Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How Do You Chart Your Temperature if TTC?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

This may be a dumb question, but after a recent miscarriage and a D&C, I have been TTC in June (didn't happen) and now I am on my P.  I want to chart my temp or use an ovulation kit, but I am new to this.  I know I can buy an ovulation kit, but I think I also want to chart my temp.  Is there a kit for that too?  I have NO idea how to do this obviously! :)
The ovulation kits are easy but can get expensive I would recommend the clear blue easy digital ones that show a smiley face if ovulating. The ones that you have to read the lines can be misleading. Also charting you temps you need to get a basal body thermometer. You can order one online. You will need to chart your temp every morning first thing when you get up at the sam time everyday before you do anything else starting on CD1. Charting your temps only tells when you have already ovulated. I prefer to use the ovulation kits so that I know when I'm ovulating for best preg. results.
I don't think there is an actualy kit for charting bbt. I just went to Walgreens and purchased a bbt thermometer. Many ladies on this site recommend Fertility Freind as a place to log your temps.
You are supposed to take your temp every morning before rising or doing any activity. Only after charting for a few months will you be able to see some similarities and know when you O. I did both the temping and the OPKs and everything matched up pretty much. You can also check your CM too, that also helps show when you O.

It is kind of fun to see how your temps really do change over the course of the month.

Good luck. :)
BBT charting is a great way to better understand your cycles! If I were you, I would go to FertilityFriend (.com). They have lots and lots of info on charting your temperatures there.

By the way, I bought my BBT thermometer at WalMart. I think it was $10.

Best of luck to you!
I used cyclewatch.com and i just used a regular thermometer.  My re states it doesnt matter what kind of thermometer you use as long as you use the same type/style each day.  This just his feelings.. i charted for 4 months so i could get on clomid and see a pattern in cycling.. please bear in mind it is a lot of emotional work and a daily reminder of the fact that your cycle may be starting once again,,,,,,,,,
I also used the ovulation kits and i truly feel this is the BIG factor in ttc on the right days.. Wishing you lots of luck
Thank you so much for responding!  I think I will try the digital kit.    I am in such a rush in the mornings to try & chart my temp everyday!!
Hi, I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. I know you posted a while ago, so you may have a good system going now, but I just thought I'd let you know what has worked really well for me. I've been charting my temp for a couple years now (I know, I know, long time!) and have finally found a good way to get a very reliable temp each morning. Usually I wake up around 5am needing to go the bathroom. It took a while to get in the habit and be able to remember while half asleep, but I grab my thermometer which I keep within easy reach on my bedside table and take my temp before doing ANYTHING. I try to barely wake up and hardly move at all. Many times I even start to fall back asleep with it in my mouth. If I wait until 6:30 or 7 when my alarm goes off and it's actually time to get up, I find that my temp has already risen quite a bit and is pretty unreliable for charting.

Also, I would highly recommend using a digital thermometer. When I finish getting my temp the thermo beeps and I just turn it off and go back to sleep or to the bathroom or whatever. Then, when I get up in the morning and it's light, I can turn the thermo back on and see what my temp was.  

I had a miscarriage two weeks ago, and am getting ready to try to start again when we can too. Good luck ttc! I wish you all the best!