Implantation bleeding or breakthrough bleeding?
I have been on birth control for about 4 months now but I started taking prednisone (a steroid) a week and a half ago for an allergic reaction. It says on the bottle this medication could cause birth control to be ineffective. I had unprotected sex about 9 days ago, around the time i was ovulating. I started getting very small amounts of brown discharge and cramps. I've had it for about 3-4 days. I also get headaches at night and nausea. I'm not supposed to get my period for another week. Is there a chance this is implantation bleeding or is it just breakthrough bleeding from the birth control? Could I be pregnant?
Intake of steroids along with birth control pills may make these pills ineffective .They interact with the estrogen in combination pills and can make the pill less effective. It is recommended to use a backup method of birth control while taking steroids and for a week afterward. Birth control pills can increase the risk of side effects from steroids. It may be difficult to confirm the exact cause of your brown discharge and cramps without a clinical examination. Brown discharge often indicates residual old blood. Few women may experience colored discharge during their ovulation period. Sexually transmitted diseases like Chlamydia and gonorrhea can also cause these symptoms. Pelvic inflammatory disease is another possibility. Early diagnosis and treatment can help. Keep me posted.
Best luck and take care!