Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How Soon Does Clomid Work? 1st Month Trying

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hi Everyone : )

I took my first round of Clomophene Citrate (Clomid)  days 3 to 7 of my cycle, March 14th being the first day of my cycle. I made sure to have sex the days my doctor recommended. I also took Robitussin during my fertile days to make sure my cervical mucus was not hostile. Seems like it helped. I should be expecting my cycle to start next weekend, April 9th or 10th....

Of coarse I am a little bit anxious to hopefully not start. But I just thought I would ask and see how many woman this drug has worked for and how long did it take? I have no symptoms of pregnancy as of yet, which I would assume it would be too soon anyway, right?

Please help keep my hopes up with your own personal experiences :D! Thank you in advance!!
Hi i took 3 rounds of Clomid, Unfortunatly it didn't work for me, i'm now on IUI.

Clomid basically helps you to produce more follicals. (stimulates your overies). I had EVERY side effect going with it. Hurrible stuff!!.
Terrible mood swings, use to argue with anyone and everyone, poor DF didn't know where to put himself!. lol.Along with Hot flashes, Dizzyness, Tired, Bloated, vomiting and aching all over. Hopefully you wont get it that bad, think i was just unlucky!.

Good luck and keep us posted
x
Thank you for your response =)

If you dont mind me asking, how come you only took 3 rounds of clomid and not 6? My doctor told me that I can take it for 6 rounds. What exactly is IUI? Is that insemination?

I am sorry about your side effects. I had major headaches and I was very moody! I hope this month is better for us all!

Lots of baby dust to you and I will def keep everyone posted!!

*love this site*
im new to this site. it seems as if i cant get any insite as to how clomid works. im hoping it works for me considering i have pcos. do you have any advice or anything i should know about it

I had also gone thru 3 rounds of clomid but it didnt work for me too, but u never know, it mite work for u in the first round,

lots of baby dust for all

Hi -
I took three rounds of clomid, then took a month off -- it was my month off that I got my BFP -- now I'm 37 weeks pregnant! GOOD LUCK, it's worth the wait!!!
SSBD to you!
Hi There!

Although I am not familiar with PCOS, I have been doing a lot of research on clomid. As for my own experience, I am now entering my 2nd round of clomid. I will def tell you that the clomid was really effective on me. My cycles were 24 to 26 days apart and the clomid put me right at 28 days. I also had a progesterone test done on day 21 of my cycle and it was a 28.24 which proves that I definitely ovulated. So it seems the clomid is doing what it is suppose to. The only problem, is it does not help with conception or implantation. That is all on our own individual bodies. It only helps with ovulation.

I have heard that clomid can cause thick mucus. So there are things you can do during your fertile window to prevent that from happening. Such as taking Robitussin, but it has to be the cough suppressant one only with only one ingredient called Guaifenesin. Its an expectorant that helps thin out your cervical mucus. Men can take it to during that time, it is suppose to help make it easier for the sperm to swim up there. I don't know that it always works because I have only tried it once and I am not prego. I also have heard about a lubricant called pre-seed. I am going to buy some because I noticed the clomid made me a little dry. It is a harmful lubricant that is sperm friendly. So it wouldn't hurt to use that if you wanted to.

Some of the side effects that I experienced when I took my first round was severe headaches, thick mucus and irritability. It sounds bad but it wasn't too bad. I"ll let you know how this next round goes. But from what I have learned about clomid, it effects everyone differently. The doctors are in control and as long as we follow the directions they give us, then we will get the correct results. They will let us know how the clomid is working.The key thing I am learning is patience and trust. We have help and thats what matters ;)

I was also told that if my cervical mucus is too hostile, then there is always insemination. I guess the point is, we can do all of the research we want but as long as we stick to the support behind it and not stress on the details, we will be ok. I over analyze everything, specially regarding fertility. I have been trying for over 8 years. Everyone is different and all we can do is what we can do.

I hope the information I shared with you was helpful!! I wish you the best of luck! Have you started taking your first round yet?? Keep us posted!
Hello there!!

Thank you so much for the response. It didn't work for me on my first round. So here I go to round number 2! I am sorry it did not work for you. Have you tried anything else?
Thank you so much for responding to my post! I love hearing success stories! It really gives me hope! Congrats on becoming a Mommy!! I hope to be able to post something similar to your post soon!!

Is this your first pregnancy? Was your infertility unexplained?

