Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Is infertility hereditary?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Is infertility hereditary?

Hi ladies! I just have a quick question. Do any of you know if infertility is possibly hereditary?  My DH and I have been ttc 2-1/2 yrs with no luck at all. We have both had all the test done and everything comes back normal. So I have what they as "unexplained infertility". Not really what I wanted to hear. The only thing I haven't had done is to check and see if I have endo, which my RE told me that if we chose to go thru IVF, it would be better to put my money towards the IVF instead of seeing if I have endo, saying that I would be able to get preggo thru IVF even if I have endo.  Well, my biological dad was never in the picture when I was growing up. I have currently been trying to get to know his family and I visited them over the weekend and one of my aunts, my dads sister, said that she had a really hard time getting pregnant and she had endo. I am just curious to see if anyone knows if it could be hereditary?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again ladies!
I doubt that infertility is inherited.  Of course I'm not an expert, but if it were, you (being a genearl statement) wouldn't have any decesdents.  Know what I mean?    You wouldn't be here.   Take a look at siblings, for examples, one will have fertility problems and the other one gets pregnant at the drop of a hat.  

On the other hand, I am hoping that fertility is inherited.   My aunt, great-grandma's and great great grandmothers were popping out babies in their 40s. My aunt had 11 or 12 kids (being the good Catholic that she is! LOL!).
I'm guessing that it's not.  My mom easily had us 5 daughters...all of my sisters EASILY had kids w/out miscarriages...however I have been ttc for almost two years and in that time I've had two miscarriages and I'm only 30.  I do have one 3 year old daughter...we'd like to have two children.
I too dont think it is.....at least fertility isnt....My mom one of four, had 4 girls....and my sisters all spit babies out like old gum LOL....and then there is me ;O(
best of luck to you and super sticky baby dust
endo can be hereditary
From what I know, infertiltiy is not heredity, but some of the things that cause it can be.  Endo tends to run in the family, PCOS as well.  Both my mother and I have tipped uteruses.  Most of the time, though, it is a combination of factors that make us infertile.  Sometimes it has no hereditary link at all.  Every woman is different.  My mother got pregnant (twice) while using condoms and spermicide.  If only it were that easy for me.  lol.