Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF- Egg Retrieval Painful?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF- Egg Retrieval Painful?

This is my first IVF cycle, and I'm having my egg retieval on Friday.....does it hurt?  I think I'm pretty tough, but I just watched an egg retieval video on youtube (dumb, I know) and I got a little nervous.

well it looks  like i found someone to go through this w/..i am also having my retrieval on friday..i have talked w/ several friends about the pain and they have assured me it is discomfort and not pain..still nervous as well..just happy that the mixing of all the meds are over..my poor stomach is tired if being a poked!!..how many follicules do you have?? i only have 6 w/ 2 more that we hope will make it to 15...the best of luck to you!! lots of baby dust
No, it is not painful, you will be a little sore though and that is all.  How many follies do you have?  Good luck to you-lots of hugs!
I'm going into the Dr today to see how many follicules I have....I think I have around 8 or 10.
My tummy's been in knots all day everyday!  I'm just so nervous, anxious, excited...
I wasn't planning on doing IVF.....we were in the process of IUI when my Dr strongly suggested switching to IVF..and that was on Friday!  So we kind of got thrown into it.  I think that's why I'm feeling overwhemled.  
Thanks for the words of encouragement.  I feel better talking to people that have been where I'm at.  :)
Hi Steph,

I just had retrieval 01/26, This is our first cycle of IVF. I think for everyone retrieval is different. What I would suggest is if you have a low pain tolerance that you let them know that so when you ask for more meds they listen to you. My experience was very unique is how I will explain it! I wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted please :)
Well out of the 20 eggs they took on Tuesday, as of now 10 are fertilized :)
Hopefuly that number won't go down too low by Sunday (transfer day)
I can't believe how much pain I'm in.  Aside from a huge belly, I have horrible cramps.  I haven't been to work in three days, I think I'm going to try going in tomorrow.  
Now, how to hide this big tummy at work tomorrow.........
We had 10 eggs retrieved and 10 fertilized. By transfer day we had 4, grades 1 3 4 & 5 ready to transfer then. We transferred 3 & waited for the others to reach grades 1 or 2 as they will only do freeze them at that quality. So we have 3 frozen also. 6 out of 10 isn't bad. I go for my BETA today but I am sure it will be negative as I statred to bleed on Wednesday. The clinic says many pregnant women bleed alot and not to give up hope. I am optimistic but realistic too. I wish you the best of luck. The cramping is a good sign. Don't worry about the tummy......its normal. It will take a while for it to go away but if your pregnant then its only going to get bigger :). Please keep us posted!

Sticky baby dust!
Well, we were not able to do the transfer...I hyperstimulated and was in horrific pain.  Today was the first day in a week and a half that I actually felt ok...it's been rough.
We had to end up freezing all the embryos because I was just too ill.  Very disapointing, but my Dr wanted me to heal, so we'll hopefully be doing the transfer in about a month. *ugh*

How did your test go??  
Hi there i just had egg collection yesterday. This is my 2nd IVF and they collected 5 eggs. You might just feel a little pinch but your under general anesthetic in which you are awake and as my doctor would prefer to say "Champaigne" The picnch is only when they go through the uterus, but after the process you may have mild cramping, but dont worry its okay.
Oh no, but at least you are able to freeze them until you get better. You need your strength as the 2 weeks after embryo transfer takes a toll emotionally if you let it. Best of luck to you though, im just hoping that my 2 eggs will still be fertilising by day 3, but you will be fine with egg collection everyone feels differently just try not to worry and i hope you get better reeeeeeeeeel soon.
Hello everyone,

Well we are on our journey once again. We did a blastocyst transfer on Monday May 17th. The doctor doing the tranfer was so positive about the proceedure and gave us alot of hope. Here I am 5 days later and after a couple days of sharp twinges on my left side I am feeling crampy as if AF is coming. Kinda worried..........anyone have advise?
Don't worry; it's normal after the procedure and with the concoction of drugs you're probably taking. I was cramping after my transfer too, was terribly bloated and ended up with a BFP! Best wishes :)
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers