Life span of sperms after Sperm Wash for IUI
G_S
For the IUI, my RE instructs us to collect sample at home. It usually takes us 30-45 mins to reach their office after that. Then the spems are 'washed' and we are called back after 1 hr. I have 2 questions:
1. In this whole cycle from the time of ejacualation till the actual IUI (approx. 2 hrs) , dont the sperms die or something. Makes me wonder if IUI are really effictive in this model.
2. What is the life of the 'washed' sperms inside the woman's body after these are injected by means of IUI? Eg. If I ovulate say 12-24 hrs after the IUI, will the sperms still be there for the released egg?
I always relied on this info that I got from FertilityPlus website:

Q: How long does washed sperm live?

A: Current research indicates that washed sperm can live 24-72 hours; however, it does lose potency after 24 hours. Another issue with IUI is that the sperm can keep on swimming beyond the fallopian tube, so the ideal window is really within 6-12 hours of the egg being released, with a larger margin before ovulation than after since the egg's viability is shorter. Sperm can live up to 5 days in fertile mucus, 2-3 days being pretty common, so combining IUI with intercourse may provide better coverage.

Good luck!!  I hope this 2ww goes by quickly for you.
Well, from what I remember, as long as the sample gets to the office within one hour, it should be fine. The sperm won't die within that time, because it is nourished by the seminal fluid. Once there, I believe they wait for it to liquify and then wash the sample. I'm not sure how long washed sperm can live, though. I've heard a lot of different theories on that, but I asked my RE about it once, and she said they've had washed sperm in an incubator that lived several days, so she said not to worry about it.

:-)

G_S
Thanks for this info. I was also imagining the sperms swimming our of the fallopian tube....so here is my imagination documented on Fertility plus.

Hmmm...tricky...My RE asks us to abstain for 2 days before IUI so that the count is good and here they recomment BD with IUI (poor dh will be struggling for breath with this frequency :) )

I have a IUI tomorrow as well. Hope I get covered. Thanks for your wishes. I really hope this is my month.

G_S
Thanks for the info Heather5. I hope my timings are right