Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
I Haven't had my period in 4 years!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I Haven't had my period in 4 years!!!

Before I stopped having my period, it was pretty regular. Then it just all of a sudden stopped and i have no clue why. I went to the doctor after the 1st or 2nd year and they put me on birth control to make me get them again. But then they stopped yet again. And i talked to some of my friends abot it, and a few of them said i may not be fertile anymore, which means i can't have kids. And ive tried to test that theory a few times, and im still not pregnant. So what do i do?? I have no health insurance to go to the doctor or anything.
Tags: 4 years, test
When you say your periods stopped again the second time, had you stopped taking birth control by then? If so, you may just need to take some hormonal supplements when you do want to get pregnant.

I don't think it necessarily means you can't have kids...you might just need some help getting there.

Take care!
I was on depo-Provera I was on it for six months and i stop taking it but i had pretty regular before i took it but the one thing i didn't understand i had no pa nothing before i went on it and now i don't why i don't get my periods stop  and beofe that i got my period every time i need my depo-Provera shot and i wouldn't get my period anymore for 3 months and the same day for that too now i have nothing i can't get pregant i have been trying for years i haven't had my period for 4 years i'm 23 three so i was 18 almost 19 years when i stop i was 125 pounds now i'm 220 pounds i feel bad everyday i  feel tried i feel like **** no get up and go why can anyone tell me i need help please tell me what to do
Hello - I'm new to this site, so much info.  It's nice to know we aren't the only ones going thru all this!  

We've been really trying on and off for 5 years now.  I stopped having periods and don't ovulate on a regular basis.  Only time I do have a period is if I'm on birth control.  OBGYN would just take blood and give me a dose of Clomid to take.  We decided to aggressively try so made an appointment with a RE...  the best thing we've done.  I've only been seeing her for 2 months but she at least has a game plan.  I'm taking prometrium 200mg 2x a day and hopefully something will happen.  They also found that my thyroid was out of wack.  So taking meds for that too.  I have so much more energy.  

I would really look into seeing a RE about your periods.  Might be something easy to correct with some meds.  ??  

Wish you well !!!!

I haven't had my period in over 4 years... i took some birth contorl pills that i didnt know were birth control at the time and i bled for like 2 weeks straight and i have been scared to tell anyone and i went to the doctor today 4 years later and they said that i could have a tumor in my cervics and that could be a reason that im not having my period.. but i don't know what to do.. im only 17 years old and all this is to much to handle..
If you aren't getting a period than that means you aren't ovulating.  If you don't ovulate there's no release of an egg to get fertilized.  That means you can't have kids.  But it doesn't necessarily mean you're not fertile anymore.  You just may need some help with some kind of treatment in order to ovulate.  I would definitely go to the doctor and find out what's going on.  I would advise getting insurance some how though if you want kids because if you can't afford to go to the doctor you won't be able to afford being pregnant.  Good luck!
You may want to go to an RE like the other posters suggested and you could have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome) it causes your periods to become irregular and you should do some research on this and also have your Thyroid Checked.  Also see a doctor that's the most important, though you don't have any insurance a lot of  hospitals provide financial screenings and you may qualify for that, it's like in insurance with limitations, I have a friend that does that and when I was first out of college and not working and a little to old to be on my parents insurance, I went into our local hospital and applied for that and I could only see doctors within that hospital but it was ok for the time being, because I didn't have a job and I was fresh out of school and I needed to see a doctor. That program from what I understand is not a "wellfare" (did I spell that right?) but a state funded program that helps those like yourself that don't have insurance at the moment. Now there could be some other state or government funded programs out there that I am not aware of but that is just one that I know of, or also check out your local health clinics you may not be able to see and Reproductive Endocrinologist but at least someone can properly diagnose you and then you would know where to begin with this.

Good Luck, and at this stage have a positive outlook because it could be something that can be fixed with diet and excercise, a few pills here or there or 1 little switch of the old internal plumbing. Keep high spirits and more importantly try to see someone ASAP!!

