Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How long does it take to find out Sperm test results?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

My partner will be going for tests the 2nd week in July.  How many samples will he have to give and over how long a period?  also how long does it take for results to come back?  I'm hoping he has nothing wrong with him as he already thinks he is the problem as to why we haven't conceived as yet i'm just hoping we're taking a bit longer than most people in conceiving.  Please help me with this i need as much info as possible.
Hi we have been down the S/A route.. so can offer you some answers based on our experiences. I see you are in the UK so your testing should be the same as us. Are the tests being requested by the GP and being done at the hospital?

Our results take 48 hours to filter back through to the GP.  (we were told we could produce the sample at home and take to the hospital as long as it was at the lab within 2 hours and there by midday - we were also told to keep it at body temp)

Depending on the results you will be asked to give another sample if they come back borderline or low.

If you are requested to repeat the tests these are generally done after 3 months (90 days) as that is how long it takes to produce a 'new generation' of sperm

There are a few factors that have to be taken into account.. how long from producing the sample to the lab it took, how the sample was handled (i.e at what temp it was kept) and how long prior to producing the sample was the last ejaculation. All of these factors can alter the results!

Good luck - I hope it all comes back ok for you =)
Thanks very much, yes it will be through our GP that the tests will be done.  i've had a smear, swabs and blood tests and all came back clear.  Now all we need is for my partner to be tested if he's fine then back to myself to see if i have any underlying problems i don't know about.  

I honestly hope we are both fine 19 months of ttc is taking its toll on both of us.  We're trying to get an appointment for the 16th July as we are on holiday the week before. I hope i conceive before then so but i seriously doubt it.  Thanks again for the info
I will keep my fingers crossed for you that all is ok :) The annoying thing with the S/A is if they find something that they think is not quite right you have to wait another 3 months to be re-tested which is so frustrating when you want to be pregnant like yesterday!!!!

I know what a strain it can be and how disappointing it with each month that passes & really hope that your BFP is just around the corner!!
my DH went to a urologist. He gave them the sample and the dr looked at it under a microscope and gave him the results right there!
I had one done a few days back.I collected the sperm at home and I had to bring it into the lab within an hour.The results were sent to my doctor the same day.
thanks very much guys for the info i so hope nothing is wrong with him i don't want to see the look on his face if it is my partner with the problem i'll be so upset for him.  I'll keep you all posted what happens, thanks again
sir
can i collect the sperm in home itself and submit to doctor within an hour?