Thank you for telling me it's worth the wait, you are prove!!!
I have a story similar to JessWishes2 except I took Clomid for 6 rounds (though took a 3 month break in between).  JessWishes 2 lives in the UK so that might be why they only had her do 3 rounds, though I'm not sure.  I did 3 rounds at 50 mg and was quite moody and had hot flashes and sore breasts but did not conceive.  I took 3 months off, then did 3 months of 100 mg of Clomid and still nothing but this time, it made my AF (period) 1 or 2 weeks late each month so gave me false hope that I was pregnant.  Don't mean to be a drag, just want you to know that it could have that affect on you (though I hope it doesn't).  

Now I am down to doing IUIs -- that's "intra-uterine insemination" -- basically take a syringe with sperm in it from my husband and inject it straight to your uterus.  A bit uncomfortable but only for a couple of minutes.  I am also taking Femara to induce ovulation and it worked well this first month.  Had my IUI 13 days ago so either I'll get my AF in the next couple days or I'll get a BFP -- you know which one I'm hoping for of course!  :)  Been trying for 3 years now and would love to be pregnant before I'm 30 this August!  I'll keep people posted as best I can and good luck to you on Clomid, I hear there are great success stories, just not necessarily Jess and me.   Take care!
Hi Kimberleigh,

Thank you so much for your post!! It really helps to receive feedback!! Much appreciated. :)

I am very sorry to hear that the Clomid was not successful for you. That is a long time of waiting and for it to not work, I know had to be discouraging. But I must say, I admire you for your courage to keep pushing on and not give up!! So far, my doc and nurse say that I have reacted very well to the Clomid. I am hoping it happens soon because I have heard that it can thin out the uterus lining. I have made a goal that if I am not prego by the 3rd round, then I want to try the IUI. I start taking my 2nd round of 50 mg tonight, 3 to 7 days of my period. I am doing my best to not become discouraged. This site really helps bring support.

I am so excited for you with the IUI! I really really hope that you get a positive result!! No AF!!! How long does it take once you get your IUI done for you to know if you are prego? I know someone who just had IVF done on April 6th and was told she can test on the 19th. So that is 13 days. It takes time to implant, correct? So if you haven't started yet, then hopefully you are prego!! Please do keep us all posted on here, I am anxious to hear what happens!! I really appreciate the support and luck you are sending my way! Thank you again!

You are in my thoughts and prayers! We all deserve a chance at motherhood!!
hi
sorry to respond so late...my dr.recommended IUI but I dint go for it for two reasons..First I couldnt afford it and second I was damn nervous, so now we are back to our natural method of TTC and lets hope we succeed :) cuz my dr said theres no abnormality, ovaries, uterus fine, tubes clear, and I ovulate too...so I guess I need to relax and just enjoy the procedure instead of thinking of it all the time...ive stopd tracking my fertile days too ;) maybe sumday il get a BFP :)))))

I really hope that ur second round of clomid works for u and u get prego without any problems :D
and good luck to the rest too...baby dust to all!!!!
No worries girlie ;)

And hummm sounds like you n I have a lot in common. So far the only sign of infertility that I might have is ovulation problems. My cycles use to be 24 to 26 days apart. After the HSG test, they became 27 and with my first round of clomid, they became 28. So I am just hoping and praying that it can work for me. Whether it be now or in the next few months. It's so hard to go through all of this without feeling somewhat defective. Thank God for this site. It helps a lot.

I want you to know that I am saying many prayers for you and I really hope your lil miracle shows up soon!! Thank you for giving me support!! It means soo much!! : D!!!
I know you already saw that i am pregnant but to answer your question from April 12th, I broke down and tested the 14th day after the IUI.  IUI was 3/29/11 and I test 4/12/11 and got a strong positive.  Others I hear it can take a little longer to show.  I am just so happy to have the first IUI work!  Good luck to you, you are even younger than me so don't give up yet (doesn't sound like you will either)!!!  I was so pessimistic for SO long that I almost passed out when I saw the positive home test I took 2 days ago!  Waiting for more bloodwork results to come back from this morning -- just making sure my numbers go up like they should -- so I'll keep you all posted!  Take care sweetie!
congratsssss.........thats such a gr8 news..giving us high spirits!!

hope u have a safe pregnancy..:D
Thank you soo much for your support too, this site really helps..I was going into a depression state when I found it at the rite time...now I feel myself again, esp wen I hear success stories like Kimberleigh2208, GOD im sooo happy for her,,im thinking of going for the IUI too after talking abt it with my hubby dear...lets see if v can do something...:)

Thanks for your prayers....i sure need them alottttt....ill sure do remember all of u in my prayers too...

Giving HI spirits to ALL!!!!
I am just so very happy for you!!! : D! I really appreciate all of the details you have provided with your own personal experience. I have been very pessimistic myself until I did not end up prego on my first round of clomid. Something told me that I need to let things happen the way they are suppose to. Sounds kind of backwards lol, I know.  I know we all grow impatient because it seems so easy for others but not for us. I thank God for these doctors and methods. Your story has already uplifted my spirits as I look forward to make this round of clomid a successful one!! Nothing against those who do not need help conceiving but I have always been told that since I have to wait so long to become a Mom, that I will appreciate it that much more! I know that you will make an awesome Momma as well!!

I know that I will be the same way if I ever receive a positive test!! I pray that your pregnancy journey is as healthy as can be! Please do keep us all updated!!!

Thank you so much again for everything!

You are more than welcome!! Always**

I am so glad that you were able to find yourself again through this site! It gives hope to us all. Everything is one step at a time ya know? Easier said than done but I know we can do it!!

I am continuously praying for everyone on here because we all share the same pain that many could never understand unless they have walked in our shoes, sigh. But we will be okay! I feel it in my heart!!!

Hi spirits is right!! Spreading the good and hopeful energy to everyone!!!
hello
im thinking about asking for clomid as well.. ive been ttc for a year and nothing yet.. im just so scared of trying so many things and not being successful but i guess all we can do is have faith.. my cycles are also irregular and i found out that i have two small fibroid but  doc. told me they shouldnt be the cause of infertility since they are too small.. how does robitussin help ive heard of that a lot too.. ??
Hi There!! : D!

For me, for many years, I would talk to my obgyn's and they would recommend for me to see a specialists and my insurance never covered it. So finally, with the job I have now, I have Kaiser and it covers up to 50% of infertility. So in January I went to see the fertility specialists at Kaiser and I had a consultation to discuss everything and the first thing he wanted to do was check my tubes. During the consultation he did and vaginal ultra sound and said my ovaries looked fine. So as for the HSG (tube test where they shoot dye through your tubes) He said that if there was blockage than there was no point in putting me on clomid or trying anything else, my only option if my tubes were blocked would be IVF. So I did the test and my tubes turned out to be just fine. I was so thankful. Then since I had never had the chicken pox, he had me vaccinated, which took 2 months. I had to wait until then to start the clomid. He started me on the clomid only because my periods were 24 to 26 days apart. Which means a much shorter luteal phase. The first month I took clomid (last month) the doc had me do a blood test on day 21 of my cycle. It confirmed I ovulated. They look for anything over a 3 and mine was 28.24. So its def working for me. I was told to just keep taking it and trying and eventually if it doesn't work, then I could try the IUI.

All the Robitussin does is help with thinning your cervical mucus because that is what it is meant to do, thin out all mucus in the body. For most people its for when they have a terrible cough, of which I did last month, but in our case its to help our cm. I don't know that it works because I started taking it the day after I stopped my last pill for that round. I did not give myself a chance to see if I would be dry or not. But I was taking the Tussin and I def was not dry. So, in my opinion, it cant hurt. You only take it while your bedding. I just bought pre-seed, its a sperm friendly lubricant and well I tried it today and it works good. Feels completely like natural cm! Def a good investment and hopefully it helps the sperm travel.

So, I would suggest talking to your doctor about doing all the necessary tests and trying clomid if it is whats needed for you. I am learning to trust the doctor and give him a chance before stressing. I hope you can find some answers and more importantly help to help you conceive.

Steady praying for all of us woman wanting to become Mommas :)
thanks for the info. we've been trying for a year but im actually still learning a lot about how hard ttc is.. i just recently started seeing a doctor hoping to find answers soon and you've helped  a lot thanks..
i'll for sure be asking about clomid soon.
THanks again and baby dust to all of us!!! GOOD LUCK!!
Hello

My husband and I have been trying to conceive for about a year now. I took five months of Clomid and unfortunately did not get pregnant. Along with Clomid I was taking provera to help induce my period because it wasn't coming on its own. I also didn't like the extreme side effects that I got when taking this med. The stress of trying to get pregnant and the stress it put on my relationship with my husband was too hard. My medical insurance was another factor because my insurance does not cover infertility treatments, therefore my bill was becoming larger and larger every month, which is also stressful. Therefore I stopped taking the med. After doing some research and talking with some friends, I went to see a holistic doctor. After an intense appointment and conversation he suggested I get my thyroid checked. Therefore I did, and to my surprise my thyroid was showing severe signs of hypothyroidism. I didn't realize how having this could affect my reproductive system so severely. I have been on meds now for three weeks and just got my period. I haven't gotten my period without meds in about eight months! I am hoping that this is a new beginning for me. Have you ever ruled out your thyroid? I think people don't think of this as being a factor.... well at least I didn't anyway. Just a thought.....
You are more than welcome for all of the info : ). I am truly glad that I can help!!

