Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF treatment and Selective Reduction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF treatment and Selective Reduction

We are ready to enter the next stage in trying to conceive and this is going to be IVF.  The doctors were telling us about having a chance to have several successful takes, but what their concern is that I have diabetes and it might not be good for me to carry so many babies if this occurs.  I am really confused about this process and almost heart broken at the same time.  It's been a long road for us with this.
A couple of questions--how old are you, and couldn't they just implant one really good grade AA embryo if they are so concerned about multiples? The chances of it splitting are pretty slim. Try not to be heartbroken--it's still very early in the game to worry about this yet, in my opinion :) I feel you, though...it's been a long road for me, too. I did IVF in July. It's a lot to go through, but honestly, you get used to it. Finding a really good connection to someone on a forum who you can talk with is also extremely helpful. I know it really helped me :) Good luck to you, and try not to worry about this possibility yet.
They should not put in more than two embryos on any given try, to reduce the chance for needing a selective reduction.  I went for single embryo transfers on my last try because we didn't want multiples.  Then you don't have the grief and worry of the possibility of needing to do a reduction.

it is perfectly possible to have a healthy pregnancy (even twins) with diabetes.  It will take a lot of work and effort, but definitely possible and worth it.

Second is that they shouldn't put in more than 2 embryos.  That definitely reduces the chances of multiples.

Don't give up.  YOu have options!  If things are approached the right way you could have your own baby soon.
Wow thank you so much there is so much I still don't know and all of you answered some of the key concerns I have and misconceptions too.  I guess when they were talking to me about it and mentioning multiples I was thinking beyond the number of two, now it's sounding more manageable and like we really do have some options and ways to work around this.

Thanks so much for the kind words, it helps so much to know that others are dealing with the same issues and struggles. I'm certainly willing to go through anything to get pregnant.