Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
High Prolactin levels?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

High Prolactin levels?

For years my prolactin was around 95 but recently a medication I am on was lowered and my levels went down to 45 then to 28. I have not had it checked in months but think I will ask my dr to get it checks ASAP.. My dr told me that my high prolactin levels could be what is stopping me from Ovulation months ago and said I had two options.. I could try I think she said Parlodel or Clomid. I chose to try Clomid first and I am sure it is making me O.. but don't know if it is the high prolacin levels that is making me have low progesterone , short LP & what make me have the chemical last cycle.
Does anyone here have high prolactin? Did you take Parlodel? Did you get pregnant after using it? Or do you have high prolactin and you used clomid? Did you have good results this way? What about using clomid & Prometrium (progesterone)? Would those help when having high prolactin levels?
Right now on am in my 9th month of TTC, 3rd cycle on 50mg Clomid and am 2 DPO now taking 200mg Prometrium at night.   What I am wondering is who had success using Clomid & Prometrium with High prolactin levels?

thanks!!
hi i like you have also high prolactin levels...along with PCOS...i did clomod for 4 months before i was dx with the prolactin problem and out of 4 months i never ovulated so thas when i decided to move in injections and my RE told me i coudnt due to my prolactin being so high 43 at the time he also mentioned that this could have been a reason why clomid dint work for me anyhow i skipped 1 cycle and did the injections with ovedril and i know for sure that i ovulated beacuse i was having soo much cramping somenthing that i have never experienced before i just had 2 IUIs over the weekend and im TWW currently i will find out on Nov. 5 if this worked...but just so you know maybe clomid is all you need i just dint want to waste another month trying and i took prometrium before but that was to bring down  my AF  so i dont know and im currently taking progesterone gel to prepare my lining if im indeed preggo is clomid dosent work ive heard a lot success stories with Femara you should try that too sorry if i dint answer any of your questions but to me all this prolactin has been new im curretly taking dostinex half of a pill twice a week and its been 2 months now and my levels are down to 8! so its working...but GOOD luck and dont stop trying!!
Thank you, good luck to you too!

Also just wanted to note that I looked up my levels from when I had it last taken and it was 34 not 28.  
I also had high prolactin levels- highest level was around 75.  I was so frustrated that I wasn't ovulating.  We had recently lost a baby at 5 months gestation and I was desperate to get pregnant again!!  We tried for several month with no success. I was also prescribed parlodel and took it for about 3 months.  My prolactin levels dropped to single digits and the month following I found out I was pregnant.  I was given prometrium to up my progesterone levels, just to keep things on the safe side, but otherwise all has been good.  I am now 15 weeks pregnant and have had good results with the medications.  We are praying all goes well with this pregnancy.  Good luck and don't give up!!  PS- Anyone have spotting after intercourse when your prolactin levels were high??  Wondering if there is a correlation!  
I am glad to hear success stories! I just found out I have a Prolactin level of 51 and I have to see an endocrinologist for more infor. I knew there was a problem after missing my cycle for 3 months! I have been worried the past few days while waiting for my appt about fertility in the fure.
I also had high prolcatin levels and an MRI diagnosed a pituitary tumor which I had to have surgically removed.  After levels went to normal I got pregnant and now have a 2 year old daughter.
Hi I have high prolactin 75,I was trying to get pregnant for more then a year,then after the doctors find a tumor,that was produce by my high prolactin,they say that all I need is to keep it under control with medicine,so she put me on Dostinex,and after 2 months I was pregnant,I stop the medicine,and 1 year after my daugther was born,star the treament again,but I stop for a while now my prolactin leves are 75 again and the doctor put me on BROMOCRIPTINE 1 pild every day but my prolactin still high,the problem is that DOSTINEX is to expensive $112.00 FOR 4 PILDS with insurance,and the BROMOCRPTINE is only $45.00 for 30 pilds so is really hard.Maybe someone has a better sugestion.
Hi, I to have just been diagnosed with high Prolactin Levels. We have been trying to get pregnant for over 12mths now with no success. going for an MRI shortly but I was wondering if there was anything naturally that can be taken to lower Prolactin level. Also was wondering how long it takes for the medication take to lower Prolactin.