Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
How many times has anyone done IVF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

How many times has anyone done IVF?

We are going to try IVF again since it didn't work the first time. My question is how many times any of you have done IVF and how many tries until it worked? My Dr said it takes an average of 3 tries until it works, he said it can work the 1st or 2nd time but 3 is average. Just wanted to know what some of your experiences were. My limit is 3 so I will try 2 more times then look into other options. I had two grade 1 embryos at the 8 cell stage but for whatever reason it didn't work. Also, next time I am requesting more embryos to transfer. Which is my next question, after anyone's first failed IVF how many embryos did you have transferred your next time? See, none of our embryos made it to the blastocyst stage so we couldn't even do a FET.
I just went through my 2nd IVF and now I am waiting for my blood test on the 23rd to see if I am prego.  My first IVF I had 7 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, and only 1 made it to transfer. BFN! I only have 1 ovary so the Dr. wanted to see if this cycle I could get more follicles. So, last Tuesday I had my 2nd IVF and I had 15 follicles but only 8 eggs...7 were empty. So this time 4 fertilized and 2 went on to transfer on teh 11th.   I have not had any that went to the 5th day or any for FET but I believe that my embies are strong and could do it.
But I know that where my husband works there were an average of 12 women in the last 3 or 4 years that went to this clinic all but one had success on the 2nd try and the one had success on the fourth.  
I have heard many stories and everyone is different just believe that your embie could do it and all it takes is just 1.  My doctor that did the transfer told me that not to long ago he had a woman who was 47 years old and was able to get 3 embryos from her and on day 3 tranfered them.  They were a 5 cell grade 3 and all 3 took.  She is now pregnant with triplets. This gave me so much hope.
Good luck and I pray that the 2nd time works for you!!!  I have 2 more tries after this but I am praying that this is the last!
Thank you so much and best of luck for a BFP!!!! Hope this time proves successful for you!! That story gives me hope as well. I heard stories where what a Dr might consider "lower grade" embryo make it over a higher grade one, so you never know. Let me know what your results are, I'll be checking for your posts! That's so exciting :o)
I am doing my third IVF in November.  The first IVF I had two grade 1 embies transfered, BFN.  None to freeze.  The second time I had three transfered but the quality was not as good, BFN.  Both times they were having trouble with one follicle out growing the others.  My RE said it is b/c my own system is working the way it is suppose to and that they can not seem to override it to make more follicles.  Great, ugh!  I don't have any tubes so there is no way it will accidentally happen.  Anyway, I am hoping that three is the charm.  You know, I have read stories of people that have got preggo with one embie that was not good quality as well as people that had many embies of great quality that didn't get preggo.  I don't know if there is anything anybody can do to better their chances.  It seems to be up to our body and those little embies.  Our body has to allow them to implant and they have to be strong enough to be able to implant.  My RE said b/c of my age, probably 3 out of 4 of my embies are abnormal even though they multiply the way they should.  I just have to pray that it will happen and know that if it doesn't there must be a reason.  Good Luck!  Try to relax and let nature take its course.    
hi there i had my try of ivf took a long time for me to shut down then restart up we got 4 eggs on on the 1st oct then on 2nd tu 3fertil then on wen we had 2 embroys implanted i was to do preg test on the 16 thoct  but i started to bleed on sat and sun and was told to wait till friday to do test again but we can say its gone  i am gutted i am going back for my round up chat on frid 26 oct i am going to try again in the new year i am going to do three cycles and hope one works i do wish i had found this site before i have learnt more in the last few days  and its great to now we are all thinging the same and here for each other
We did 2 fresh cycles, first time 2 day 3, BFN, next cycle 2 blasts, grade 1, froze 5, BFN. Did FET Oct 2nd, 2grade 2, 1 grade 1. BFP. So technically we did 3 cycles.
Hello....we have been through 3 IVF's.......IVF #1 - BFP ended in ectopic, IVF #2 BFN, IVF #3 BFN, au naturale.....BFP!!!!  DOn't give up girls....we were getting ready for IVF #4 and bam!!!! We got pregnant on our own!!!!  It is a MIRACLE.... I am currently 14 weeks!!!
Jacquie
Good Luck to you all... I know it's rough, but BELIEVE!!!
Thats great projectbaby.  I don't have any tubes so it would truly be a miracle if that happened.
hello!

I just completed my 2nd ivf.  The first I had 5 follicles, 3 fert and 2 transferred.  This time around, I had 15 follicles, 7fert, 2 transfered and one frozen...the others were not good enough to freeze. I don't think there is a magic number of times till it finally works but I wish there were!!!! All we can do is keep trying and stay positive.  I am hoping for a day 5 transfer next time around.  I want to do whatever possible to increase the chances.  Best of luck to you and stay POSITIVE!!!!!