Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How do you give yourself a shot in the belly?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Tonight at 11:00 pm i'm supposed to give myself a HCG shot in the belly. Usually DH does it, but tonight he is working the night shift. I was going to go up to his work and have him do it, but the nurse said most of the women do it themselves. I'm scared just thinking about it!! I'm usually okay with getting shots, but the way I cope with it is by not looking.  Can any of you tell me how you do it?  Any advice is appreciated.  
A shot in the belly is not as hard as you would think. I was scared to death to do it myself. The first night I started my shot dh was in a really aweful mood and just said he would do it later. I got tired of waiting and I did it and have been since (it has only been 6 days). Here is what I do...I get everything ready, fill the needle, lay down on my back, pinch the fat part on my belly, hold the needle where I want it to go in, put my head back and just stick it in. You will know when it goes in. I have to say that me pinching my belly hurts more that the needle going in. I just make sure I don't look at the needle going in OR it will hurt more - it is all in my head.
Good luck
I draw an imaginary line across my belly (left to right) through my belly button and don't give shots above that line. It hurts a lot more if you go above the line.

Also, try to stay at least an inch away from the belly button when you choose a spot.

It is easy to give yourself a shot in the belly. The anticipation is what is hard. If you are worried, you can ice the spot first, to numb it, and then you won't even feel the ***** of the needle (not that the ***** is all that big of a deal).

You can also google "instructions for giving yourself a shot for ivf" or something similar and get directions online.

Good luck!
It is easy, it feels like a mosquite bite. Just pinch your skin around the belly bottom with two fingers and then insert the needle. Believe me it is not that painful. Just wipe with alcohol swap before and after.
Thanks for all the great advice ladies.  I tried but just couldn't do it.  I ended up driving up to DHs work and having him do it.  The angle felt awkward, and I wasn't sure how close to the muscle it had to be.  I often over think things and that may have been the problem also.  Hopefully I will get BFP this time and won't have to worry about it again, but if not, I may try to do it myself next time.  Thanks again!!  
I just did an injection with the Gonal-RFF pen, and I came across a website with the best advice! I want to share it with everyone! It worked and trust me when I tell you, you don't feel a thing. I was quite nervous. After preparing your supplies, ice the area for at least 1 minute. Disinfect with the alcohol swab, and put it in fast, but don't look. It didn't hurt, I was totally numb! The ice did the trick. I hope this advice helps all of you out there.
Wow all of this is great advice!!! I'll need this info soon when I start the injections... the shot in the belly does have me VERY nervous!!! You guys def. calmed my nerves a little...
Just did my second injection, an absolute breeze and no pain! This may sound so easy and it is, as long as you listen to me and use to ice for one whole minute to numb the area, thats one of the secrets. The second is, DON"T LOOK! The first month I did the Ovidrel, I looked, and I'd unintentionally stop when the needle touched my skin, it was instinctive. That didn't work and I felt the pain. Without the ice, and the looking away after you have your skin pinched, I don't know how I'd manage! Trust me girls. You're talking to a world class weak one who's strong now because she can do it and spread the great advice.
http://www.ferringfertility.com/medications/trainingguide.asp

try the link!! :-)