Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How long should HCG stay in your system after a Trigger shot?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

For any of you girls that have done IUI or injectibles and you've taken an  HCG trigger shot to force the ovulation...how long should it stay in your system?  I thought I heard at least 12 days, yet today is day 9 for me since I took it and I just took a pregnancy test and it came back negative which concerns me that the HCG isn't still showing up from the shot?
hi,from what my gynec told me,HCG turns into progesterone in 48 hrs and very minimal might stay back in your body uptil 10 days,so don't worry if its neg now,u might get a BFP in a few days time!
The general "rule" is to wait 12 days after your last injection because everybody is different.  In order to avoid false positives, they tell you to wait until the injection is definitely out of your system before testing.  Of course, as with everything, everyone is different.  It's best to wait a little bit though just so you don't get your hopes up.
Well that's what concerned me...I took a preg test today and it's only 9 days pass the trigger HCG shot and it came back negative??  I wonder if the shot didn't work?
when i get the hcg shot i have to wait until i start my period to tell because mine stay possitive the whole 14 days
i am sure your shot did work do you know how much of the shot they gave you?i had 10,ooo ,did you get any ov pains or very sore breast after the shot?for some reason every time i have the shot my stomach also feels very bloated,sometimes the shot just stays in different woman for longer or shorter periods of time,as long as you know that it was injected  in to you then it did what it was there for i'm sure,its always best for it to be out of your system anyway so that way if you test again in a few days and you do get bfp then it will be for real,and sticky ewwy goowey baby dust to you!!!
I did my first iVF cycle on July 6th and had the shot of HCG 10000.00 units on the 5th. Then went back on the 8th for the transfer. They transfered one egg the doctor said that the eggs were perfect and in good condition. I had 11 eggs taken out and 10 fertilized and  i have 8 frozen. It is now day 13 i have taken 3 HPT this week and they all came back positive should i believe the test results my blood test is in 3 days.
071707, sounds like a real BFP to me.  Good luck!
My RE told me that the trigger shot stays in yor system for 10 days, so NO testing until after cause it will result  in a false positive! I had my 2nd trigger shot (Novarel 10,000 units)  Wednesday nite and go back Friday this week for bloodwork! :)
I took my HCG trigger shot 17 days ago.  I was told to wait until Thursday to do the blood work, but I couldn't.  I took a pregnancy test last night and this morning and they both came out positive.  I am so happy, but afraid that it might be a false positive.  Do you think that the HCG trigger shot is out of my system and this positive HPT was accurate?
I did a hpt before only a week after my iui. i wished my md had told me about the possiblity of false + but i was not., I took a HPT and came out +. Because we've been trying for years, we were so excited and told everyone, only to find out it was a false +. To all you ladies out there, I know its exciting and you cannot wait but I suggest that you just wait for the blood test. Now, I just had my embryo transfer on monday, and Im very excited to check myself to, but I will wait until the 18th to test that way I dont get my hopes up again. Goodluck all mommy to be!  
Thank you!

So interesting I am new to all of this. I had my 2nd IUI 4 days ago (I am 43 and single so using IUI). The 1st IUI was all a bit chaotic (wasn't sure if I ovulated or we missed my ovulation altogether as the follicle looked squashed) but they inseminated anyway when my follicle was 17mm on day 15 of my cycle (my cycle is only 26 days so it didn't look good). Anyway this time was like clockwork. Started period on time (i'm not so regular) and using my persona ovulation kit my 'O' showed up on day 12 (perfect). On day 11 I had an ultrasound and my follicle was 19mm and a real chubster (yippee!!!) I went to pick up my HCG trigger injection (and had to phone a friend to come over to do it for me- wasn't sure if I could follow through with it myself as I don't use medication or injections). Of course I have continued to use persona wee sticks daily and was convinced I was pregnant then this morning I had the thought that my hormone injection may be giving me the double lines damn!! So from what everyone has said I realise now that I am reading a daily positive because of the trigger shot. Fingers and ovaries crossed that this positive is a POSITIVE indeed. (ps glad to know that the trigger causing bloating with someone else...was starting to think I had suddenly put on a chunk of weight!)
had my trigger shot 10 days ago and Egg Transfer 6 days ago have just done a HPT an it came back negative do you think there is a chance I could still get a positive???? I know its too early to test bit I  just couldnt help myself!!! help please xx
You've probably already gotten your results since I'm replying over 2 wks after you posted, but if anyone else is reading this and wants to know the answer to your question--no pregnancy related HCG will show up in your system until after the embryo implants which, I believe happens between7-12 days after egg retrieval day. So having a negative home pregnancy test before that doesn't mean you won't be pregnant a week later. (And keep in mind, some women who are pregnant still don't get positive HPT results, but will with a blood test).

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!