Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Is it normal for progesterone levels to drop?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

I had an FET on October 7th and am waiting for the u/s on Nov 4th.  In the meantime, I've had 3 progesterone level checks and I'm freaking out today because my levels yesterday went down to 22 from 35.  I'm already taking 3 progesterone suppositories (endomedium) daily.  Is this drop in progesterone an indication I'm likely to miscarry???  Or could this be normal fluctuation?  I thought progesterone was supposed to continue increasing.  Has anyone else had this big of a drop in progesterone and still had a healthy baby??

THANKS!  Am sooo upset:(
My dr said it's ok for levels to fluctuate but if they go below a certain point (I think it was 30), he would switch me to progesterone shots...
Good luck, I hope everything is ok
The reason my dr said he'd switch me to the shots is because they are usually absorbed better, which is important esp at my age (40).
This time around he started my on the shots right away (I had a transfer done Thursday).
Thanks for responding.  I don't know why my nurse didn't say to do anything different.  But I guess I'm more worried why they went DOWN so much.  Does that mean my body is preparing to miscarry because something is wrong with the embryo?  Your dr said it's normal to fluctuate but I wonder by how much.  Ugh, I hate this:(
When I was pg from iui my prog dropped from 30something to 17. I was taking crinone once a day and my RE did not change anything. I delivered a healthy baby boy.
That's just what I needed to hear..thank you!!  I am still sooooo incredibly worried, but hopefully it's all for nothing!!  Oh, do you remember whether you doctor thought it was a little worrisome that your level dropped or if he thought it was normal?
my RE does not even bother to check progesterone levels because she says they are useless.
i was on the suppositories until 10 weeks of pregnancy.
RELAX miss stress monkey :) the stress is not good for you or the baby...
I was worried; my RE was not. I can't remember the number, but I think it was around 10. He said as long as it is above the no. it was fine. The 17 was my last measurement (they had steadily decreased btn the 1st and the 4th). I had an u/s, saw the h/b, and my RE released me to a "regular" OB. Mention it to your RE - it will make you feel better - and see if he prescribes additional prog support or says that it is okay.
THANKS!!!!!  I'm feeling better this evening.  Going to get off the internet, cuddle up with my dh now and relax, and think good thoughts!:)
My RE doesn't check progesterone either. I am on pio shots since three days before the transfer. Stress is not good now. You have crossed the major hurdle. Enjoy rest of the pregnancy.
Thanks, Maria!  What are pio shots?  
Progesterone in oil.
I am not on any progesterone replacement and my pregesterone went from 29 to 21 in one week. My OB is not worried but we are rechecking nov 8th. She said if it drops below 20 Ill start suppositories. This is my 3rd pregnancy and my first 2 resulted in miscarriage early on and I have not gotten a lot of testing as to why its happening. Obviously I am worried and would love to hear positive experiences with progesterone drop and good outcome.
I hope the 8th is good news!  But if it's dropped, it's nice to know you can start the suppositories..they've enabled plenty of people, including one of my best friends, to stay pregnant!  Mine had gone from 35 to 22.  They didn't change anything and now it's gone up to 29.  Since I saw the heartbeat today and the level is good, they told me to reduce my suppositories from 3/day to 2/day.
congrats on the heartbeat. I hope I get to see one on nov 18th (thats my ultrsound day) and i hope i get good news nov 8th.  why were you on suppositotires to begin with?
Thanks!  My RE put me on suppositories after the frozen embryo transfer.  My progesterone levels have always been fine (with my previous pregnancies - m/c and dd) but my doctor does it for everyone who does a FET, as a precautionary.

Good luck on the 8th AND the 18th!!!!!
good news so far. progesterone today 25 and hcg 13000.....
Wow that's great news!!!  Huge hcg!!  Congrats.
now i wait for my ultrasound nov 18th and another progesterone the 15th.  its the waiting part that is hard.
how far are you?
Yes, the waiting part is SO hard (and the worrying part, as least for me..everything is a reason to worry!).

