Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF cycle and antibiotics - problems?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

IVF cycle and antibiotics - problems?

A little worried...I'm starting my IVF cycle and medications to grow my follicles this Thursday coming, and I've just acquired a urinary tract infection!!(Sunday). Does anybody know if it is problematic to take an antibiotic a couple of days before and during the first couple of days, of my stimulation drugs? I'm terrified in case there's some way it might interfere with my cycle.
Please let me know what you think.
Thank you!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello there,
If you are having a urinary tract infection it is important to treat it. Untreated UTI can lead to complications and can affect the development of embryo. Antibiotics which are safe for the fetus are prescribed during this time. If you are anxious it is best to discuss it with your attending doctor. Any medication is usually prescribed if the benefits outweigh the risks. I sincerely hope it helps. Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Hi Dr Sharma,
I was prescribed Curam Duo (Amoxycillin and clavulanic acid) by my GP. I did try to talk to the fertility doctor about if she had any ideas about what is safest while I'm on Gonal F and Luveris but she wasn't available and the IVF nurses said to just get a good antibiotic, get it treated and cleared up just making sure it is gone before Egg pick up.
I really want to know if there are any interactions between antibiotics and GonalF/Luveris
Angee82