Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF Transfer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF Transfer

Hello, I am 39 years old and just did my first IVF transfer on November 5, today is November 13, 2011. Prior to the IVF I did an IUI which did not work. I am so scared because I am getting cramps like my period is about to come. I am taking progesterone and estradiol. I have always gotten cramps before my period and know my body really good. The last time I had the IUI, I started getting the cramps and knew it was my period and it did come. We decided to do the IVF then. I go for my blood test on Tuesday Nov 15. I am hoping I am wrong with these cramps. Is this ok to get these cramps? They started yesterday and lasted all night, today it's still there. I am also new to this site.
Hi nelly and welcome! Firstly, I would like to say there are tons of support groups on here for IVF and IUI and I don't think I could have gone through IVF without these wonderful women! Check them out!
Secondly, kudos to you for taking that IVF step. I know how hard it can be!
(more on our story at: www. ****. wordpress . com)

Thirdly, I so thought the same thing! You think you know your body but you just never know! I had terribly bad lower back cramps and uterine cramps. I swore my period was right around the corner, but I was so wrong! I am now almost 13 weeks pregnant with barely any of the "typical" pregnancy symptoms. So best of luck to you and try to hold on until your blood test! I know, easier said than done, but it does happen!!!
Hey,
Just wanted to say im totally with you, I had my transfer too on nov 5th we had a 3 day transfer with a  8cell emby and a 9cell, I have to wait until the 22nd take a HPT then ring the clinic with the result, i too havnt had any pregnancy symptoms infact im feeling a little deflated at the mo, Iv just had cramps and sore boobs, My AF would have been due on the 15th im tempted 2 test but sooo scared of seeing that NOT pregnant :( This is our first go at IVF. Hoping your well and im here if you want to chat, wishing you luck for your blood test tues! SSBD
I too can relate. I had cramps after my transfer as well that lasted a few days. I think you'll see from other responses that it's pretty normal and I've seen this same question come up on other boards out there :) I also didn't have any of the typical pregnancy symptoms either (no sore bbs, etc.) I felt like a million dollars until week 8 and then it was all downhill till week 13! Try not to worry too much (I know, easier said than done). Good luck! I think you will find that the ladies are very helpful on this forum.
Hi and welcome!  Having cramps after an IVF transfer is perfectly normal and can be happening for numerous different reasons.  I, like you, thought I knew my body so well.  Everything "ran" like clockwork, but when it comes to IVF things can be deceiving.  The drugs we take during the various stages arting or a pregnancy.  We've done three rounds of IVF and I've had cramps with all three.  The first two turned out to be BFNs, but the third (a FET) turned out to be a BFP.  I had the least amount of symptoms with this last round too.  

@Jennie1211...thanks for the info on symptoms during your pregnancy.  I'm 5 wks 3 days now and the only symptoms I'm having are chronic fatigue and bloating.  It's good to know that not everyone has a ton of symptoms right away.  Although I would be ok if the morning sickness skipped me...lol.
Sorry I meant the above to say that the drugs we take during IVF can cause our bodies to feel like we are about to start our cycles.  It can make things really confusing.
Hi ladies,
Well i was way 2 tempted and did a HPT today and was negative im now 10days past transfer so doesnt look like its happeneing for me :-( Im suppost to test the 22nd and ring the clinic i wont be testing now until that day but i already know the answer. Feeling really emotional today :-( Hope you ladies are well.
Hoping2bamom- Congrats on the BFP girl, What day did u get bfp?Did u have bloods or HPT?
Nelly-hoping your blood test goes well :-) will be looking out for your update.
Hey Amy...I'm so sorry about the negative. I know all too well how disappointing that is.  Are you going to try another round of IVF?

I only did an HPT during my first IVF round and it was negative and the beta ended up being negative as well.  After that I decided I would just wait for the beta blood test.  This last round we did a FET on Oct 25 and I took my first beta on Nov 3 and it was 72.  Since there was a weekend coming up, they had me wait until Monday Nov 7 to do the second beta.  They wanted the numbers to double twice in that time frame and they did a little better and were at 346.  So now I have my first u/s on Nov 23.  
I just read your post again, and I don't think you should give up hope just yet.  Did you do a 3day or 5day transfer?  The 22nd is a full week away, so it could be that you tested too early for an HPT to pick up a positive especially if your numbers are lower.  My prayers are with you that will get your BFP.