Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Hostile CM?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hostile CM?

So how does one know if they have hositle cervial mucus?  Is there a test for that?

I know I have a lot of questions and post a lot. (Sorry)  I'm just so amazed that everyone has so much knowledge on here and helpful...  thanks all!!
Tags: hostile, cms
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
455058_tn?1310571251
I was wondering the same thing. I've read there is a way to test it but my RE hasn't brought it up. We all have lots of questions so don't be sorry for asking.
Blank
318181_tn?1336447096
You could have a post-coital exam done. That's basically where you go to the doctor a certain amount of hours after having intercourse (has to be around ovulation) and they take a small sample of mucus from your cervix to see if there are live sperm there. There is some controversy about whether or not a negative test actually means that you have hostile mucus, though, but if they do see the little swimmers there, you can at least rule it out.

By the way, I failed my post-coital about a year and a half ago, then did three unmedicated IUI cycles because of that and did not get pregnant...only to get pregnant on my own a few months after that. It ended in a miscarriage, but at least it shows that a failed post-coital exam doesn't necessarily mean you have hostile cervical mucus and can't conceive.

:-)
Blank
566175_tn?1278434072
Thanks Heather5 ~~~~~~ That's interesting. ~~~~~  
Sometimes it's like all this bad news and doom and gloom and failed attempts just makes us feel hopeless.   Thank you for sharing your story and i am sorry that it didn't work out for you in the end.  But that means THERE ~~IS~~ HOPE!!  
Blank
455058_tn?1310571251
I'm sorry about your m/c but it is good to know you can get pg on your own. You will get pg again and it will stick. I was happy to know that I could get pg on my own even though it ended like yours. Do you know much about preseed? I was wondering if it could help at all even if you have normal cm. Will it help keep the swimmers alive and going longer. I was thinking about getting some.
Blank
178239_tn?1277409091
Heather's right on the post coital. It is about the only way to test and not 100% reliable. Out cm is naturally hostile. Even at o, the only saving grace for the little swimmers is to hurry through the ewcm and get out of the acid environment of the vagina.  Our ewcm can vary cycle to cycle from diet, etc. So every cycle you could get a different result.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...