GOOD LUCK AGAIN!
I haven't had a period in over 4 years (I am 24 now), I am on birthcontrol (Nur Insterate) could this be the reason why? or could it be due to something else . . . have asked  Drs numerous times and they all say everything is fine, however getting worried now as no period means no chance of concieving normally -

I know it can be expensive, but I would suggest trying acupuncture in addition to going to a  md who will listen to your concerns.  Perhaps there's an acupuncture school in your area, and treatments are reasonably priced through their clinic. I would also suggest researching your situation.  Perhaps you could get a reasonable appointment at Planned Parenthood.   You can order online labs without doctor's orders for a much more reasonable price that if ordered through a MD in a regular office.  

I'm certainly no expert, but had a friend in the same situation--amenorrhea for years at a young age.  She started eating soy, and started mentstuating again.  I"m not suggesting that for you, but research causes of amenorrhea  and see you other symptoms line up with certain conditions.   Also, I would make big lifestyle changes.  I'd eat very well, and exercise.  Try to pay attention to see if any foods are bothering you.  I cut out dairy and am amazed at my health improvements.  I was diagnosed with gluten intolerance, and my cycles improved a lot after cutting out gluten.

Good luck!
I am to going threw similar problems I got pregnant in 2005 and miscarried at 6 weeks and really haven't had a period since!! I am also stressing out trying to wonder if I will ever have the chance to be a mother:( I am 27 yrs old & I have been married for almost 7 years and really would like to have a family. I guess I have always been irregular but In Jan 05 to June 05 I did have regular periods strange huh? But at that point in my life I weighed 190 pounds and now I am almost 260 pounds!! I have a appointment A coming up to find out whats wrong with me and to see if they can put me on a medication that can bring my period back other than Birth Control. Keep the FAITH ladies I know first hand It is hard........
Hey Holley , Im Only 17 And I Know What You Are Going Thru . Im 17 Yeats Old Tooo And I Am Goinq Thru The Same Thinq ,,
hello I'm new to this site and its good to know that there are women in this world who experience the same ailments as you.
I just wanted to thank you for your advice, its very honest and to the point, you have helped me alot :)
I was having periods that were rather light and only for the best part of two days. Then we discovered during tests that due to anthrax shots my husband had become infertile. We had been given a 1in14 million chance of becoming pregnant. However, we were having the treatment paid for by the army and we had an option of who to be sent to and were treated be the top fertility consultant in the uk. It was actually him that found my husbands problem and our chances.
To add a double blow to it, during inspection he discovered I had polysystic ovaries.
So, we had to have ICSI. When the day before egg collection came and I had my scan to see how the eggs had come on , we were devastated to find that all the eggs on my left ovary had disappeared !!!! Just like that. BTW that ovary was the one that was polysystic and had had a whole load removed. My right one was pretty much untouched.
So, we had 3 embryos implanted and from the first try , ( which would have been the only try, we had a beautiful baby girl. However, at just over seven weeks into the pregnancy it was discovered that I was actually having twins ...... But we lost one at that point. Which the doctors said ," that shall resorb naturally into your body". Hmm

Now, 8 years on I have still not had a period. Not a drip. Also, I still lactate should my breasts get pressed. The other thing I can't understand is that I have severe groin area itching to almost dryness. I also have fibromyalgia.

Does anyone know what is the problem ? I'm 35 and also have severe migranes (migraines) which doctors have labelled as cluster tic migranes (migraines).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
I have not had periods for 4 years as well, and haven't been able to go to a doctor. I have been sick for about 2 months after I got a cold, and I feEl as though I haven't ggotten over the cold. Head is uncomfortable, neck/ shoulder feel like it's been pulled, nose stuffiness,jaw discomfort and all around just head dicomfort. I been to the ER about it all and i just want to feel better and i have no where else to turn. Im scared of the no periods and all im feeling like maybe the doc is not really trying or telling me the right things. I need help