Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IUI with Follistim - Too many follicles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IUI with Follistim - Too many follicles

I have been doing my first cycle of IUI with Follistim.  I went to the R/E last Thursday & had an U/S & was told I had 5 follices and everything was looking good.  I started my Follistim dosage at 100IU & the R/E said that I was responding good so we were going to leave the dosage alone.  I went yesterday from another U/S and was told that I had 11 follicles and that my cycle would have to be cancelled because there was too many & I was at too high of a risk for mulitples.  I only had 3 follicles that were 16.5 - 18mm the rest were all smaller (12 mm & below).  I have a history of PCOS & I was wondering if there was a possibilty that some of the small follicles that were seen on the U/S could possibly by cyst from my PCOS & not really follicles.  I have read that other people have numerous smaller follicles, but their R/E goes ahead with the trigger shot & IUI.  Mine wouldn't though & I am really frustrated.  Any feedback would be great! :)
Tags: PCOS, IUI
I don't have PCOS so I'm not sure if that is related. My first cycle of Follistim was almost canceled b/c I had too many follies and my RE thought I was at high risk for multiples. My RE said that he only liked to see a max of 3 follies. I had a bunch of follies (at least 7) btn 10 and 12 when he gave me the trigger; he was only concerned about the "larger" follies. I ended up releasing 3 definitely and had a 30% chance of releasing each of 2 others. Did your RE say you had too many large follies - maybe 3 is too high of a number for him? How was your b/w?
My R/E said that I would be a perfect canidate for IVF this cycle (If I would have been on an IVF schedule) but since I was missing the other injection that they give for IVF, they wouldn't recommend that I switch to that because there would be a large chance that I wouldn't have any viable follicles when they went for retrevial.  We aren't really wanting to go to IVF yet, one for the cost & two because I just don't want to if we don't have to. She also said that I would be a good canidate to be a donor (Like I really want to give my eggs to someone else!!)  Since I am PCO I reacted to the Follistim too well.  I have read more on it since Monday's cancelled cycle & everything I read, PCO patients respond much better to the Follistim then non-PCO patients.  Since I had some many follicles close to 12, & they grow 1-2 a day, the R/E didn't want to risk it.  B/W has been great the entire time, don't know Monday's results, because they cancelled it after the U/S so I wouldn't have to pay for unused services.  The R/E said that since this is my first cycle, I shouldn't be disheartened, because at least I am producing follicles.  She even told us not to have intercourse before my next period to avoid any chances.  My husband thinks we shouldn't listen to the doctor & go ahead & give it a try.  I know since I didn't get my trigger shot I may not ovulate, so there may not be a chance even if we try.  I just don't know what to do anymore! :(
I was in the same situation... After 4 frustrating iuis, I did an ivf and it worked! Women like us are perfect candidates for ivf :)