Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF - First Time - Relaxation?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

IVF - First Time - Relaxation?

Hi Ladies - I will be going for IVF the first time this year.  I am really scared of it not working and generally nervous about this.  As many, we have tried different things in the past that have not worked - IUI-Clomid, Injectibles and had a lap with endo & cycst.

Are there any suggestions on what you have done to relax?... i am scared and a nervous reck :)
I have not personally gone thru IVF yet, but wanted to wish you lots and lots of luck, super sticky baby dust and prayers!!!! Relaxation is always a good idea.. I have heard wonderful things about Yoga (tried it myself, but have such a crazy schedule i miss the classes half of the time!) but it can't hurt! : )
That is very exciting because the success rates for IVF are really good!  We also tried many things before moving to IVF and we got our BFP on our first attempt in December.  I wish the same for you!

A couple of things that helped me: Take time off work.  Your dates can shift so you don't want to have to try and schedule and reshedule.  I just took a whole week off.  
Keep busy.  I carried on with my life as normal and I was super anxious about it so keeping my mind off of it due to distractions helped!  Lots of walking and healthy low key quality time with dh was nice.  Plan on taking a few days of rest after your transfer.  I ensured that I had 2 days of bed rest and I think it really helped.  It was peaceful and relaxing....and a bit boring :)

Just know that the procedures can be invasive, but not painful.  I would also recommend ICSI and assisted hatching to increase your chances.

All the best and lots of luck!
Stacey
IVF is just not a relaxing process to go through.  I tried to work my normal hours just to keep my mind off of it.  Lots of ladies like accupuncture for relaxation.  It may not help you to get bfp but it will help you relax.
Good luck!!
Yes, accupuncture is suppossed to be very good and relaxing with IVF.  I also bought a DVD from the net.  It was a Zita West one and it had a number of relaxation tracks to be played at different times, eg before egg retrieval, after etc.  It was also suppossed to help with positive thinking.  Unfortunately I had none fertilise so didn't get to egg transfer, but I did find it relaxing.  Good luck with it..
Accupuncture really helps. I felt the difference since the first treatment. I also bought relaxation tapes, fertility yoga but did not have any interest in watching them. But I did watch lots of comedy on TV and movies. I also spent lots of time just sitting outside in the sun and shade just letting my thoughts wonder about nature and also just looked at the sky trying to make out shapes in the clouds.

At first it was really hard not to think about what I went thru, and what is happening now and what will happen if I get pg or of I dont. I tried my best to keep my mind off those points but no matter how hard I tried they came in mind. So when that happened I would start thinking about something else.

Always try to have a happy thought in mind, talk about happy moments. I am from an Islands so I used to also picture the ocean which I could see from my house.

Good luck
I went through my first IVF cycle over the summer of last year. I was terrified about DH having to give me injections and how my body was going to react. Also, the retreival was going to be my first time being put to sleep.

It helped that I was already in weekly therapy. My therapist suggested that I find a good meditation cd. I found free downloads on Itunes. I like Meditation Oasis the best. It was very relaxing. I tried to listen to it once a day. The sessions ranged in time from 5min to 30 min and had all kinds of topics.

The shots ended up being easier than I thought and after a few days I was used to it. And the retreival ended up being the best sleep I ever had!

We were successful on our first cycle and are now expecting twins in April of this year. If you trust you RE or clinic you should be just fine. Do a bit of your own research and ask tons of questions when you can. What kind of cycle are you going to do?
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers