Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Is this amount of pain after an HSG normal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

I had my HSG yeserday morning and am in such pain tonight!!  I can't believe it.  After the procedure the nurse leaned into me and kind of whispered "are you alright?  He (the dr.) was being kind of rough with you".  I said yes, it was painful during the HSG but then I was fine.    The handout I was given about the procedure said to go ahead and resume daily activities.  So,  a few hrs later I went on a fairly strenuous walk.   During the walk I started having lots of pain in my bladder, and cervix.  I started having what felt like contractions in my (sorry tmi) vaginal area.  It felt like my uterus was going to drop right out while I was walking.  I was about 2 miles from home when this happend so I had no choice but to keep walking even though it was painful.  Anyhow, now today I'm still bleeding, my bladder hurts, its very painful to pee, I can't walk from the kitchen to the living room because of the pain.  I have an u/s scheduled tomorrow!! Not sure how I'm going to handle that given the amount of pain I'm in right now.  It even hurts (again sorry tmi) just if my underware touches me.  Sorry this is such a long post and that I sound like I'm whining.  Have any of you experienced this more than 24 hrs after your procedure?

I didn't have any pain after my HSG and I had a blocked tube!  You should definitely see a dr. if it continues to hurt that bad!  I know 2 others who have had the HSG also with no pain afterwards... Good luck, I hope you feel better!
Thx. rxyrxx.  I will call the dr. tomorrow.  I'm nervous I'll be missing work again tomorrow.  I've already missed one day this week for the HSG, and may miss another depending on what day I o' for my IUI.  I really hope this pain doesn't increase by morning.

I also posted on the group thread, but my RE told me that I should call the office if I experienced heavy bleeding, fever or pelvic pain.  I think you should call -- it can't hurt.

Feel better

Mary
No - my pain was only during the test and not after at all. I think I went home and cried that afternoon b/c the whole experience was so awful...  I hope you're alright!  My dr as he was doing it said, "Everything's going great." I yelled back, "Yeah - from your perspective!"  I wanted to have him bend over and let me blow up a balloon in his rectum to see if he liked it!
So sorry about the pain!  I had bleeding for a while after HSG but no pain.  I think you should talk to your doc tomorrow if pain continues.
How are you feeling today?  I hope much better, those symptoms didn't sound good.
Are you feeling better today?  What did your RE say?  Were you able to do the u/s?
Just wanted to check in and see how you are feeling today.  I hope everything goes well
Thanks for replying everyone!  

Yes, I'm still in pain.  Can barely sit and walking is very painful also.  I haven't called my dr yet because I've been in my classroom all morning.  It's my lunch break now so I'll e-mail my dr.  I'm expelling brown and red clumps of tissue also.  No, it wasn't my regular dr.  I've never seen this dr. before.

Oh no!  So sorry about the pain.  I hope your u/s will bring some good news to cheer you up!
when i had my hsg done...with in a few hours i had alot of pain...so i called my RE and he called in a prescription and said it probably was an infection...he gave me antibiotics for a few days to make sure it would clear up...are you still in pain?
I can't believe your still in pain!  Did you call the dr.  I know how hard it must be to take so much time off of work when your a teacher (o ya, I'm a teacher too)... you just need to take off if you have to cuz I can't imagine teaching my kiddos in so much pain!  Hopefully by now your feeling better!  Keep us posted!  Good luck!
Yep, still in pain.  Get this, my fertility specialist said this isn't normal and to follow up with my OB and/or go to urgent care.  So, I followed up with my OB and his office told me, "This is very normal, we see this all the time.  It's just a delayed reaction to the trauma caused by the HSG."    Anyhow, my RE won't do my IUI tomorrow until  my OB rules out pelvic infection or urinary track infection.   My OB, doesn't think it's necessarty to be seen because to him my symptoms are normal.  So, all my OB was willing to do was have me give him urinalysis to rule out UTI.  I'm sure the pain will go away eventually, I 'm most concerened about the affects this will have on my IUI.  I'm just going to think positive leave it up to God and not worry.  

I think it may be a  
oops, I hit send on accident.  LOL

I think it's probably a reaction to the dye, or iodine maybe I'm a bit allergic.  Don't know.

Lisa,
sounds like a cycle from hell!
My RE is also my obgyn so at least I don't have to run between two docs and to deal with the two disagreeing since they are the same person.  
I just hope this IUI will work for you!
Well I know many of us in our buddy post have had weird cycles this month yourself included.  I was thinking mine was the only normal one, at least until now.  I hope the IUI works well for me too!
This is total BS.  It makes no sense that your RE wouldn't r/o pelvic infection or UTI.  Why did he need to send you back to OB? He could just as easily run cultures.  Sounds like it must have been very frustrating.
Yes, it was very frustrating.  My RE couldn't do tests because I wasn't at this office and it does get a bit complicated the way my insurance works.  My RE isn't with Kaiser, who my insurance is with.  When I see my OB and when my OB  orders procedures, my insurance covers it.  When my RE sees me and orders procedures, my insurance will maybe cover 50% and maybe they'll cover nothing.  So, I was sent to my OB, from my RE to have the HSG and u/s.  Hence I was at the hospital my OB works at while having  my u/s.  My RE was only conferring with me over the phone.  Confusing I know, it's very confusing and frustrating for me.  Now I'm thinking, Ok, so who gives me my  u/s results?  RE or OB?  When do I get them!  Yes, it frustrates me.
Update, I'm feeling much better today.  I think I was having an allergic reaction to the dye/iodine.  I did some research on the internet, and it is rare but it does happen.  My symptoms match those of an allergy to the dye or iodine.  So now I'm gearing up this morning for my IUI!
Good luck with your IUI!  If all works good I'll be doing it on Sunday so we'll be on our TWW together =)
Good luck Sunday!  I'm having mine at 1pm today.  This will be my 3rd try.  How about you is this your first?
Well I have went in for an IUI 2 months ago and opted not to do it because I had the bigger follicles on the side that my tube was blocked. Last month the samet thing happened but my RE insited we do and let us do it free (which was nice) even though we knew it wouldn't work =(  so this will be my 3rd attempt and I am hoping i am producing the bigger ones on my open side if not we won't do it.
Just wanted to know if sever pain and bloating is normal after my HSG