reasons.  Was in the single digits a year ago, battled breast cancer at 39, And chemo made my periods come to a screeching haunt.  Completed chemo, rad and now on tamoxifen.  Started bleeding like someone opened the flood gates last Friday and haven't stopped!!!!  My FSH level last checked 2 weeks ago was 21.  My gyno, who I am convinced is an angel, says that is slightly elevated but not close enough to be menopause.  I thank the Lord for the hot flashes stopping finally.  I live in south Texas and I love the heat.  Just hate the 15 rude awakings I would have every night with the sudden feeling on a blow torch being ran down my body!  2 words, if any of you are peri menopausal - bamboo sheets!!!!

Don't lose hope yet ladies !  And please , please, please - if and when you become pregnant, enjoy every minute of it!!!!  I did, and I miss it.  We were considering another child when my world was turned upside down!!!  And now I am afraid to try, for all the damage all the treatment may have done to my body.   So embrace your health, and for heavens sake- if you find a true lump, get it out !!!  Make sure you know your body and your breasts!  Check them throughout the month, we all know how much they change all month long.  I found mine while lying down.  Near 7 o'clock on the right breast .  I am larger breasted and was in great shape.  I would have never felt it while standing up, as it was in the "meatier", heavier part of my breast.  Not up top
Forgot to add - I stress "get the lump out " because mine was reported as benign after a very invasive core biopsy.  I followed my instinct, as I always have, and they called me two days later, stunned to report they found cancer in it!!  Mammogram missed it 2 months earlier, biopsy stated benign and it was cancer!!!!  My instinct saved my life!  Trust your woman's intuition!  It's never wrong.

If you aren't getting the support and answers you need and want, find another doctor!!!!  Its your life and your happiness that matters.  Get aggressive and take your own health back into your own hands.  Find someone willing, and more importantly, just as passionate as you are, about fulfilling your dream of having a baby!
Just so you know you gave me much hope. I always had normal cycles until my mom had brain cancer last Sept., then my periods became irregular. June of this year I had a hormonal panel done as well as an ultrasound to make sure it was not due to early menopause because my husband and I had decided to have a tubal reversal this July. My family physician said all was normal on two different occasions. Well I scheduled a gyno appt and just got back to find out that my hormonal panel results were not normal and my FSH level was 28. I just turned 38 this July  and this really devastates me. My gyno has put me on provera and plans on scheduling a three day as soon as I start my cycle. No one in my family has had early menopause so I am so very confused about what is going on. I paid out of pocket for the tubal reversal and had high hopes to find this out :(
I am having the same issue ..my level was 28 and the doctor who took those labs said the results were normal. Mind you this is prior to a tubal reversal i had this last July. My gyno just told me what the results were and asked if my family doctor told me the results. She put me on provera to stimulate my period and suggested doing a  new fsh level test. So disappointing is all I can say. I am 38 and have always been healthy and pretty much normal. No history of early menopause in my family either.
I am having the same issue. My family doc ran a hormonal blood work and said all the results were normal. I had this because my periods became irregular and I though it was due to stress since my mother had terminal brain cancer. I just turned 38 and had a tubal reversal in hopes of conceiving. Today I left the gyno dissapointed after she asked of the family doctor had given me my results ( of course he said normal). She said my fsh was abnormal and it was 28. I am scared that now I will not be able to conceive. She prescribed a 7 day of provera to start my period and then she plans to re check my fsh levels
I visited a holistic counselor a couple of months ago and she suggested using progesterone cream and wow my cycles have started and I feel like my old self again. I am waiting new fsh level results and hopefully this will work and I will be pregnant soon. I met another woman in the area and she said her sister-in-law is a midwife and suggested the same and she now has two babies :) Hope this helps!
Thanks for your feedback. My FSH levels are 12.3 and there's something abnormal with my ovaries. I cannot afford IVF or IUI treatments, so I'm going to be stronger than my brain. This stuff stresses you out. I will order the book and keep you posted.
I just finished Day 3 and day 10 of Clomid Challenge Test and was told my FSH is much too high...  I am 34 yrs old and have been married almost 12 years.  I lost our first baby in Sept 2004, then another one in March of 2009.  I have been unable to conceive again.  I was told back in 2006 that I was in premature "ovarian Failure".   I also have endometriosis and was diagnosed with PCOS.  It has been a hard long road...  After reading your post, I am curious as to the meds you mentioned and your success with them.  Would you mind going into more detail about what you did?  I had figured that after what the dr. told me yesterday, that my chances of ever successfully conceiving and having a baby are quite impossible now, but your post gives me some hope.  btw, back when all this started, I was referred to a reproductive endocrinologist who matter-of-factly told me (over the phone) that my chances of ever having a baby are 1 in a million :(  I was also informed my eggs are like those of a 70 year old (though no invasive procedures of any kind were ever done).  Way to give a gal hope... hunh?!
I just turned 28 and have been wondering the same thing. Five years ago my FSH level was 154, and I just had my levels rechecked it is at 133. I have been on Estrogen patches and Prometrium so far and all I have been told is that the odds of me getting pregnant might be around 10%. I haven't had a period for over a year, and I am thinking of trying the acupuncture and Chinese herbal remedies also. I am already taking wheat grass on occasion, so hopefully something gives. Good luck to you, I hope things have worked out.
Just to give hope to anyone with high FSH - mine came up to 14.7 and I fell pregnant second time round.  I used a sperm donor as I'm single and now only have 4 weeks to go:).  I was 36 too which would have made it that extra difficult.  Cheer up!!
Sorry for the miscarriage, but congratulations on your pregnancy.  I am currently 45 and would like to get pregnant.  I have had the initial bloodwork and waiting for the results of the AMH and FSH.  Did you do anything in particular to help along the pregnancy?
Your post definitely gives me a lot of hope!  I was told my FSH is 13 earlier this week and have been devastated. I am 38 and we also had a miscarriage last year, the fertility doc said it might have been down to my FSH levels?? They are sending me for more blood tests and another internal scan and then I will go back to see the doc again... Hopefully it all works out and I can go for IVF soon!
I know this post is 7 years old, but I had to post. I'm 45 and had my son four months and three days ago at the age of 45 and 4 months old. I tried fertility treatments, etc, etc. got pregnant twice, once naturally but miscarried at 8 weeks 3 years ago, and once with natural IVF (no stims, just waited for one egg) and it was a chemical pregnancy that ended at 5 weeks eight months before I conceived my son.

