Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
IVF with Acupuncture?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

IVF with Acupuncture?

After 7 failed IUI and 2 IVF cycles ending in miscarriage, my RE is talking about this next IVF using frozen embryos. My eggs and DH sperm frozen of course, so after retrieval I will wait about 2 months before transfer, in which time I will be placed on some extra progesterone and estrogen products and RE is also recommending acupunture treatments. I'm wondering if anyone has had heartbreak with IVF cycles and then tried acupunture with success?

Also, do any of you have any other ideas to share that worked for you?

Thanks ladies!
We were successful on our first round of IVF.  Almost 9 weeks! :) I started with accupuncture approximately 10 days before starting injections and used it right up until retrieval.  Many people also use it the day of transfer but I was feeling good and figured I was going to try it alone from there on out.  My accupunturist specialized in fertility issues and was really great!  She also recommended I use Totaly Fertility as my pre-natal vitamins.  It's supposed to have super antioxidant agents.  You double up on them during your IVF cycles and then go back down to three times a day throughout the pregnancy.  So, to sum it up, I had an amazing RE, accupunture, total fertility, and lots and lots of prayers!  I also took some time off of work and have really been laying low!  I'm so afraid to ramp up my acitiivty until I get a little further along.  Anyway, I hope you find some of this helpful.    We have truly been blessed!  Good Luck!  
Thank you for responding! I've been doing some reading on line today about acupuncture and think I'm going to go ahead with it.  Since I just miscarried and stopped my PIO and progesterone suppositories a week ago, I have a couple of weeks before I get my period. Once I get it, I'm calling to make my appointment to start the next round. RE said it's fine to go ahead with another stim cycle now once I get my period since we are going to freeze the embryos we get and then take a couple of months off before going through with the transfer. I figured when I do get my period and go in for my 1st suppression check (which is like day 2 or 3) I can talk to him more about who he recommends as far as an acupuncturist and how often and what not. I figured since the last 2 cycles ended in miscarriage, it's time to do something different and RE seems to be excited (if that's a good word) about adding acupuncture to my regime of meds and stuff.  So we'll have to see.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!
I did two treatments the day of transfer. One 30 minutes prior and one immediately after. Since this is my first IVF and blood work is Friday, I can't say if acupuncture had anything to do with it, but I've been getting BFPs at home all week.

I will share that a friend had 2 failed IVFs. On the third, the only thing changed was acupuncture and she had success.

I spoke to my doc and he actually encouraged me. I've also read quite a few studies and they all say acupuncture can increase chances by about 40%. My doc wouldn't confirm that and made no promises obviously but did say many of his patients have found success with acupuncture.

Hope that's helpful.
i did acupuncture witha fertilty specialist and we got pregnant with our first IVF (i am 12 weeks 4 days)
if nothing else, it was incredibly relaxing to do acupuncture before and after the trasnfer :)
Totally agree with you. If nothing else, I was incredibly relaxed even before I took the Valium, and it was more thing I could actually do.  Congrats to you on 12 weeks (and 4 days!!)! Hoping I get happy news on Friday!
You said you started approximately 10 days before starting injections and used it right up until retrieval--do you mean every day or once a week or what?
Thanks!
I think I'm actually going to do acupuncture with this next cycle.  My RE is in favor of it and it can't hurt me, right?  How did you do it right before and after the transfer? Did your acupuncturist work in the same office as your RE? These are the legistics that I have to investigate and work out.  Right now I'm anxiously awaiting my period so I can get moving on the stim meds and retrieval. I was hoping to be able to do this cycle of retrieval before DH and I leave on vaca at the beginning of August. We are due to leave on a plane on 8/8 and RE said his next batched IVF cycle will be around 8/4. So I'm hoping to be able to make it for then.

Hi Foxylady,

I happen to come across this thread and wanted to give you a little more info about using accupuncturist.  I am located in singapore, and chinese medicine is very highly regarded here.

I had a friend who had two failed IVF's and did accupuncture on her third one and now has a beautiful baby girl.

I am presently going to accupuncturist as well, she has a lot of experience with ivf /fertility accupuncture.  She recommends that you start the right after the menstruation ends before your IVF cycle, this gives you about two weeks prior to next cycle, i went once a week during this time and the week of retrieval i went once the day before retrieval which was on a saturday.

We went to 5 day blastocyst, so the week they put embryo's back i went to see her three times because they put embies back on a thurst , i had one hour session on monday, and two hours on day they put back, one hr the morning before retrieval and three hours after retrieval because i wanted to rest at the hospital without moving after transfer.  my accupuncturist is at a different hospital so i took a taxi to see her she is only 15mins away from other hospital.  Ideally if you can have your accupuncturist go to the hospital its easier but if you have to travel to her it should be ok.

After they put embies back in me i went home and did bed rest for 3 days and back to accupuncturist on following monday and last session was today thurs.  I do my BETA on tues.  She said its not necessary for me to come back til after i find out if i am pregnant at which time i will continue with pregancy accupuncture.

My accupuncturist has assisted many women doing IVF which failed and now successful with accupuncture plus more holistic way of eating..

I'd say it'll probably be about 5-8 accupuncture sessions to do a complete course.  at the very minimum do 5 sessions, one session day before retrieval, two to three sessions week they put embies back, and two sessions during your TWW.

If you cant do IVF session morning of IVF because IVF is scheduled early have it the day before and then have it after the IVF on the day of IVF.

Hope this helps.

Yes, my acupuncturist is in the same facility. I was in her relaxation room for the treatment before and she came to my waiting room immediately after my transfer. I could how logistics would be difficult outside of the same building but I was lucky, I guess.
Thanks ladies for your input!