I think I'm 7 weeks today.  I'm going for my first official pregnancy appointment with my OB on Friday.  How far along are you?
I am 5 weeks and 5 days today. On my ultrsound nov 18th I will be 6 weeks 6 days. My first pregnancy ended 6 weeks 5 days and my second was starting to go bad around 5 1/2 weeks. Im trying not to worry. Week by week.
Ugh, I know how you feel.  Try not to stress, though...the less stress, the more likely it is this one's a keeper!!
My breast tenderness has decreased and IM not as bloated...i hope this isnt my symptoms going away. I have progesterone monday and ultrasound thursday. How are you?
Same here-my breast tenderness has decreased and I'm not as bloated....But I had another ultrasound on Friday and saw the heartbeat again.  These symptoms seem to get stronger and weaker/come and go...or our minds are playing tricks on us!  Good luck next week...keep me posted.  I have more bloodwork on Monday, too, but I am not as worried about that although my progesterone did drop a little last time and they wouldn't let me decrease the suppositories (I'm down to 1/day now).  Next major update won't be for 4 more weeks when I have another OB/GYN appointment!  

progesterone today 22.1 so even though i was hoping it would be going up im not unhappy about that. thursday is the big ultrasound day. so far my progesterone has been 29, 21, 25, and now 22.
Yes, agree, I think 22 is fine.  Your #s have been similar to mine - so hopefully they're both good!  Mine have been something like 21, 29, 22, 24, 17.  They let me reduce the progesterone until it got to 17 and then they told me to hold off until the next bloodtest.    Today I took another bloodtest and if the results (tomorrow) show that the progesterone has risen I'll get to quick taking the suppositories altogether.

My bloating seems to be back at nighttime and I've got nausea off and on all day.  What about you?
Everyone here is getting their progesterone checked. Why won't they do it at my REs office? I hope my levels are fine. Should I ask them to test my levels?
ultrasound tomorrow......9am
I'm a bit late responding but I found this for you:

Although it is a vital component of a healthy pregnancy, most doctors believe it is unlikely that a miscarriage can be caused by low progesterone levels. Usually, an abnormal decline in progesterone is a symptom of another factor causing a miscarriage. Still, progesterone levels can fluctuate widely, even during pregnancy, so a drop in progesterone one day may be followed by an increase the next. Also, it is very rare to have two consecutive miscarriages, so having a low progesterone level during a pregnancy that miscarried does not indicate the level of the progesterone during the next.
Maria, You could ask your RE why they're not testing them.  My guess is that they might have tested them once and they were fine so they left them alone.  

My RE told me they put me on progesterone and estrogen supplements because since I didn't get pregnant naturally (I had a FET), my body needed to be given hormones that it would've produced on its own had I gotten pregnant on my own.  Now they're testing my levels at least once a week to see if they can take me off the meds.  By week 8, the placenta takes over the hormone production so I should be off all meds.

That's the answer my RE gave me anyway... but honestly I wonder whether I would've been just fine without any of these meds.  Wtih the drugs, I've got three times as many as necessary to maintain a pregnancy!  
Good luck tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have ultrasound scheduled on Friday, 1st one. I just can't wait to see what's going on inside. I will ask my RE about tests. I am on estrogen pills 2mg twice a day and 1ml of progesterone in oil shot once a day. During the fresh ivf cycle I was only on progesterone shots.  Mine was FET too just like yours 2pn embryos. How many weeks are you now?
Smoochie- how did your ultrasound go?

Maria2707- good luck tomorrow!  I'll be thinking of you.  I think I am 8 weeks 2 days today.  It's weird not to have to wait another couple weeks for another OB/GYN appointment.  And I don't even know when we'll have another u/s.  Maybe not until 12 weeks.  How many weeks are you again?  I think you're one week behind me, is that right?  Let me know how it goes tomorrow!
Had mu us today. Saw twins, one with heart beat at 6.1weeks and other just yolk sac at 5.5 weeks. Don't know if baby B is going to catch up and continue with pregnancy. Going for another ultrasound on Dec 2nd.
I saw a healthy heart beat of 120! I have a small subchorionic bleed and am measuting 6w4d but im pretty sure they are 2 days behind. I have been at this stage and miscarried so I am excited but realistic. I have my next ultrasound dec 1st and next progesterone monday.
Hi all:

Congratulations to u ladies! I just had a question, do you conitnue to monitor your progesterone levels after confirming your pregnancy and how long should you monitor?
maria and smoochie- congrats!!!!!  wow, that's double good news!  and both of you have updates 1 day apart..i will be looking for more good news then!  smoochie, do you know the reason you miscarried after seeing the heartbeat before?  

