Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Hycosy sonography

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Hycosy sonography

hi im just wondering has anyone had a hystero salpingo contrast sonography??? ( test to see if fllopian tubes are blocked) if so how painfull is it????
  • Sonohysterogram (13 replies):
    Has anyone ever gotten a Sonohysterogram? I now have to...[more]
  • Is HSG painful? (10 replies):
    My gynae asked to go for HSG in 2 days time. Can the pro...[more]
  • anyone have an HSG? (7 replies):
    Hi! ok, here's my background, had an ectopic pregnancy ...[more]
  • HSG test? (98 replies):
    Hello All, Here is the update from y'day. I went for ...[more]
  • HSG (31 replies):
    I am having a hsg done friday morning to see if my tubes...[more]
I did have a hestero salpingogram and it was painful for me.  My doctor told me that for many women it isn't.  She stated it will feel like minor mentstral cramps.  I rarely have cramps and only have a "panty liner period", so I had bad cramping.

Good luck with it.  : )
Mine hurt -  but my friend at work said hers was nothing to complain about.  
ok thanks :) hope u had good results x
My HSG didn't wasn't painful.  The initial injection of the dye was definitely uncomfortable, but I definitely didn't have any pain during or after.  The SIS on the other hand, REALLY hurt (I cried out when more saline had to be injected and my eyes watered).  My RE was surprised when I told her it hurt worse than the HSG.  Part of it may have been my expectations since everyone (including the doctor) hypes up the HSG so much and then make the SIS sound like no big deal.
ok :) it all sounds so terrifying!! x
This was your water sono?  
I've had 4.  The first I was completely under so I didn't feel a thing, 2nd hurt like heck because one tube was completely blocked so the dr kept trying to push more through so he could open/break up the scar tissue in the tube, 3rd didn't hurt at all, and the 4th one didn't hurt at all.  

Suggest taking some ibuprofen before going in.  It helps.  

I had one about a year or so ago. It hurt like menstrual cramps, but I was advised to take two tylenol and two advil, 1 hour before the procedure.
I only remember being in pain for the procedure.  I was a little uncomfortable for a bit after - but I don't remember pain for the rest of the day.  (I also took a healthy dose of motrin prior)
-They didn't let my husband in for that test though, that was disappointing because I felt like it was the hardest one and I would have liked the support :(
ok thanks everyone, iv gotta wait and do a pregnancy test on monday an if im not pregnant iv gotta have the test 11days after
Hi there! I had my hycosy 10days ago, it vas painfull but probably just bec I have blocked tube. But after that I actually felt good-I've done finally something right, at least I know what may be the fertility problem.
So, they've said not to have intercourse 48h, but we didn't wait so long, I had cramps but  nothing too bad and was ovulating. I am still so bloated and feel small cramps and pain im my lower stomach, I am very concerned. So what are your experiences afterwards? Thanks a lot....
I have had several of the hsg tests over the past couple years both with saline and with the dye.  I found it was good to take ibuprofen an hour prior.  The tests themselves were mostly just uncomfortable due to the speculum and there was some cramping with the saline or dye injection then it wasn't terrible.  I mostly felt bloating and pain/cramping later in the day due to the fluid collecting in the abdominal cavity and that was the worst part.  Just take pain meds and you will be fine!  I know I stressed about these tests but they are not as bad as you have probably built them up to be in your head.  After one of my hsg tests I concieved my 2nd child that same cycle so good luck.
Thanks a lot for your help!!! Yes I took pills, but the blockage was probably so bad that it hurted so much. Even the nurse and sonographer were concerned. They've just said about my blocked tube and that I ahve folicule on my healthy side, I did ovulation test that day after hycosy-yes I was ovulating. I can feel the pain lately, so I new. But who knows? The luck is that I was ovulating from my right healthy ovarium, but the'we also said not to have intercourse for 48h. We didn't wait two days, just one. My period shoul start in 14days and I feel cramps already, and am so bloated, that is almoust impossible.
Thanks for good wishes! And yes-I am very stressed bec of all the test, even though this is only the beginning. Thanks again....And-you concieved right after hsg test, that's good! My test was with Levovist, and I've heard that is not paifull at all, and much easier comparing with hsg, but still I was in pain. So I should decide about Laparoscopy, which is not small decision to make. My husband is working away which makes everything harder and scary...Have you had Laparoscopy, if not-why? I mean isn't the next step after hycosy or hsg Laparoscopy where they can see everything from inside and try to fix possible blockages or other problems.