The month before I conceived him (naturally) I had another round of non-medicated IVF. My day 3 FSH level was 46.5!!!! That's not a typo...the month before I conceived my son my day 3 FSH level was forty six point five! The thing we did different, was we gave up trying to conceive. We found an adoption lawyer, completely gave up on TTC, went on vacation and just enjoyed our freedom from fertility stress.

Three weeks after the holiday, I tested positive on 3 HPTs. I still took my temps and knew I ovulated while we were on vacation, but didn't think it would happen. And now my son is sleeping next to me on our sofa! Don't lose hope ladies. Just try to relax. I know it's hard, I tried and couldn't either for five years. But you have to stop the obsession. He is my first child. I feel so blessed. Thanks for listening and I hope this helps give you hope.

Two infertility doctors said I would never conceive. I even had very, very low AMH levels three years before he was born. The doctor that took that test said I had a one in ten thousand chance of ever getting me pregnant, so I guess my son was a once in 30,000 chance! The doctors are only making educated guesses. Hold what you believe I. Your heart!
Don't listen to the bad news.... They are only making educated guesses, this is what I just posted "I know this post is 7 years old, but I had to post. I'm 45 and had my son four months and three days ago at the age of 45 and 4 months old. I tried fertility treatments, etc, etc. got pregnant twice, once naturally but miscarried at 8 weeks 3 years ago, and once with natural IVF (no stims, just waited for one egg) and it was a chemical pregnancy that ended at 5 weeks eight months before I conceived my son.

Two infertility doctors said I would never conceive. I even had very, very low AMH levels three years before he was born. The doctor that took that test said I had a one in ten thousand chance of ever getting me pregnant, so I guess my son was a once in 30,000 chance! The doctors are only making educated guesses. Hold what you believe in your heart!"
I am 36 years old, never been pregnant and trying to conceive for the first time. I have only been on birth control for about 6 mths of my life and I stopped taking it in Nov. 2013. My OBGYN says that everything looks normal and that we should try naturally for at least 6mths. It has been 5mth now, and nothing yet. I have regular periods and seem to ovulate regularly. A family member scared me to death the other day, and told me that there had to be something wrong for me to have gone this long without getting pregnant. She insisted I get my FSH levels checked. She said that if they are high, then I wont be able to get pregnant. Also, she said that because I am so old that I will have a high chance of having unhealthy eggs, and an unhealthy baby. Needless to say, I made an appt. to have my FSH levels checked this month. What if they are high??? What should I talk to my doctor about? What are my options?? HELP!
My FSH level is 61.2 and I am 40 weeks pregnant and am 51 years young.  I am 97% raw vegan for over 7 years...I look in my late 30's..So, how is it that i am pregnant with such a high level of FSH?

smiles&thanx
beverley
I am 51 years young, 98%raw vegan foodist..My FSH today is 61.1 and I am ready to give birth anyway...
I am giving birth anyway now...(mis-spelled)
after 6 months of trying, I had all the tests done, and my FSH level was a 12.5 at 35 years old.  I was told my only option would be IVF, and I was devastated.  I started to relax and stop trying because we didn't have the money at the time for IVF (I had cut out drinking, caffeine, was taking pre-natals, we were trying all the time etc) and just started living a normal life.  I got pregnant naturally less than 2 months later.  Anything is possible and miracles happen.
I will be following your foot steps thank you, you give me hope.
Hi Katy
Can I ask which doctor you have used and clinic
I have had tests done and my fish came back at 58 but I have normal periods and according to the ovulation test kit I am ovulating and it looks like I am ovulating early so I am looking for someone like your doctor who will do all possible test in me

Thank you Donna
Hi Katy

Thank you Donna
That is such great news!!!!!!  Congratulations to you!!!  I am 45 and wanting a tubal reversal this year so hoping I get lucky like you-love hearing stories like yours that are so full of hope-and never giving up-thanks for sharing your journey and best wishes!:)
please can someone send me an email to ***@****. about acupunture and weat grass am 32 with FSH of 11. been trying to conceive for about 3 years now.Please i will be very grateful if i get a reply soonest .Thanks
Viewing 201-205 comments: