Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
If you get your period does that mean you are for sure ovulating?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

If you get your period does that mean you are for sure ovulating?  Or can you get your periods & not ovulate??  Is there a way to know if you have ovulated?  Thanks
Hey, i have my AF every month and know for a fact i am not ovulating every month. I have been told by my specialist to not use the test kits cause they where saying i was ovulating and i wasn't, due to my pcos it seems it was giving off a false positive. Alot of people use them and there is such conflicting stories i still don't know what to believe. I now go for blood tests to make sure i am ovulating.
Please if anyone knows the answer I would greatly appreciate it, thanks
Having a period does not necessarily mean that ovulation has taken place. Some women may have what is called an anovulatory cycle, (meaning no ovulation) and can experience some bleeding which is mistaken for a period, but it is actually not a true period. This bleeding is caused by either a buildup in the uterine lining that can no longer sustain itself or by an estrogen level drop. I have very irregular periods, and my gyno started testeing me via bloodwork on day 3 of my cycle. The results were touch and go, some months I did ovulate and some I didn't. A simple blood test between day 1 and day 5 of your cycle will determine the prescence or abscence of a certain hormone. You can read more about it here   http://www.*********.com/articles/anovulation.html
hope that helps!
Thanks very much for the reply, can you send that link again??  I think you need to separate each word so it lets me see it, cause this site wont let you post links I believe.  
What if you are doing OPK's and you get a positive, does that mean you are for sure ovulating??
I tried to look it up but I can't get a straight answer. Anyone know?? thanks!