pregos_or_not, my doctor has continued to monitor my progesterone levels after a confirmed pregnancy.  whenever the levels rise, they reduce the drugs a little and retest a couple days later.  if the levels drop, they keep me on the same meds until levels rise again.  they told me that around 8-9 weeks the placenta takes over the production of progesterone and estrogen, so I think I'll be off all meds after my bloodtest tomorrow (I'm assuming my levels will have gone up enough to drop the last bit of meds I am on right now).  Then they quit monitoring and I'll be in the hands of my regular OB/GYN.  
Progesterone dropped to 19.8, why am I worried? So it's been 29,21,25,22,19.8. Next ultrasound dec 1
I worry about everything, too (isn't that why we are all on this forum?)!  I would not worry unless your doctor is concerned.  Today my progesterone dropped again to - to 16 something - and I was totally worried (okay, I admit I am still worried).  But my nurse said she took a look at all my prior levels and she thinks my progesterone just wants to hover around this area of 17 or so (although it's at its lowest level now).  She said it was probably higher for a while because I was on so many progesterone supplements but its normal state appears to be around the level it is now. So she told me to quit taking my progesterone supplements and retest on Friday.

Maybe the same thing is going on with you.  You're just settling into a normal place?  Have you been reducing your supplements at all?  What did your dr say?
One more thing - 22 to 19.8 is a really small drop.  Plus you had it go down and then back up before..so looks like it could be normal fluctuation.
Okay, I admit you got me more worried about my progesterone levels and i have been searching online for the past hour.  This is soooo stressful and I am now completely worried that my progesterone levels are a bad sign about my pregnancy :(  It seems doctors want to see levels at least 15 or around 20.  (so you are fine).   Of course, since mine are now at 16 something I don't feel as positive.

HOWEVER, I did find plenty of stories from people with not-so-great progesterone levels who delivered healthy babies, so I am trying to force myself to not stress out anymore.   For example, from one person:

"I was on prometrium from weeks 5-13. My original level was 13 and even with the supplements it stayed at 11 until they stopped testing then i am not sure if it went up. I am now 22 weeks with a healthy baby boy on the way."

Hang in there.  You're lucky to have another u/s on Dec 1!

yes, Im going to stay positive. Are you feeling pregnant? I think that is more important. I dont really have much except sore breasts so that is why i am worried. what have your been and when is your next ultrasound?
Sore breasts are pretty much the main symptom in early pregnancy.  Some people don't even have any symptoms and some only have sore breasts. I think that's a good sign.  I looked back at my notes from my pregnancy with my dd...there was a stretch of days where all I had was tender nipples.  I also remember calling my OB on a few different occasions saying that my symptoms had disappeared and they told me to quit worrying, that was normal.

I'm feeling extremely tired, but I wonder whether that's just old age!  I also feel nauseous off and on throughout the day, but that could be the progesterone supplements.  My nipples feel a little tender but that could be supplements, too.  And at night I feel a little bloated...again, could be the supplements.  The meds should be out of my system by Thursday.  

I'm not scheduled for another u/s.  At 7 weeks 2 days, my OB said to come back in a month for another appointment so I'm hoping they'll do another u/s then..actually I think they should be able to hear the heartbeat through a doppler at that point.  That would be almost 3 weeks from now.  I get my levels tested again on Thursday so if those go up (with all the meds out of my system) I will feel a lot better.  

