Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF and ICSI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF and ICSI

I was just wondering, from reading on here it seems alot of women get their embies to blasts when they do ICSI.
We didnt need/use ICSI as we dont have a male fertility issue. Does anyone know if this has anything to do with the embies getting to Blasts? I had 11 ooctyes retrieved 8 fertilized and 7 made it. of the 7 on day 3 we only had 2 great quality embies to transfer a 8BF, and a 7BF...At the time I was so pleased since I wanted 2embies transferred and RE agreed to do 2 only if we did a day 3 transfer. Now I know blasts have a better chance of implanting. Just thinking maybe we should pay out of pocket for ICSI if it would help get them to blasts.
But Im thinking its the egg quality not really the semen.....ANy input?
I had 14 eggs retrieved, 12 were mature, 8 fertilized normally (1 fertilized abnormally) - all without ICSI, 5 were 8 cell on 3d and 3 were 6 cell on day 3, 2 made it to blast by day 5, a 3rd made it to blast by day 6. The other 5 had significantly slowed down in their development and did not make it to blast. I had 2 implanted and I am pg with twins. I froze the other blast.

From what my RE told me I think if you needed ICSI then you would not have had so many oocytes fertilize. I have a friend whose fertility problem was male factor infertility. She had no problems at all - produced lots of eggs, with ICSI most fertilized, etc. She got BFN the first 3 ivf's - each time 2 great quality embies were transferred. The 4th time she transferred 1 great quality embie (the RE was afraid she would develop OHSS b/c they retrieved so many eggs) and she got pg. Sometimes for no reason, it doesn't work right away. Good luck. I hope 3rd time is the charm for you.  
we did ICSI and did a 3 day transfer since we only had 3 make it that far.
39+ weeks pregnant with one stubborn baby girl
My RE automatically does ICSI unless you specifically request not to. When we talked about this, he explained it simply increases fertilization. My husband did not have any issues but my issues were "unexplained" so we were willing to do whatever the RE suggested in hopes of finding success on our first IVF round. 10 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized. 8 made it to day 5. We transferred 2 and froze the rest. I'm now 31 weeks pregnant and plan to do a FET next year at some point.