Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How long does sperm live?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

How long does sperm live?

I use KY all the time & heard that it may not be good for concieving, do you guys think this is correct? i have to use it all the time because i have vag dryness. Also i ve been bedding kike crazy because its my O time & i'm tired. How long does sperm live? i need a day off :))
The longest it can live is 72 hours but that is pretty rare, most likely 24-48 hours.  And, most things I have read say that you shouldn't use any lubricant or saliva or anything if you can help it. Try water????????
I've read online that it can live up to five days, but I have also read that the health of the sperm decreases with time. I don't know anything about the KY though. Good luck!
All I know is every other day.  My doctor said to start every other day about two days before ovulation.  We have been everyday, I don't know...my husband can't wait every other day.  It is all making me crazy.
Let me clarify ... by "time," I mean that I was told when I asked a similar question that you don't want to start having intercourse several days prior to ovulation because the sperm won't be as healthy when you ovulate. It is better to allow the sperm to build up and begin having intercourse closer to ovulation (i.e. a day or two before). Best wishes!
KY is not good for conceiving.  It won't prevent pg, but it's not the best to use if you're already having trouble ttc.  They make Preseed lubricant which is more sperm-friendly if you are in need of lube.

As far as the life of sperm, in the lab they can live about 5-7 days, but realistically in our bodies it's more like 3 days.  Because of this, you don't need to BD every single day if you don't want.  Every other day is sufficient.  However, if you really want to BD every day then go for it!  The important thing is that hubby is turned on.  This ensures the best payload.  Sometimes it's hard to be really turned on every single day, so that's why every other day is sufficient.

Good luck!
I've read out of "Your Fertility Signals" by Merryl Winstein that if your tccing, then to have sex like every other day, to give the sperm time to rejuvenate.
KY kills sperm. DO not use it if TTC.
Use Preseed =)