So im hoping that my progesterone is in the 20's tomorrow and I hope for yours to go up on thursday. Keep me posted :)
Im so sad today. Progesterone dropped to 17.6 and with the trending down im so afraid its going to be a miscarriage. I have to wait till next wednesday.
Oh no, is that what the doctor said???  If that's the case, I'm in the same boat as you!  But, my nurse didn't say anything like that.  She didn't seem worried.  What did your nurse/RE say?  I'm so sorry but I really hope you're just stressing (totally natural) but that there's actually nothing to worry about.
So they called and told me the results and gave me the option of starting progesterone suppositories or wait and recheck progesterone friday. I chose to start suppositories but they say they will not recheck my progesterone anymore.  I have ultrasound on wednesday and with the trending down progesterone Im concerned the baby is in trouble. They didnt seem as concerned as I am but they were not positive or reassuring. They said they normally dont check progesterone every week this long and are not always sure what the trend of the progesterone is. Ofcourse a falling progesterone can always mean pending miscarriage...I have been pregnant twice and lost both before 7 weeks. First time I had a heart beat.  I am 7 weeks 4 days today but I dont know if things are ok till wednesday. I dont have nausea, just sore breasts and im gassy.  It makes me feel better you think im over reacting. i hope so. Im also on a very low dose of only 50mg of progesterone once per night.... what were your results ?
Sorry I couldn't check in until today (was away from computer while with relatives for holiday).  But I was thinking about you.  I'm glad your doctor didn't seem worried.  I read somewhere that someone's OB told them how they hate that REs check progesterone because it does nothing but freak patients out for no reason.  It's totally normal for you to worry, especially since you've had two m/c, but try to relax...sounds ok.  Actually, sounds GOOD (!) - you have sore bbs and gas.  My nausea didn't kick in until 8 weeks with my dd.  I have a friend who never had any m/s.  

My update- my progesterone went up to 19.3 on Thursday (altho estradiol went down a little since I went off suppositories after last check) and my RE said all looks great and she's turning me over to my OB..no more bloodwork, anything for RE.  Whew...

BTW, another nurse I spoke with over the holiday told me that they check progesterone levels way more than other clinics and that it's really overkill.  She said plenty of other clinics do no checking and their patients are fine.  

I will be looking for your update after your u/s on Wednesday!

Sounds good! thanks for the encouraging words. I will be in touch hopefully with good news on wed. Its wierd, yesterday i had severe nausea so i thoughts its from the progesterone since i just started it but today nothing! so maybe its pregnancy. I just hope the nausea returns :)  talk to you soon!
How did the ultrasound go today?  I've been sending good thoughts your way.
Good! 8w4d with good heart beat. Still have subchorionic bleed so recheck US next week. Hope that doest turn into anything. Taking progesterone but not rechecking level . How r u?did you do early screen? I'm 30 yrs old
I'm so glad to hear that!!  I was getting worried when you didn't update on Wednesday.  Phew!  I didn't know you had a subchorionic bleed...I don't know much about those but does that mean you've seen blood or it's internal?  I have heard those are pretty common and in fact I think I had one with my dd.

I had a bit of a scare last night.  I had a tiny bit of bleeding which freaked me out at first and then it went away so I felt a little better.  Today I had an emergency u/s and everything is fine.  We saw the baby, measuring right on track at 10 weeks 1 day.  

We decided to do bloodwork and then do a follow-up u/s at 12 weeks...we may still decide to do diagnostic testing, either a CVS or amnio.  I'm 42 so there's no doubt we were going to do some type of testing.  Are you going to do any?  
Long story but my egg is actually from when I was 38 (we did a frozen embryo transfer) so at least that's better than 42...
Im not sure if i should, at 30 im lower risk, my husband is adopted so we dont know anything about his side, but part of me thinks if i get some 1 in something odds of having something i might just worry more, im undecided. Im looking forward to dec 10th, next us i hope everything still looks good, im 9 weeks tomorrow. Im on pelvic rest till the subchorionic bleed decreased, its internal and they hope it resolves.
I need reasurance, no symptoms for 2 days except sore nipples and very little nausea over last week, us is on Friday
Pregnancy symptoms come and go.  I had that a lot with this pregnancy and they always came back with a vengence.  Good luck friday.
You are saying exactly what I said when I was pregnant with my dd:  "my ONLY symptom is sore nipples" except you've got nausea, too.   Those are symptoms!! :)  Now that I'm pregnant for the second time, all I've got is sore nipples and a bigger stomach which is probably just leftover pudge from my first pregnancy (;)  but I'm not at all worried about "lack" of symptoms because I definitely remember that from my first pregnancy - only having sore nipples.  I was always so worried then, calling my dr, etc., but now I'm just glad that I don't suffer from all the other terrible symptoms I could be having.  Enjoy and try to relax..I know it's hard!
Thanks! Second ultrasound is tomorrow. Im 1. praying for healthy heart beat and dates to still be correct and 2. subchorionic bleed to be gone... I started out pretty small and im petite and have already gained 6lb so im just counting it as a positive pregnancy symptom :)
Congratulations....
When I was pg, I have no symptom at all even sore nipples.  We're so lucky, so enjoy your pg.  My son will be 5 months old this Xmas.
Babywanted- Thanks for the congrats!

