I have been doing my first cycle of IUI with Follistim. I went to the R/E last Thursday & had an U/S & was told I had 5 follices and everything was looking good. I started my Follistim dosage at 100IU & the R/E said that I was responding good so we were going to leave the dosage alone. I went yesterday from another U/S and was told that I had 11 follicles and that my cycle would have to be cancelled because there was too many & I was at too high of a risk for mulitples. I only had 3 follicles that were 16.5 - 18mm the rest were all smaller (12 mm & below). I have a history of PCOS & I was wondering if there was a possibilty that some of the small follicles that were seen on the U/S could possibly by cyst from my PCOS & not really follicles. I have read that other people have numerous smaller follicles, but their R/E goes ahead with the trigger shot & IUI. Mine wouldn't though & I am really frustrated. Any feedback would be great! :)
I don't have PCOS so I'm not sure if that is related. My first cycle of Follistim was almost canceled b/c I had too many follies and my RE thought I was at high risk for multiples. My RE said that he only liked to see a max of 3 follies. I had a bunch of follies (at least 7) btn 10 and 12 when he gave me the trigger; he was only concerned about the "larger" follies. I ended up releasing 3 definitely and had a 30% chance of releasing each of 2 others. Did your RE say you had too many large follies - maybe 3 is too high of a number for him? How was your b/w?
My R/E said that I would be a perfect canidate for IVF this cycle (If I would have been on an IVF schedule) but since I was missing the other injection that they give for IVF, they wouldn't recommend that I switch to that because there would be a large chance that I wouldn't have any viable follicles when they went for retrevial. We aren't really wanting to go to IVF yet, one for the cost & two because I just don't want to if we don't have to. She also said that I would be a good canidate to be a donor (Like I really want to give my eggs to someone else!!) Since I am PCO I reacted to the Follistim too well. I have read more on it since Monday's cancelled cycle & everything I read, PCO patients respond much better to the Follistim then non-PCO patients. Since I had some many follicles close to 12, & they grow 1-2 a day, the R/E didn't want to risk it. B/W has been great the entire time, don't know Monday's results, because they cancelled it after the U/S so I wouldn't have to pay for unused services. The R/E said that since this is my first cycle, I shouldn't be disheartened, because at least I am producing follicles. She even told us not to have intercourse before my next period to avoid any chances. My husband thinks we shouldn't listen to the doctor & go ahead & give it a try. I know since I didn't get my trigger shot I may not ovulate, so there may not be a chance even if we try. I just don't know what to do anymore! :(
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.