Let me know how things go, keep us updated! Keeping you in prayer!! Thank you for the baby dust!!!
Hi There!

I actually have heard about the thyroid being an issue in regards to fertility. I am pretty sure I have had it checked but not positive. How exactly do they check it? I will definitely ask my nurse, just to be on the safe side ;-). Thank you so much for mentioning that, it honestly had slipped my mind. Now, does having thyroid problems cause fatigue?

I am so excited for you that you are finally getting a cycle! YAY!! It has to be a good sign!!!! I wish you all of the luck in the world!! Keep us updated :)
Thanks for wishing me luck in cycle department, Lord knows I need it :)

As far as getting the thyroid checked, I would make sure if I were you. I had my thyroid checked in August 2010 and they only checked my TSH level, which was 2.96. According to my doctor that was in normal range. However from August 2010 to March 2011, I continued to struggle with not getting my period or ovulating. I was on rounds of progestrone and clomid, which were not working either. Very frustrating! I ended up taking a break from all the meds and seeing a holistic doctor. He is the one that suggested I get my thyroid checked. I had my TSH levels checked again along with my T3, T4, Vitamin D. My TSH level was 47.8 (normal range according to my doctor is 0.5 to 5.0) My T3, T4 and Vitamin D were all low as well. This pointed towards hypothyroidism, which affects menstraul cycles as well. Some doctors do not check the TSH, T3, T4 and Vitamin D, but in order to see the whole picture they should. I would make sure they are all checked.

As far as symtoms (symptoms) go, I was extremely tired/fatigue no matter how much sleep I got. I also gained 22 lbs in a year. Something I am not proud of.... however I hadn't changed my eating habits so it shouldn't have changed that much! Along with not getting my period, I also have had a history of indigestion issues, dry skin, moodiness, slight depression at times, consitpation and these are all signs of hypothyroidism and I didn't know this before. I only associated weight gain and fatigue symptoms not all the other things. Therefore I think it's always worth a check.
hi itook clomid for just 1 month and i got pregnant now my child is 3in july .im on my first month of clomid again lets cee is it works this time
Hi i have been trying for a child now for 6 years, i already have a 7 year old child and since her i'v done nothing but trying. I only went to sort this out last year and found out i had PCOS which made me depressed so i never went back to speak to them till just before crimbo this one gone, and they scanned me and said that it's gone now i'm ok but still nothing so they did an x ray on me a few months ago and tested my tubes and womb to see if there was cysts blocking them and nope there fine but i'v had about 6 blood test's done to see if i'm ovulating but nothing they couldn't tell my result's kept coming back as not sure or cannot tell.which i find is weird.
I used to have very irregular periods since my daughter i went for a whole year on my period missing a couple of days here and there but basicly non stop for a whole year but in the past year or so they have become so regular it's near enough to the exact day now which is good.

They started me on clomid 50mg  days 5/9 and said best days to try is 13th to 15th days from the start of your period. but other people are telling me different ways and i don't know what to do for the best i can never tell when im ovulating the ovulation kits are to expensive so i got a thermomiter  and i just keep forgetting to use it in the morning lol im on my 15th day today we had intercourse for the last 2 days but missed 3 days before as to tired which is stupid tbh so today should be my day so we will see.

My gyno wasn't to encouraging towards clomid but it was my choice to try it if i hadn't of mentioned clomid he wouldn't have put me on it,

My partner got his sperm test he's more than good with his count so my gyno basicly think's i should be able to do it naturaly without tablets he doesn't know why i'm not falling pregnant but it's been 6 years for gods sake lol
i ovulate on my own but after 2 shots of depo was very slow i gave it 18 months of waiting then took 3 rounds of clomid 50mg and fell with my daughter now 4 and fell with my son with no help and very fast he is now 2 trying for number 3 now but have learnt not to stress and to go with the flow stressing doesnt help i hope every one has good news soon :) x x x
im new to this to i took clomid for 3-7 days of my cycle and i am nervous. i have irregular periods . has anyone gotten pregnant that has irregular periods by taking clomid
Hi , beddajess :) I just want to let u know that, do not use any lubricant even though your vagina is dry because it's kill the sparm . I know it's hard to do intercourse like that but I'm sure u don't want to miss any  chance:) lot's of baby dust. May ALLAH give u a nice cuddly  cute baby .
I used clomid with my. Son he was born healthy at 8 lbs. 11 ounces  with just the first round ..have sex with a pliiow under you then lie on your left side for 20-30 ,minutes after sex then put legs in the air for ten minutes on the wall.:-) this really works..good luck