Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
Jump starting your period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

Jump starting your period

My doctor put me on Prometrium pills for 10 days to start my period because I was late but didn't ovulate last month.  Once my period starts I'm supposed to call the office so they can call in a prescription for Clomid.  My question is I'm on day 7 and still no period.  I was spotting yesterday but that's it.  Should I call the doctor or wait until day 10 to see if it starts?  (Day 10 is Saturday.)  Has anyone else had to take medicine to start their periods?  How long did it take for the medicine to work?
so when you say day seven you already finished the 10 pills right? from what i have read it can take up to 14 days after the last pill. my doc considered spotting as af, i would call. what dosage are you on? i took 100mg for ten days, and called after 14 days when nothing happened. now i have to take 200mg every time, but it only takes 2-4 days after the last pill now.
I was on agystin for 10 days, and then within 2 weeks I was supposed to get my period.  Tomorrow marks the 2 week mark and nothing! Has anyone tried this, or is what you are taking better?  I need to start getting a period and ovulating soon so I can start trying to conceive.

I started taking them last Thursday so day 7 after starting them.  I was wondering why there were so many pills in the bottle.  I didn't know you had to take the first 10 pills before your period will start.  It would have been nice if the doctor told me that!  :-)  I'm taking 200mg and was told to call when I have a regular flow and not when I'm spotting.  Thank you for clearing that up for me.  I was starting to get worried because I thought my period would start within a few days of starting the medicine.  My other question now is do I just take the medicine for 10 days or do I take all the pills?  I'll have 10 more pills left after I finish the first 10 unless it's in case the IUI doesn't work this month and I have to jump start my period next month?  Maybe I'll give the doctor a call tomorrow to find out.  I'm wondering if the pharmacy misread the instructions and gave me 2 months worth of pills instead of one.  Thanks again for the information!
I have no idea if there's any difference between what you're taking and what I'm taking.  This is the first time I've taking anything like this.
my pharmacy gives me a three month supply, they do that so you only have to pay one copay. it's actually kind of nice because mine is $20 whether i get ten or thirty.  i would start counting the day after you last pill, so sunday.  I'm currently cd39 and it has been 4 days since my last prometrium, still waiting...
Hi there i am on Provera to kick start my AF and im on day 6 -i was only given and suppossed to take 10 pills. I was told af would start within 4-5 days after the last pill..im really anxious to start my first IUI treatment too and was really dissapointed that i didnt ovulate!
I'd double check with your doc (or the pharmacist), but I'm almost positive that you should only be taking 10 pills (the pharmacy might have just given you a 2-month supply to make it easier for the "next time").  I've taken Prometrium and Provera about a half dozen times to jump start my period and each time it usually takes anywhere from 2-5 days after the last pill for my period to show up.  Everyone is different though, so you might get it sooner or later.  My doctor told me to count even just the slightest spotting as the beginning of my period, but I would go with what your doctor told you.  

Good luck with your IUI!
I haven't had any spotting or anything yet! If this aygestin doesn't work, then maybe I can try one of those other medications.  

I had a huge bottle of agyestin as I was on Lupron and that was the "add-back" therapy so I didn't need to get a prescription refilled.  The nurse just told me to take 10 pills.  Your doctor didn't tell you how many to take?  You just might want to double check to see how long that they want you on it.  They said that after the 10 pills my period could come anywhere in the next two weeks.  Today is the 2 week mark and I have had nothing, no spotting, etc... I felt a few cramps in the last few days, but still no withdrawal period is what they called it.

Hopefully this works but if not then hopefully there is something else that can help.  
Thanks ladies!  That cleared up a lot of confusion for me.  :-)
i did the iui after jump starting my period and i started on my own for the next month telling me the iui didnt get me pregnant they tell you to wait like 30 days after the iui then call if you dont or do start your period hopefully you dont start which means you could be pregnant good luck!!