Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Infertility coverage insurance?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Infertility coverage insurance?

I'm being wondering; Is there any insurance that will cover some infertility treatments?  I'm being trying to get pregnant for about 6yrs. I started a treatment like on 4 different ocassions but later on I have to leave it because the prices are too high.  And honestly I can't afford it. This situation makes me very frustrated because after 6yrs I know I will need treatment to get pregnant.  I'm also desperate for I'm 35yrs old. And I know that at that age the fertility starts "going down". I have medical insurance but it doesn't cover any infertility treatment at all.  Any advice will be helpful.
Hi, not sure how helpful this is but my insurance Blue Cross of Alabama (but I live in New Hampshire) covers nothing. I was so upset when I found out as I called the doctor and they told me it was not that expensive. Well, I just got a letter saying it was appr. 1600.00 for one cyle of clomid with iui. I started crying. However, my husband works in Massachusetts and it is a state mandate that they have to pay if the company is under a mass insurnace. Well, call them (harvard of mass) and they pay 100 percent. Also, they pay of IVF which blew my mind. So, we are starting IUI this month out of our own pocket. If it does not work we will wait until January. I may feel differently once I start but I agree with you it so depressing and awful that insurance companies do not pay. Have you taken clomid? That might be a good way to start and not have to pay much for it. I don't know how much it is but the price goes up with the ultrasounds, hcg, etc. Good luck! You should check to see if any states near you have a mandate. Perhaps you can try to get a part time job with their insurance.

thanks:
I live in FL. and I don't think so it is a state mandated to provide coverage, well I really don't know.  Anyways I did try clomid for 1mo only and then I did an AI but nothing. Only once I got pregnant, but guess what MC. (that was 3yrs ago).  Then I started again going to the Dr. but I couldn'd afford any more visits. The 1st visit was 250.00 just for him to tell me that he was gonna check my DH first.  Then it was 150.00 for the rest of the visits without the treatments.  I being thinking of calling the insurance company to see if they can do something even if I have to pay a little more but I really don't know if they will do it because my insurance (cigna) is with the state (I'm a teacher).  If anybody else have another advise...

Anyways, Thank you :(
I live in New Jersey and my husband works for the state and we have aetna (which I believe is based out of Texas) and they pay for some stuff.  I'm pretty new to all of this so I only know what they cover as I go through the phases because I have to get clearance through the fertility section of aetna at each phase.
I have heard that clomid works!!! try to give that a shot!. There is a new forum here for 35+ trying to conceive, keep an eye on that as someone may post who has been in your sitiation. I have heard of some organizations that will assist you in the fees, but there is a waiting list .. try google I can t remember the names, if I do I will post it. Good luck to you ,as I am 38 and just had my tubes reversed , because we could not afford invitro.. we still paid 7K for the reversal, we get to start trying in about 2 weeks! Good luck to you. Keep us posted

Kelly~

i live in ny and have hip thur my DH. they didnt pay ivf only the iui. what i didnt know was that my DH has supplemental ins Ghi and they paid for 80% of everything for up to 3 tries. we had to pay $2900.00 out of pocket for the freezing of the sperm, eggs, etc. what i would suggest is to look into getting other ins thur ur DH or maybe at ur job. i was considering OXford thur my job because they were offering the coverage for IVf. the reason we didnt do IUI my DH had a vasectomy years ago. we did the reversal but it didnt work so we have no choice but to do the IVF_ICSI. i would look into getting other ins that has the cov and has no pre-existing condition waiting period. it will be much cheaper to pay the premium on that than the cost of the IVF. which my clinic told me it would be $14,000.00 including the meds. i was able to get all my meds thur my rx plan but it was a fight to get the menopur. the rest of the drugs no problem. it was also a fight to get the ivf approved. but the ladies in the billing dept at my clininc were awesome!! i know this is alot i just said. but it can be very expensive especially if it doesnt work the first time. Good luck!!
thank you so much for all your comments:

I really appreciated it, well "aslchick" I don't understand how come you have Cigna and it covers "everything" I would like to know more about that.  Maybe it's my job that doesn't want to pay for it, I don't know.  And "Kelly" this thursday I have an appt. with my Dr. and I'm going to ask him about trying clomid again.  But I don't thing I have a problem with my OV since I'm very regular (28 C#) and I usually know when I'm OV.  And about that forum for women over 35 where is it?

I live in New York. My DH works for the state, We have the Empire Plan. It covers everything. I have had all kinds of blood work,hsg,and now going onto my 2nd iui. I have a $50,000 lifetime max, but all the bloodwork and hsg have not been considered part of my lifetime max.
Hi .... not sure if it will help to know this, but I have Cigna and they pay 100% of everything up to $20,000 (lifetime limit)...I only pay co-pays and such!
Try to find a position working for Citigroup, CitiFinancial or Chase. All their employee's receive infertility coverage that includes all the way up to donor treatment. Meds are covered in full. It is awesome place to work.
I have blue cross blue shield federal.  They don't cover ivf or iui but it did cover all my RE appointments, meds and ultrasounds.  With all of that covered, the iui itself was $300 each.  

If your insurance will not cover any of it.  I would recommend taking out a lone against your 401k or a bank and just going directly to IVF.  It is the most expensive, but it gives you the best chances.  If you do all the iui before hand, you might get pg but it might just chip away at your $$.  I know this isn't an ideal option, but if there is no other way, I think it would be worth it.  

Good luck to you!!
weve tried the other agencies with financial help but my credit isnt good enough isnt there any insurance companies that cover it