High LH/FSH Ratio...does it always mean PCOS?
I work in a laboratory, so I ran a few test on myself today. I should be starting my menstrual cycle tomorrow or soon after. These are my lab results.
LH=10.9
FSH=4.19
Testosterone=29.5
All these results are within limits except my LH, which in turn causes me to have a LH/FSH ratio of 2.5:1.
All over the internet I keep seeing that this is diagnostic of PCOS, but I don't have any of the symptoms. Are there any other causes of an elevated LH when I have been perfectly healthy, with normal periods my whole life? I am 28 years old, have normal 28 day cycles, and have never had any issues with hair growth, acne, weight gain....nothing that would suggest that I have PCOS....
My husband and I plan on starting a family soon, so I'm hoping that this won't interfere, but everything I keep reading is scaring me....
LH fluctuates throughout your cycle.  It can be different from cycle to cycle on the same day as well. It can also be different from the am to the pm. Higher Lh on a constant basis can be a sign of PCOS. It can also mean you have a cyst. Not necessarily PCOS, rather a single cyst. They are very, very common and usually resolve themselves. An u/s would be the best help to see what is going on.
You mentioned you did the test just before your period...I've just had the FSH/LH test done and was told to do it on cycle day 3 as that's when the hormone cycle starts again.  During the cycle LH levels will rise and fall depending how far you are into it.  For example, LH will rise close to Ovulation and then Peak to release the egg.  I'm not exactly sure what happens during the luteal phase, but I assume it falls again.  Therefore if I was you I'd recheck the level again at the start of your cycle - I was told day 2 or 3, but no later.
Myself and my husband are trying for a baby at the moment but have had no success,its been 2 months since we started trying.I come off the pill in January and have had a period every month ranging from 29 days,32 days,35 days and 40 days,my last period was 28th July and after that they suddenly stopped.We have done 2 preganancy tests but both come out negative.I recently had a blood test done to check various hromone levels and they all come back ok apart from the LH is come back high.So I just wanted to know what this means?what could be the course?and will this effect are ability to concieve?

Hi there
I know your post was from last year....but it caught my eye because I am seeing a fertility doctor right now to try to conceive and so far all my hormone blood results have been normal except for just today I found out that my LH level is higher then my FSH level.
I am 40 years old and my FSH level ranges between 4.5 to 5..5 which is good for my age but my LH level ranges from 9 to 12.  I am going for daily blood tests this week to see what my hormones are doing prior to ovulation on a day to day basis and this is how I found out about my LH level being higher then my FSH level.
Like you, everything I am readying tells me that if the ratio is higher then it could mean PCOS.  But I have no other symptoms at all of having PCOS.
Did you end up being successful to get pregnant?  Or did you find out if there was a reason for the higher LH level?  Hopefully you are still on this site!
thank you!!
Hi um only seing ur post this year, I have the same problem with my LH it is very high as a result I don't even get my periods, I just want to know from both of ladies wat happened