Smoochie- Yet another pregnancy symptom! :)  Good luck tomorrow...let me know how it goes.
How did your ultrasound go yesterday?
It went soo good. 10 week fetus with strong heart beat moving around and the subchorionic bleed is gone!  Im starting to feel soo much more hopeful about this being the one! 2 more weeks and im out of 1st trimester! How are you guys?  

only thing is i went on the progesterone at 7.5 weeks when my progesterone dropped now my ob says to stop it and they are not checking progesterone...im scared to stop it but i do trust my ob....
Congratulations!!  After the first ultrasound when you didn't post right away, I was worried, but I knew this one would be a good one.  You saw the heartbeat at 10 weeks so are really looking good now!!  When I went in at 10 weeks 1 day because of a little bleeding, the nurse said my chances were much higher after seeing the heartbeat after 10 weeks.  Hooray!

I would not worry one bit about the progesterone.  The placenta is producing all the progesterone needed now.

We go in on Tuesday for our detailed ultrasound, where they're going to test for abnormalities.  They'll look at nuchal fold, etc. and give us the results of our bloodwork from 2 weeks ago.  I'm feeling okay but of course I'm not completely relaxed given the baby still have to look healthy on this u/s and there's still a looooong way to go...

Are you still going to check in with this post?
Thanks for the questions and comments. I forget that I’m not the only one who worries about such things. Also Congrats to you both! Things are sounding wonderful!

When I was pg the past summer (ended in mc) I was always worried about my progesterone as well. I was put on Prometrium right away, well after my first blood work. Anyhow, I think finally my DH and I got the deed done. I still have to wait a few days to do a HPT. But I was wondering what you two may think if I started to take Prometrium now? I've heard of women taking it right after ovulation to up their progesterone for pg. It’s just so hard to get a hold of my OB at times (especially on my end bc I work the graveyard shift).
Hi, I'm sorry but I have no idea whether you should start the prometrium or not.  I would definitely try to get your OB right away and ask.  I was on endometrium...is that the same as prometrium?  if so, I'd say you could go ahead and start that, if you can't get hold of your OB for some reason.  I've got no medical expertise whatsoever, but since my RE started me on that right after the transfer, I imagine it's safe to take, especially if you've already been prescribed it.  But I'd try to get a hold of your OB ASAP.
I did a little of research on Endometrium and Prometrium. They seem the same. I know Prometrium is for progesterone and I read Endometrium is the same thing. Med help says this for both Endometrium and Prometrium, “This medication is used to restore menstrual cycles in women whose cycles have stopped. Progesterone is a natural female hormone that is needed to keep menstrual periods regular.” So I’m guessing there is no difference. This is kind of odd to me. What were you told by your RE why you need to take Endometrium?

I’m a little bum, I took a HPT when I woke up and it came out BFN but so did my OPK so that good. I had a BFP for my OPK for 8 days in a row. So I assuming since I don’t know what day I O’d I probably just tested too early. It’s nice to see that I’m not OPKing anymore.
How were your results? My early screen is dec 24th. Hoping to hear good news from you!
Nolta- I hope you just tested early..my fingers are crossed for you.  My RE put me on prometrium just as a precaution since I did an FET.  I think the nurse said that if you get pregnant naturally, your progesterone levels will go up naturally, but if you do a FET then you have to supplement.

Smoochie29- #s weren't great :(  They were better than my age and considered "negative" for Down Syndrome and Trisomy 18, but they were close to "borderline" so I'm really bummed out.  Our next scan isn't for another 5 weeks, and results won't be back for another week or 10 days after that...I cannot believe I have to wait that long.  I'm sure your screening will go better since you are much younger!  
So i got a home doppler so now i can hear the heart beat every day and feel better. i have my early screen friday
Ladies please! please! please! stop watching over the cooking pot!!! i'm sure you have all heard the phrase "a watched pot don't cook." Well that is my point, i myself am going through a similar situation, LMP gest. age is 4wks5days and U/S shows nothing... OB told me "he wishes he could tell me different but unfortunately he cannot, but after 32 yrs of experience he is almost sure the pregnancy will not be successful." I just keep in mind that not everyone is the same and not every Dr. went to school to learn me; and most importantly that whatever the outcome is, it's Gods will.
Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers